Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM Radio Favorites - Tesla broke it - says it's "as designed". Hasn't used a radio in 40 years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect it's a generational difference. Whoever changed the algorithm thinks the favorites should be in order of predicted gratification, instead of a tool to navigate quickly to your actual choice in the moment. Sort of like how I watch a couple of woodworking videos and YouTube decides I'd like to see Every Woodworking Video in the World.
All Hail the Mighty Recommendation Algorithm!!

• Funny
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
Ok - will try that tomorrow. Thanks!

Have you noticed if the Sirius also show up in Recents/Favorites now too?

they do, but they're scattered all over the place. in my case, i end up with one or two SXM favorites, then a bunch of spotify favorites, then some tune in, then another SXM...etc, etc, etc.

i don't understand why they can't just give us favorites like every other car radio on the planet. or at least have the option for it...

pro tip: once you get the favorites the way you want, don't ever change them. I deleted mine trying to reorder them and get some new ones into the scroll wheel rotation...and now it won't save any. the star lights up, but then when I go back to the favorites screen, they all disappear.

I hate this stupid GD car.

edit: it took me several scroll wheel reboots, a complete power down for 5 minutes (using power off in the menu), and then another scroll wheel reboot after the power down to get it to let me add favorites again. it did lead me to an interesting finding, though...

i noticed that i had two of those "hidden favorites" that @SabrToothSqrl was talking about...after i re-added all of mine, at one point in the list it jumped from a favorite to a non-favorite, then went back to sequential from there. i favorited that channel, then unfavorited, then went back to a favorite in the list and started over again...same thing happened, but with a different channel. did the same thing to clear that one. interestingly enough: now it cycles through all 27 of my favorites - not just the first 22 like it was previously.

no rhyme or reason as to why or how this was happening...

Last edited:
pro tip: once you get the favorites the way you want, don't ever change them. I deleted mine trying to reorder them and get some new ones into the scroll wheel rotation...and now it won't save any. the star lights up, but then when I go back to the favorites screen, they all disappear.

I hate this stupid GD car.

edit: it took me several scroll wheel reboots, a complete power down for 5 minutes (using power off in the menu), and then another scroll wheel reboot after the power down to get it to let me add favorites again. it did lead me to an interesting finding, though...

i noticed that i had two of those "hidden favorites" that @SabrToothSqrl was talking about...after i re-added all of mine, at one point in the list it jumped from a favorite to a non-favorite, then went back to sequential from there. i favorited that channel, then unfavorited, then went back to a favorite in the list and started over again...same thing happened, but with a different channel. did the same thing to clear that one. interestingly enough: now it cycles through all 27 of my favorites - not just the first 22 like it was previously.

no rhyme or reason as to why or how this was happening...
That stinks. So, if that is true, when I delete all mine and reenter, so hopefully I can scroll thru favorites, the same thing you described might happen? Now not sure what to do.

That stinks. So, if that is true, when I delete all mine and reenter, so hopefully I can scroll thru favorites, the same thing you described might happen? Now not sure what to do.

I think even if you encounter this bug you'll be able to clear it at some point, even if that means leaving it sit overnight to power down. my guess is the power off for 5 mins then reboot is what allowed me to finally add favorites again.

I'm guessing I had a hidden favorite as described here all along, and that's why I could only cycle through 22 with the wheel. once I got rid of those, it now goes thru them all.

the entire system is just so poorly designed, it's madness...

another day, another rage inducing interaction with the SXM tuner...

when I took my car out this morning, it was still operating as it did last night (cycling through all 28 favorites). when I left the garage this evening, the touchscreen had rebooted (black screen with Tesla logo)...and now it's back to only cycling through 25 favorites. which is more than the 22 it was doing before last night, but not the full 28 it was doing last night and this morning.

every time I drive this car, i understand more and more how Elon made Twitter less than half as valuable as what he purchased it for in less than six months.

Reactions: cwerdna and DBV1
today it's back to cycling thru all favorites... but they're out of order.

I swear you can't make this stuff up. do they test anything before releasing it?

edit: this seems like it might be profile related. my wife took the car this morning for a bit - i reset all of the favorites into the correct order again, so it's working for now. it was going through them all again...until i switched profiles. now it's back to 22, again.

Last edited:
  • Funny
giving credit where it's due (cautiously): one thing they did here that I actually like is that if you're off of a favorite and use the wheel, it goes sequentially. perfect use case is sports play by play...I can scroll thru all of the MLB channels individually with the wheel to go thru all of the games without interrupting the favorite scrolling.

I'd like to give them credit for this, but I have a hard time figuring out if this is on purpose or just a happy accident on their part.

