Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel after 2 months of delivery on Pearl White

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Pearl White 2 months back. I am thinking of getting Xpel on it. Usually, I have read on these forums that people get it right after delivery. My questions are as below:

1. Does it make sense to get it done after 2 months now?

2. Does Xpel give a new glow/shine to the car?

3. I read that once the Xpel starts coming out, the Pearl White for some reason starts to look a bit yellowish. Is that accurate?

1. Honestly you could probably get it done whenever. However the longer you wait, the more damage will have potentially occurred prior to application. I had to wait a month for my appointment so I have a few small chips under the film now

2. The film itself actually causes a little bit of "orange peel" texture. You need a wax or ceramic coating (e.g opticoat) for shine

3. It works pretty well on other colors. Not sure if pearl white is an exception.

I had CQuartz Finest applied after a couple days without Xpel. A paint correction will need to be done to give the best results but will be worth it! It might need a bit more work to correct the paint after 2 years, but very doable.

Optimum Opticoat is great if you want to minimize swirls and to make the car easier to wash. There may be other products that produce better shine and gloss if that is what you're after.

PPF films can yellow over time which will obviously look more "antique" white than white over time. 3M films were notorious for this. Newer films are much better at being "non-yellowing" over time, so ask your PPF installer which film they prefer on white.

Depends on what you want, PPF films will protect the paint from rocks, chips and scartches from even minor accidents/bumps.

Opticoat will reduce swirling and protect the original clear coat but offers nothing to protect against a rock or scrape.

Reactions: AutoArmour
Paint correction first.

Opti-Coat does a nice job of being shiny, making interim detailing easy, and defending against some damage. Sand and pebbles but not rocks, is how I think of it.

My next S will either get Opti-Coat or Permanon as well as some sort of wrap for the front clip, fenders and hood.

And of course tint, including the windshield and front pano panel.

Would also Iike to find an exterior windshield coating.

I picked up my Pearl White 2 months back. I am thinking of getting Xpel on it. Usually, I have read on these forums that people get it right after delivery. My questions are as below:

1. Does it make sense to get it done after 2 months now?

2. Does Xpel give a new glow/shine to the car?

3. I read that once the Xpel starts coming out, the Pearl White for some reason starts to look a bit yellowish. Is that accurate?

1. You can get PPF done at nearly any stage, although the longer you wait, the better chances of picking up more rock chips/damage.
2. The top coat of the film is meant to mimic what's underneath it, so it's virtually invisible
3. The film itself is warrantied for 10-years against yellowing, so if it yellows, just have your installer remove and replace the film. The warranty covers film and labor for the installer. The warranty also covers discoloration, peeling, cracking and hazing. Full information can be found: HERE

PPF films can yellow over time which will obviously look more "antique" white than white over time. 3M films were notorious for this. Newer films are much better at being "non-yellowing" over time, so ask your PPF installer which film they prefer on white.

Opticoat will reduce swirling and protect the original clear coat but offers nothing to protect against a rock or scrape.

Yes, the older clear bra's typically yellow after being on the vehicle for some time.

I was thinking of just the CQuartz myself. How protective has it been for you?

Many of our customers use coatings and installers offer them as an add-on. Make sure to have the film applied first before using any coating, as this can cause adhesion issues if the coating is applied first.

Regarding the protective qualities of the coatings, they do not protect against rock chips and impacts, like clear bra's do.

• Informative
Reactions: PtG62901
1. Honestly you could probably get it done whenever. However the longer you wait, the more damage will have potentially occurred prior to application. I had to wait a month for my appointment so I have a few small chips under the film now

2. The film itself actually causes a little bit of "orange peel" texture. You need a wax or ceramic coating (e.g opticoat) for shine

3. It works pretty well on other colors. Not sure if pearl white is an exception.

Personally, I don't have the "orange peel" texture. You cannot tell, on my car, there is film on.

I had the front treatment of Xpel in 2000 on a 911. Worked great, could see the line between the Xpel and paint, if you messed up waxing the car and left an accumulation, but it was invisible beyond that. I had no chips, no dings, no nothing on the Xpel. I'm guessing it saved me a repaint of my front bonnet and outside mirrors? So, it was cheaper then not having it.

I don't understand the orange peel remarks, if you have it, the Xpel isn't installed right. I'm pretty sure I'm doing the whole car when my MS arrives. It seems like a car without dings draws the a$$hats to attempt to ding it, much less the stray rock or two over the course of years. As we know, having a panel resprayed is a pain and costly.

How long did you have the 911 with the Xpel. And I don't have to tell you but a 911 w/o some chips on the front is unheard of being so low to the ground. I was not going to do the Xpel because of the money but have since talked myself into it. Just makes sense for a car I plan on keeping for 5 years at least.

How long did you have the 911 with the Xpel. And I don't have to tell you but a 911 w/o some chips on the front is unheard of being so low to the ground. I was not going to do the Xpel because of the money but have since talked myself into it. Just makes sense for a car I plan on keeping for 5 years at least.
Over 10 years. I has a mar in the Xpel, but no paint damage. It was still clear, but it was always parked in the shade.

1. It depends. If your front end is already thrashed, probably not. If it's not bad and you wish to maintain it moving forward, yes.
2. Yes, it enhances the appearance by itself.
3. All films yellow to some degree over time. The question is more along the lines of if you perceive it, and if you do, will your warranty cover it. Yes, your warranties cover yellowing.

I have a tree that makes a mess of my car hanging over the driveway (thinking of cutting down, I just hate to cut down a healthy tree) :(
Sure I could move over to the left side of the driveway but then the wife would have to walk like 5 more steps each day :) She considers that HER spot! :)
I park in the street at times to avoid it but that is not an option when the S needs a charge.
I am giving this info because my question is: How much better or easier is it to clean the car? With Xpel that is.

Paint correction first.

Opti-Coat does a nice job of being shiny, making interim detailing easy, and defending against some damage. Sand and pebbles but not rocks, is how I think of it.

My next S will either get Opti-Coat or Permanon as well as some sort of wrap for the front clip, fenders and hood.

And of course tint, including the windshield and front pano panel.

Would also Iike to find an exterior windshield coating.

You should look into Bray for your windshield. We just started working with Bray, and it offers a great option for windshield protection.
Here is the link to their site: About

• Informative
I have a tree that makes a mess of my car hanging over the driveway (thinking of cutting down, I just hate to cut down a healthy tree) :(
Sure I could move over to the left side of the driveway but then the wife would have to walk like 5 more steps each day :) She considers that HER spot! :)
I park in the street at times to avoid it but that is not an option when the S needs a charge.
I am giving this info because my question is: How much better or easier is it to clean the car? With Xpel that is.

Here is a great little article on Xpel's website that talks about the maintenance of Xpel PPF: Care Instructions - XPEL

Is there a thread with different protections and their costs?

Not one that covers everyone. But my shop is off of I-20 before you get to 285 on the east side of town. We may be the closest PPF installer near you. Feel free to give me a call. We have a TMS in the shop right now getting a full wrap and Modesta on the body, wheels and leather. You're welcome to swing by and check it out.

I have different prices and services listed on my site(check my signature) if you want to learn more.