Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if already mentioned but I am thinking of updating my P85 to an X75 - anyone know if this would mean a HUGE reduction in range or have batteries moved on?

thanks for any help!

I haven't had a P85, but our X75D has a lifetime wh/mi of 360. I drive with a pretty heavy foot and did not change my driving habits compared to an ICE car. This gives me a real world range of approximately 200 miles, but I've been down as low as ~150 (~450-550wh/mi) if it gets cold enough and down to about 75 miles (~900wh/mi) while towing an open trailer in the cold.

Hope that helps.

The rated miles for each should pretty much tell the tale. They are adjusted for each model.

The X is not super bad, but it's range is about comparable to an S with the next lower battery. I think you'd notice a significant hit from the P85 to an X75.

not sure how you are daily driving but in anything under 175 miles a day you won't notice a thing.

on road trips you will notice that max distance on 100% will be 230 miles if perfect conditions 60mph, or more realistically 200 miles.

this means you will have to supercharge about 30 minutes longer at each stop and it may add 1 more stop depending on mileage. For example from Atlanta to Nashville 250 miles both the 75D and 100D will have to supercharge in Chattanooga but the 75D will be about 20min longer or you will have to charge longer when you arrive in Nashville. Interestingly both size batteries will need to charge so you are stopping no matter what you buy.

For longer trips like Atlanta to Miami it will add 1 more supercharge stop increasing total charging time by about 1 hour.

I suggest you use EVplanner to see examples.

But for daily use? Unless your commute is over 175 miles you won't notice a thing as long as you recharge overnight.

Reactions: Stasla
I got rid of my S75D for a X75D with the 22" wheels. What can I expect for actual range? The SC was really trying to talk me out of getting the 75 and getting a 100 instead. I just couldn't justify the large jump in price for a little more range when most of my driving is within a 25 mile radius.

I got rid of my S75D for a X75D with the 22" wheels. What can I expect for actual range? The SC was really trying to talk me out of getting the 75 and getting a 100 instead. I just couldn't justify the large jump in price for a little more range when most of my driving is within a 25 mile radius.

With 80-90 % charge probably looking at 140-150 miles real range u should have got 100 or put 20s on :eek:

With a 75D you're looking at about 200miles with a heavy foot. With 22", thats dropping to 170.

If that's enough for your everyday driving, then go for it. I did calculations on abetterrouteplanner.com and im probably not going to spend $16.5k to save less than 10 hours of charging a year.

Reactions: Pentium2004
If you're worried about range, then don't get 22s. Your ride quality will also decrease dramatically. As far as "just getting the 100D", it's a $17K difference for essentially a ~20% increase in range. Not worth it, IMO. You're still going to have to supercharge, it's just going to add a few more minutes to the stop. There is nothing wrong with a 75D. It's the best value for the money by far.

I went from a P85 on 19s to an X90D on 20s. The extra battery capacity and dual motor improvement seems to have pretty much matched the decrease in aero. I am seeing basically identical range. The X75 will be worse. Only you can say if that matters to you.

Real life difference in range between the 90D and 75D is minimal. Most 90D owners report max 75kWh usable on a 100-0% run, our 75D X pulls consistently 68-70kWh, so a real life difference of only 5kWh.

The 100D does have ALOT more range but than its associated with extra cost, almost enough to pay for a Model 3 base -> Performance upgrade.

I live in the UK which is a tiny island with grid lock traffic and slow roads, a 200 mile trip is 3hr of solid driving on clear roads in rush hour your looking at 5-6hrs!!! So for us 200miles ish 75D X range is not an issue, 22k in 16 months, with only a daily 5 mile commute.

Currently waiting for the tyres on the stock 20inch to wear down so I can install the 22 referal wheels.

Money saved by not going for 100D is going straight to the Model 3 performance fund, cannot wait to have two of these amazing cars on the driveway :).

42132572724_061a05e2c1_k_d.jpg

Get the 100d. As mentioned, longer charge times when on long trips with 75. An extra hour can be signifcant when on a multi day road trip. Also consider if you want to tow in the future (camper, utility), as well as range loss with time (around 10%) and the fact you don’t want to be charging to 100% too frequently.

I went with the 75 with the idea that battery costs will come down in the future for an easy upgrade, in hindsight would’ve paid the extra money and went with the 100d for above reasons.

Also have the 22s, aesthetics are personal opinion but I think the 22s fill the wheel wells much better, for a more sturdy/balanced look with the large body of the x. Again, it’s personal preference, but in hindsight would not change my decision about tire size.

Also comparing ride quality with a service center X, it is a little bit more rough over bumps but didn’t notice a huge difference in noise, I have the Perelli Scorpions which have been excellent in rain and snow of the Pacific Northwest. Also in terms of reduced efficiency my watt hours are around 350 with highway driving around 65. Not sure if that is a correlation to 170 rated range as someone mentioned above.

Real life difference in range between the 90D and 75D is minimal. Most 90D owners report max 75kWh usable on a 100-0% run, our 75D X pulls consistently 68-70kWh, so a real life difference of only 5kWh.
Oh, certainly. The 90 was not really a 90, and the 75 is very close to a 75. But I bought it for the power difference, and got a great deal on an inventory car. Of course then a few months later all the 75s got to be almost as fast, so ... oh well? Either way I think the comparison is useful to the OP.