Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X To Cost Less Than The S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would think Tesla would make all cars AWD once they get the technology down. With electric it's such a HUGE advantage at a relatively small cost. It would put Tesla's electrics in the far superior category all the time. AWD ICEs will be sub Tesla and non AWD ICEs will look pathetic.

I would think Tesla would make all cars AWD once they get the technology down. With electric it's such a HUGE advantage at a relatively small cost. It would put Tesla's electrics in the far superior category all the time. AWD ICEs will be sub Tesla and non AWD ICEs will look pathetic.

In my opinion, vehicle stability control eliminates most of the advantages of AWD.

My observation from when the Model X was announced is those who do not plan on getting one think it will (should) cost more. Those who are actually considering buying it (me) argue the price will truly be close to the Model S. Although a little less consistently, the same holds true for an AWD option.

As for the cost of AWD version (just to contradict myself) I am beginning to suspect they will make this option only available with a mandatory suite of other options like the performance option with the Model S. I sure hope I am wrong.

Well a Porsche 911 is $9,500 more for AWD. Granted the Panamera is only a $5,000 premium for AWD.

This ($5000) is what I have budgeted for an AWD option on the X. In my comparisons, most major manufacturers price their SUV below their high end sedans and AWD seems to be a $5000.00 option if it isn't already part of the base cost.

- - - Updated - - -

I am hoping that it will not be too much more, in part because I'm hoping an 8% annual reduction in battery costs will offset the higher cost of falcon doors and bigger vehicle (nicer interior).

I also am hoping that the AWD option will not be an additional $10,000 more. There is no ICE automaker that charges a $10,000 premium for an AWD model over a FWD model (ceteris paribus).

I am really hoping that the "options" that will be announced on the 12th will include a larger battery option and that these options trickle down to the X. I wonder if the 100 kwh battery could replace the 85, 85 kwh replace the 60 kwh and the 40 could be cut completely all at the current price point, given the 8 % battery reduction costs?

AWD will mean an additional inverter and motor, I think it is more likely to be a $10k option.
I also expect the X to cost more than the S to pay for the fancy doors and 3rd row.

Lastly, I would bet that Tesla has carefully modeled the battery cost reductions over the next few years and have planned them into their profit margins - making slightly less on the first cars, and more on later cars.

Does anyone know of more up to date pricing for the Model X with AWD. All Wheel Drive is a necessity for me as I drive in the snow. I am thinking of ordering a X soon.

All we've seen so far is the prototype - there has been no pricing information except for 'similar to the Model S'. Not 'the same as', only 'similar'.

You can put a refundable deposit down and wait for more information.