Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xenon HID upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is offering Xenon HID as an option on the Roadster now - the supplier of the headlights for the Model S came up with them. They are apparently also available as a retrofit upgrade but I'm told the price is $2,250. Since I got the initial fix on my fogging headlights (there is apparently a better fix coming) I am more than happy with my current headlights; it's amazing how bright they are when they're not fogged up!

$2250 for HID upgrades? I haven't ever upgraded my headlights before, but this sounds overly expensive. Any thoughts?

Anyone here try cover just one headlight? And then the other?

Those with stock headlights and especially those with the homebrew HID conversion. I found something weird. Maybe I'm not the only one...

Wow you guys are thinking something magical happens. It's nothing like that. More like an anomaly. Just want to see if other have it

I'm sitting in a small town in southern Minnesota. I can imagine that covering one headlight makes something really cool happen or I can look at the hunting equipment on sale at Cabelas or I can listen to the farm report. I vote for magic from covering one headlight. And now you harshed my reality. Pfffffyt.

You aren't talking about the aim / pattern being different are you?
Lots of cars have the driver's side aimed a bit lower so as not to 'blind' the oncoming traffic to your left. (For North America)

But, maybe you know that, and something else more peculiar was observed?

$2250 for HID upgrades? I haven't ever upgraded my headlights before, but this sounds overly expensive. Any thoughts?
My impression is that HIDs have always been expensive. In 1998, it was more than $1,000 to upgrade my off-road truck with HIDs. In 2000, after looking into the cost of upgrading my 1990 car with HIDs, I ended up buying a new car that came with HIDs rather than spend the money retrofitting a ten-year-old car. Perhaps $2,250 is double the actual cost, but the Tesla Roadster is such a small market that it could easily add that much to the cost to get something that fits perfectly and works to the Tesla Motors standard of quality. Considering the $4,500 price tag for the Infotainment system (formerly $3,000 from Tesla), I think $2,250 sounds like a steal.

i.e. There's a reason that the teenage rice rocketeers buy tinted halogen bulbs to look like HIDs instead of actually footing the bill for the real thing: The real thing costs too much!

aww man...looks like I will have to wait.

Hi Bob,

Hope you had a great weekend!

We've very recently introduced the Xenon headlight option for improved lighting and style. At this time it is only available as an option upgrade to the custom-order Roadsters. This option was released after you had placed your order, so will not be included on your Roadster. However, sometime in September, the Xenon lamps will also be available as an upgrade to already built Roadsters. We will make an announcement when this option is ready.

Kind regards,