Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPEL Paint Protection Film, Ceramic Coating and Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After delivery in May, it was a roller coaster ride to get paint repairs resolved by Tesla which took nearly 2 months and finally dropped off my White/White MY at Auto Armour in San Diego for paint correction, XPEL Ultimate Plus PPF, XPEL Fusion PPF ceramic coating & Cquartz interior ceramic coating, XPEL Prime XR Plus windows tint, emblems paint to satin black and few other things.

Austin was the one who helped me with everything from consulting, scheduling, and given me updates as I stand writing this. He even sent me a quick shot of PPF being applied. I am incredibly surprised by their workmanship, they had removed everything! I will assume this will give the best PPF custom install edge coverage!

I will ask for photos of the ceramic coating process and tint. Saw a finished Model Y White/White when I dropped off mines, it was wrapped in XPEL Stealth, and boy it was flawless. Their Yelp and Google reviews are spot on.

Price-wise they beat many of their competitors which I had 5 different bids. I don't think the competitors would have removed everything as they did to mines, a very time-consuming process. I am glad I had chosen them for my PPF. Here’s my guy's contact if you guys need PPF, ceramic coating, and tint for your Tesla.
Austin - 858-255-0102

My Model Y @ Auto Armour Auto Armour

More photos coming tomorrow.

jIYd7dz.jpg
i1hlvAu.jpg
gXAVVHw.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with DennyL as my White/White MY was the one done with XPEL Stealth, Fusion ceramic and XR Plus tint that he is talking a about. Auto Armour did a great job and Austin was very helpful and responsive to all my questions. He even did a light smoke film on my headlights/fog lights and said if I didn't like it he would change it clear. I highly recommend Auto Armour for PPF and window tinting.

Reactions: DennyL
I agree with DennyL as my White/White MY was the one done with XPEL Stealth, Fusion ceramic and XR Plus tint that he is talking a about. Auto Armour did a great job and Austin was very helpful and responsive to all my questions. He even did a light smoke film on my headlights/fog lights and said if I didn't like it he would change it clear. I highly recommend Auto Armour for PPF and window tinting.

Here is a picture
IMG_20200813_123304.jpg

I cringe to think about this. Up here in NorCal Bay Area, stealth wrap with ceramic is $10k+ from the supposed top detail shop. I'm gonna guess this would be in the same neighborhood.

I had meat sweats when I paid $650 for full Llumar tint on my MY. I paid $350 for my other two cars with 3M.
Its not $10k, I had multiple bids from all XPEL certified installers in San Diego. High end side was like $7k package before discounts. YMMV

Its not $10k, I had multiple bids from all XPEL certified installers in San Diego. High end side was like $7k package before discounts. YMMV
I was quoted $6500 in Kansas City for a full vehicle stealth/satin XPEL PPF job. I think part of this shop's costs are using a computer-controlled cutting system though, and this shop is the best in town hands down.

I was quoted $6500 in Kansas City for a full vehicle stealth/satin XPEL PPF job. I think part of this shop's costs are using a computer-controlled cutting system though, and this shop is the best in town hands down.

I may be wrong but this is what I have heard. Using the computer cut system can show edges unless the shop modifies the template to increase the cut size so they can wrap the edges. Wrapped edges is definitely needed for Stealth.

Prices range from 5k to 7k depending on the package in San Diego. Some vendors price is bundled with ceramic. YMMV... just have to negotiate the price. My quotes were from all XPEL listed dealers in my area and some other dealers off of Yelp. They had all offered custom cut.

I cringe to think about this. Up here in NorCal Bay Area, stealth wrap with ceramic is $10k+ from the supposed top detail shop. I'm gonna guess this would be in the same neighborhood.

I had meat sweats when I paid $650 for full Llumar tint on my MY. I paid $350 for my other two cars with 3M.

I'm doing 3M bumpers, doors and mirrors + "lifetime" warranty ceramic coat for $4,500 in South San Francisco. They have had the car since Tuesday and I get it back a week later on Thursday.

I’m confused why do you need a ceramic coating on top of PPF? What happens if you don’t get a ceramic coating? Is there something inherently wrong with naked PPF?

PPF protects the paint for many years. The ceramic coating keeps road grit, dirt and other kinds of grime from settling into either the paint top coat or PPF. This makes it much easier to wash and keep clean. Likewise it seals the paint top coat or PPF from oxidation and aging better than wax ever will, and for a much longer period. However it will only last about 2 years or so before needing to be reapplied.

PPF protects the paint for many years. The ceramic coating keeps road grit, dirt and other kinds of grime from settling into either the paint top coat or PPF. This makes it much easier to wash and keep clean. Likewise it seals the paint top coat or PPF from oxidation and aging better than wax ever will, and for a much longer period. However it will only last about 2 years or so before needing to be reapplied.

I’m getting 5 layers a day apart which is supposed to last for at least 10 years. Guess we’ll see how true that is.

• Informative
Reactions: DennyL