Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X: What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model X is less than 24 hours new... this is it sitting in my garage at 90%...
Don't overlook... it's in KILOMETRES!

90percent.png

Been away from TMC for a while but just saw this thread. My P90DL has 7,400 miles on it and 90% is 220 miles. When I first got the car, it was 225, so I pointed out the drop to Tesla and the local SC's response was basically that the car is learning that I have a high Wh/mi (mainly because my trips are almost entirely short and therefore cooling/heating the cabin burns quite a bit at the start of each trip) and lowering my rated mileage. I think this is wrong as my Wh/mi would swing rated miles much farther than 225 to 220.

When I first got the car, the consumption graph Rated line appeared to be dead on 330 Wh/mi but I noticed this weekend that it's a bit above that now. I'm guessing it's around 335 Wh/mi or so -- I wasn't able to get the Average and Rated lines to overlap. So now I'm wondering if the Rated Wh/mi on my car is now up to 335. Is anyone else seeing something similar?

Screenshot of the 330/335 Wh/mi consumption graph attached.

Attachments

• IMG_6617.JPG
    IMG_6617.JPG
    737.6 KB · Views: 64
My 90D (3 months old) has about 2800 miles on it now. It has steadily declined from a 90% charge of 238 to 230 miles now. In addition, my 100% charge now hits 256 miles. So far, I am disappointed in the battery life degradation, but hopefully it settles down and I don't lose any more range.

My 90% is now down to 232. A few weeks ago I tried to do a 100% charge and at 99%, I was at 259. Go figure.

But if the actual value is not based on the state of the battery then it seems to go against the thought that RM is only the size of the battery ratio with the EPA rating.

My 90% about a week ago was 379km. Now my 90% is only 374km. Am I to believe that I'm going to lose 5km of range a week?
There is a small loss in range in the beginning as the battery settles in, but it will stabilize. My 90% is 365km (227 miles), but I have a P90D.

The reverse is true with the tires and your range will improve as the tires wear in. Hopefully, they'll balance each other out.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SSD420
My 90D (3 months old) has about 2800 miles on it now. It has steadily declined from a 90% charge of 238 to 230 miles now. In addition, my 100% charge now hits 256 miles. So far, I am disappointed in the battery life degradation, but hopefully it settles down and I don't lose any more range.
Disappointed??? 100% charge per spec is 257. Your only getting 256. Do you think 1 mile is significant difference?

Reactions: BG121
My 90% about a week ago was 379km. Now my 90% is only 374km. Am I to believe that I'm going to lose 5km of range a week?

There is a small loss in range in the beginning as the battery settles in, but it will stabilize. My 90% is 365km (227 miles), but I have a P90D.

The reverse is true with the tires and your range will improve as the tires wear in. Hopefully, they'll balance each other out.
Don't forget that you'll see some battery drain so it's best to check immediately after charging completes and not right before it starts again.

Disappointed??? 100% charge per spec is 257. Your only getting 256. Do you think 1 mile is significant difference?

From 257 spec to 256 actual, it is not a large drop, I agree. However, when I first got the car, it was 265 at 100%. I just checked today and my 90% dropped another mile to 229. That's from 238 new to 229 at 3100 miles. My car is a 90D. In comparison, I see P90D's with a 90% of 227 (look at the above post).

Took a 'short' trip to NJ this weekend where traffic was horrific. Went 160 miles r/t took 6 hours r/t. Started with 257 (used trip rated) and returned home with only 65 miles left. So rather than 257 got about 225. Not too good in my opinion. No high speed of course. Does stop/start and delay in traffic effect the range so much???

Took a 'short' trip to NJ this weekend where traffic was horrific. Went 160 miles r/t took 6 hours r/t. Started with 257 (used trip rated) and returned home with only 65 miles left. So rather than 257 got about 225. Not too good in my opinion. No high speed of course. Does stop/start and delay in traffic effect the range so much???
I can imagine having the AC running for 6hrs contributed to at least 1/3 of the 32 mile discrepancy.