Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM radio requirements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. Recently took delivery of MS 90D with pano, because I wanted SiriusXM. High fidelity sound was optional, but got that too - sounds fantastic. I moved my SiriusXM subscription over to my new MS, but I have to say Slacker radio that comes with the car is far better than I ever expected - to be able to ask for virtually any song and have it served up immediately, is quite remarkable. I may decide to let my SiriusXM subscription expire because Slacker is that good - only thing missing on Slacker is Howard Stern radio... yes, I am a life long fan.

[QUOTE="Moneesh, post: 1655535, member: 48893" I may decide to let my SiriusXM subscription expire because Slacker is that good - only thing missing on Slacker is Howard Stern radio... yes, I am a life long fan.[/QUOTE]

Me too to all the above. But, XM is way over priced for the quality of the music stream.

When your subscription is up, you might consider picking up Howard Stern on your smart phone and then stream that to the car. You can then drop XM.

SiriusXM XM is part of the UHFS option. The antenna is in the pano roof only. Therefore these days you need both options. Originally (pre 2014) the pano roof was not a requirement. My original 2013 had UHFS but no pano roof and did have XM. however that changed with the revision to the pano roof? Not exactly sure when.

Either way. XM has never been available without UHFS.

[QUOTE="Moneesh, post: 1655535, member: 48893" I may decide to let my SiriusXM subscription expire because Slacker is that good - only thing missing on Slacker is Howard Stern radio... yes, I am a life long fan.

When your subscription is up, you might consider picking up Howard Stern on your smart phone and then stream that to the car. You can then drop XM.[/QUOTE]

How are you getting Stern on your phone and not paying for XM?

When your subscription is up, you might consider picking up Howard Stern on your smart phone and then stream that to the car. You can then drop XM.

How are you getting Stern on your phone and not paying for XM?[/QUOTE]

My Brother does this and I assumed there was an HS app. Guess not :)

Looks like he uses the Sirius steaming service option at 15.99 a month. I suppose there isn't any value there for anyone who already has the Pano and UHFS options. However, if you don't have those (or don't want to order them), the streaming option will work from your phone.

SiriusXM XM is part of the UHFS option. The antenna is in the pano roof only. Therefore these days you need both options. Originally (pre 2014) the pano roof was not a requirement. My original 2013 had UHFS but no pano roof and did have XM. however that changed with the revision to the pano roof? Not exactly sure when.

Either way. XM has never been available without UHFS.

Doh, that contradicts what NikeWings said.

Perhaps things have changed again, as studiojon mentioned. The new website appears to no longer state that pano is necessary for XM (which it previously did), but I was told at order it was necessary along with being told UHFS was not required. Neither influenced my design, as I was getting both anyway but if concerned, its worth you checking with your DS to be certain.

Requirements are pano roof and UHFS, I've had Sirius/XM in every vehicle I've owned since 2005, and its definitely weird that it's not included by default; however, this will be my first car with internet radio and I used to subscribe to Slacker so definitely going to provide as good if not better music options over SiriusXM for me. And the radio shows I like for long road trips are all on TuneIn, so for me only worry is in places where I can't get cell service but could still get reasonable SiriusXM coverage. But I've already loaded a USB flash drive with over 1000 songs in preparation for those cases... plus can keep a couple podcasts on my phone just in case too.

But yeah likely cost you less to get a streaming SiriusXM plan and just link your phone. Costs at most same monthly as SiriusXM (less if you add it to your plan w/ multiple radios) but then you are only paying for data... and that would likely take at least 10 years to exceed the cost of the UHFS system... so unless you really want UHF sound then it's a really difficult sell for the content.

I will say I struggled with this one for a while as I'm an audiophile and loved having SiriusXM in my car so I could get consistent NPR radio without constantly having to lookup the AM/FM channel & the program changing between locations. Also my local NPR channel doesn't do news all day :(

But I've also found that the driving noise, wind, etc doesn't really make for the best listening environment so didn't feel it was the place to invest in high end audio equipment if I was on a budget.

And the radio shows I like for long road trips are all on TuneIn, so for me only worry is in places where I can't get cell service but could still get reasonable SiriusXM coverage

This is the only thing making me consider XM vs Tune-in/Slacker. It looks like I can get NPR, etc on Tune-In, but on my daily commute I drive through two cell phone "holes" that have no data service. And I end up in lots of long, long, long stretches of cell phone free desert highways out here when I do long road trips. Just did a couple of trips through Tonopah, NV. Talk about remote.

Just wish you could get the XM tuner on the base sound system.

Reactions: javawolfpack
@Az_Rael

Yeah, that makes sense... if on a daily basis you can't get cell coverage that's problematic. I can get cell coverage on the day to day drives, and it would only be on road trips, trips into the mountains, etc that would result in no cell coverage for me. In those cases would have prepared media on my phone/USB drive for those occasions, at least that's the plan. Still waiting on my Tesla to go into production :)

Just wish you could get the XM tuner on the base sound system.

Yeah, same here. I think it's ridiculous that Tesla coupled XM with UHFS like this. This car is perfection, except for this and no power liftgate without premium package.

I guess I'll have to upgrade my XM subscription to include streaming via phone.

Btw, so excited. My order goes to factory tomorrow! ....hopefully

Reactions: Az_Rael