Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X: What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll
Update again at 10k miles. But so far my 90D has better rated range than it did when I first got it. Delivered was 236,261. Now with 9,300 miles I have 237, 264. I'm also not shy of doing 100% charges anytime I drive more than 120 miles in a day so that when I get home I won't have to charge longer.

Pretty sure I read in the manual or in "Owning Model S" that when the Tesla is connected to the EVSE all internal systems pull from that rather than from the battery
Two different things. It's the pre-warming or pre cooling that is drawn from the power source rather than the battery if the car is plugged in. Vampire drain happens even if plug in. Now if you wake the car before you are ready to leave, I think it will start charging again to make up the vampire deficit.

Two different things. It's the pre-warming or pre cooling that is drawn from the power source rather than the battery if the car is plugged in. Vampire drain happens even if plug in. Now if you wake the car before you are ready to leave, I think it will start charging again to make up the vampire deficit.

Vampire drain is real but I curbed the drain a bit by putting the car in energy saving mode. With the MX charged to 90%, always connected left checked, the car is still at 90% and has not lost any noticeable range. The car has been unplugged since Sunday. I'd lose about 1% a day previous to making the change. The only trade-off I've noticed is that the car may take as much as 10 seconds to boot up when you enter. This is a minor trade off IMHO.

90D:
90% - 235 rated
10,250 miles
328 wh/mi avg

90% - 229
90D with ~20k miles

Updating:
90% - 226
90D with ~33k miles
Consistently at 226 since soon after my above 20k miles post. Have not balanced at a SC in a long time if that could make a difference.

90D - 42k miles
90% = 224 (been jumping between 224 & 225 for the past week or so - still have not balanced)

Could anyone talk about this balancing? What's an indication that you should do it and what effect it will have?

Balancing is when you supercharge from a very low percentage (0-5%) all the way up to 100% full. My understanding is that balancing will essentially 'recalibrate' the battery/computer or whatever so you see a more accurate representation of your charge. (Others will definitely have a better understanding of this than I do).