Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel front wrap & parking sensor issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 11/16 build has full wrap covering covering all 12 sensors since day 1. All worked fine until about 2 months ago. The front sensors do not work. The front, side and all back work just fine. All are fully covered. I may have a sensor issue (tow or four), but the other sensors work fine through the XPel wrap.
Let’s try to get more accurate results

1. Did all sensors work prior to wrap, sensors covered?
2. Did all sensors work immediately after wrap sensored covered? If not, which failed?
3. Do all sensors still work recently after wrap, sensors covered? If not, which failed?
4. Did you have the sensors uncovered? Which sensors? Results?
5. AP1 or AP2 hardware?
6. Please add any comments or theories.

My observations
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No, 4 front sensors do not work, all other front and back are working
4. No, all still covered, results, see #3
5. AP2
6. Mine worked fine, the front ones failed and within the last couple months and remain failed. Since it only effects the front sensors, with all sensors covered, it should not be an issue with the wrap. My guess is some sort of firmware/software change was made to specific sensors.
Could increased sensitivity cause the sensor to "reflect" signal off the wrap back to the sensor? I ask, because the timing of my failure, seems to have coincided with a farther reach/sensitivity of my rear side sensors. Are the front sensors a different part number or spec?

My 2017 S was recently vinyl wrapped, and since then, the front 2 sensors seem to not work. I can get distance readings on the front corners, but nothing directly in front of the car. Rear works 100% fine... wrap is completely overtop all the sensors. Obviously can't cutout unless only the clear plastic bit of the sensor needs exposed. If the painted bit also needs exposed, that would look stupid and I'll obviously leave the front 2 sensors not working since I don't really need them. Any thoughts on why only the front 2 aren't working?

I have full clear wrap. All sensors worked fine. At some point the front sensors failed to display. It appears to be some sort of firmware issue, with the sensors working correctly, just not being displayed.

I have had mine checked out by a ranger at a SuperCharger location, with the computer plugged in, all sensors were working correctly giving the same level of sensitivity on all sensors. The problem was they were not being displayed on the screen. This anomaly has not prevented it from doing parallel parking.

I recently had my service center check it out when installing new tires. The result was the same, the sensors were working as they should. They neglected to address why, or why not it was being displayed. It is my understanding it may be a software/firmware issue.

• Informative
Reactions: chinnam3
Cut around the sensors today...of course, works like a charm 100% of the time now. Bummer but all good! Thanks everyone
To revive an old thread - how did you do this, just with an X-Acto knife? My XPEL installer put film over my sensors also - which I didn't notice until I got the car home - and I'm trying to decide whether to fix this myself (which *seems* like a quick, easy job) or take it back to the installer (which isn't terribly convenient, unfortunately).

My installer actually had some device (think like a grommet kit with a cutter that is the appropiate size [Amazon.com : grommet cutter]) that cut it perfectly. I don't think I would do it by hand cause if you catch an edge and cause a tear it will collect dirt and likely expand.

I'd find a grommet kit that matches the size of the sensor eye -- the grommet cutter in the kit has a sharp edge and I would twist in circles until it goes through and then use some tweezers or the like to grab the film.

I got a wrap installed about a month ago (front bra + rockers) and I had them bra straight over the parking sensors on the front bumper. Since then, the parking sensors have a mind of their own but it's not consistent. One of three things happen each drive:

1) None work
2) Side sensors only work
3) All front sensors work as designed

To make matters more interesting, I can experience #3 above while driving and it alerts me in traffic, but when parking at home #1 happens.

I've spent a month now dealing with Tesla support on this since a ton of owners that have clear bras they choose the same thing to coat right over vs cutting them out. It went to the diagnostics team and they found nothing in the logs and we did a few live sessions and when it happened nothing came through. However, if NA Service sends a signal OTA to reset the "driver assistance module," it works right away.

I'm at the stage where they want to visually/physically inspect the car but I know dam well they're going to toss this one up to the bra which I'm not convinced given the track record of this issue and how it's not consistent at all.

Anyone else have issues like this? They suggested they may replace this module as it might be faulty (guy on the phone, not SC), which I'd ask they do before asking me to cut the parking sensors out in the Xpel wrap, but he gave fair warning that they have a doc on file that wraps have caused issues with sensors in the past -- and I get it, maybe sometimes they do, but then I'd expect them never to work I guess.

Hoping to hear if anyone had identical experiences or suggestions?

Thanks all,
M
Ultrasonic sensors need not be covered by anything. They need an unobstructed view otherwise they would be behind the bumper.