I emailed Tesla 2 weeks ago, with the judgement paper work. Not a single response/reply/letter/email/call.

The judgement was on 2/17/2023, (44 days ago) so they were made aware of that shortly after.

Guess it's time to take action!

Last edited:
my radio is still resetting itself every so often. there are stretches where days go by and it doesn't do it at all, but when it does it once it usually does it every few minutes thereafter...i've had decent luck so far getting it to stop by switching to a streaming or USB input for a few minutes (maybe to give the radio time to reset?) but it's incredibly annoying. that said, i'm afraid to report it and have them try to fix it for fear they'll break the favorites and static issues again...

Still radio silence from Tesla, as is their MO.
obviously they recieved the letters from the court, and I sent 2 emails. No response.

"If the plaintiff wins at the Magisterial Court hearing and the defendant neither pays nor appeals within 30 days, the plaintiff can get a paper called an Order of Execution from the Magisterial District Judges."

time to do more learnin' and get my money.

Last edited:
A while ago, I wrote a certified letter to the local Tesla service center, informing them they had until May 31st 2023, to pay the settlement, or I would file a writ of execution. I included a copy of the judgement as well.

So far, radio silence, and no check.

I am being much nicer and more accommodating than they ever were. Clearly I haven't learned my lesson. Next time, I file all paper work the day it applies. No need to wait to be nice.

It would certainly be entertaining if the Sheriff is then legally able to remove property from Tesla to satisfy the judgement.

Tired of waiting. Writ of Execution filed.
The sheriff has 90 days to act on it.
Adds $270 to the total I paid, but that's just tacked onto what they owe me now.

I'll call next week and see if they have a date/time and if I can be there.

Exciting stuff, so much learning.

7mvuw9.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: crackers8199
Tired of waiting. Writ of Execution filed.
The sheriff has 90 days to act on it.
Adds $270 to the total I paid, but that's just tacked onto what they owe me now.

I'll call next week and see if they have a date/time and if I can be there.

Exciting stuff, so much learning.

7mvuw9.jpg

maybe you can become owner of Twitter. I'm sure you can do a better job than Elon has done... (although that's true of Tesla too)

I really wish he would just go away at this point.

Well, I had to take my car in to Tesla. Mechanicsburg, PA. I've been hesitant due to recent events.
I had unrelated to XM, issues.

So, imagine my distress when my XM had been working for weeks, I pickup my car, and it doesn't work. The tech was quite sympathetic, setup a new appointment, etc. He stated it was not intentional, and that he doesn't have time to cause issues. FWIW I wanted to believe him, seems like a good guy.
But the situation was challenging, given that it worked... yesterday, and didn't today.

I don't know if Tesla had to drop the 12v for the service, or what all they did, however when I got to my car, and even after 3 reboots, the XM was 100% non functional. Not cool. I did my best to take it in stride and smash my forehead on the steering wheel, and make the tech aware. He did all the right things, and I think I even felt some sympathy here. Again, wanted to beleive him, but it was like... well... it worked when I came here...?

Reboot on the drive home 2-3x, no effect.

I was searching the online service manuals, as the tuner was near where they were working, maybe it was knocked/unplugged/etc.

Before going to that level myself, I did the one thing you should always do with a computer. I turned it off.

Safety --> Power Off. Let it sit a while, while I also cooled down.

I got my XM BACK! The favorites were all jumbled, probably because I was trying anything inside the UI to get it working again, so I had to clear and redo all those, in the correct order, because god forbid you be able to sort them?

Anyway. I think part of the issue is, I love the cars so damn much, I am passionate about the tech and the company, but when it breaks, it's even worse. Not to mention cars aren't cheap, and my 2009 Tahoe's XM worked for the entire 14 years of ownership, without a single issue. So, it's not like this is 'new' tech.

I wanted to state that this service experience (even with the temporary XM failure), was excellent. No lies, no gaslighting, solid updates. No changing from mobile to on-site without asking first (yes it's a nicety, people who can afford these cars like niceties). Very simple in/out/fixed/on my way. Exactly what service should be. I am glad to know things are improving.

Before going to that level myself, I did the one thing you should always do with a computer. I turned it off.

Safety --> Power Off. Let it sit a while, while I also cooled down.

I got my XM BACK! The favorites were all jumbled, probably because I was trying anything inside the UI to get it working again, so I had to clear and redo all those, in the correct order, because god forbid you be able to sort them?

Not to mention cars aren't cheap, and my 2009 Tahoe's XM worked for the entire 14 years of ownership, without a single issue. So, it's not like this is 'new' tech.

I hope that you are happy now. As I've read this thread I see your trials and tribulations.

But I see a lot of time spent on your part for what I'd call very little return. And I hope you see the writing on the wall about the way that favorites are handled and Tesla's support of XM in general. It doesn't exist on the other cars.

• Funny
Anyway. I think part of the issue is, I love the cars so damn much, I am passionate about the tech and the company, but when it breaks, it's even worse.
Isn't it awful? I think I mentioned how they reduced my A/C functionality for years (albeit without any pushback from me, I just found ways to work around it) before finally fixing it, and it looks like the 2023 updates introduced a new minor A/C bug for legacy models (one that I will also work around, because I you don't have the drive to do what you're doing). IOW, my A/C has only been "right" for roughly 2 out of 5+ and counting years of ownership (and even then there was another bug that occurred multiple times which they wouldn't reproduce because they're too literal in terms of following repair/troubleshooting procedures at my service center). Meanwhile, I've been running FSD beta, but the regressions are infuriating sometimes. I've read a lot of complaints about them that were easy for me to laugh off, but I got new maps and a new FSD version toward the end of May and it feels like they've removed a year's worth of good progress with no rhyme or reason. In spite of all that, I can't even figure out what I would replace my X with. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want a new one, but there's just not anything else out there I can fit a family of 7 in and not have to go to the gas station, but even if there was, there's something about the legacy X that I just love, intangible though it may be, considering the laundry list of things I certainly could complain about.

Isn't it awful? I think I mentioned how they reduced my A/C functionality for years (albeit without any pushback from me, I just found ways to work around it) before finally fixing it, and it looks like the 2023 updates introduced a new minor A/C bug for legacy models (one that I will also work around, because I you don't have the drive to do what you're doing). IOW, my A/C has only been "right" for roughly 2 out of 5+ and counting years of ownership (and even then there was another bug that occurred multiple times which they wouldn't reproduce because they're too literal in terms of following repair/troubleshooting procedures at my service center). Meanwhile, I've been running FSD beta, but the regressions are infuriating sometimes. I've read a lot of complaints about them that were easy for me to laugh off, but I got new maps and a new FSD version toward the end of May and it feels like they've removed a year's worth of good progress with no rhyme or reason. In spite of all that, I can't even figure out what I would replace my X with. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want a new one, but there's just not anything else out there I can fit a family of 7 in and not have to go to the gas station, but even if there was, there's something about the legacy X that I just love, intangible though it may be, considering the laundry list of things I certainly could complain about.
There's a lot of rhyme and reason why the update occurred, it's a merging of technologies to allow for continued advancement.

Sheriff's office called me back, they are so nice :)

Next step is the Sheriff will visit Tesla, in person, and bottom line it for them. "Cut the check, or they take inventory."

If they do not cut a check for the judgement PLUS the fees I've incurred for the Sheriff's services, the Sheriff and their staff will, take inventory, recording the VINs, Serial Numbers, etc of everything they can see that I listed on the form. (Cars, Computers, Repair Equipment, Tools, Furniture, Lighting, Electronics).

At that point, it would be illegal for Tesla to move, sell, transfer, etc any of the property the Sheriff records.

Which, effectively shuts down the location.

I then get a mailed copy of the inventory.

I'm not 100% on the steps after that, I think then I physically go to the location and under the guidance/protection of (and with) the Sheriff, I get to remove items to satisfy the judgement, but then they are sold at auction? (Otherwise I assume someone might take an entire car for a $1k judgement).

So, you take a bunch of stuff, it goes to auction, and then the funds are distributed from that sale. (I assume).

So much learning! love it.

Stay Tuned!

Reactions: crackers8199
Sheriff's office called me back, they are so nice :)

Next step is the Sheriff will visit Tesla, in person, and bottom line it for them. "Cut the check, or they take inventory."

If they do not cut a check for the judgement PLUS the fees I've incurred for the Sheriff's services, the Sheriff and their staff will, take inventory, recording the VINs, Serial Numbers, etc of everything they can see that I listed on the form. (Cars, Computers, Repair Equipment, Tools, Furniture, Lighting, Electronics).

At that point, it would be illegal for Tesla to move, sell, transfer, etc any of the property the Sheriff records.

Which, effectively shuts down the location.

I then get a mailed copy of the inventory.

I'm not 100% on the steps after that, I think then I physically go to the location and under the guidance/protection of (and with) the Sheriff, I get to remove items to satisfy the judgement, but then they are sold at auction? (Otherwise I assume someone might take an entire car for a $1k judgement).

So, you take a bunch of stuff, it goes to auction, and then the funds are distributed from that sale. (I assume).

So much learning! love it.

Stay Tuned!

I hope that the Tesla team of lawyers don't decide to respond, for your sake.