Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel Ultimate whole vehicle vs full front

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
fishing for opinion here. Second X in the family. 100D Pearl white to be picked up second week of May. We didn't do any paint protection on the first one (8 mo old 90D) and after 25,000mi it showed signs of damage to paint on the front hood and bumper due to highway driving.
My 3yo was disasterous for the glossy seat backs and managed to put scratches almost immediately.

I am planning on doing Xpel immediately after pickup and found a local installer that advertises $1,895 for a full front skin (bumper, hood, fenders, side mirrors & trunk lip).

This seems like a good deal and I would add the seat backs.

Thoughts?

I had the front done for about 1700. I was really on the fence at the time, but I'm so happy I did it. It is awesome. I do lots of highway driving, and I was looking for chip and bug protection. It's worked very well for both.

I went with full wrap, because I take mine skiing every so often. Also, I know if I didn't protect everybody panel, I would immediately get a scratch on one. Someone did rub against my rear fender with the purse, and with the XPel it rubbed right out. It also gives me much more peace of mind, and I worry about my paint much less.
I had a local shop in Sacramento do the full wrap, for $3000. Make sure you shop around, because it varied from $3000-$5500. RockyMountainAutoWorks.

$3000 for full wrap is an unbelievable price. I might have to drive 370 miles to save some $$$.
I almost drove to Reno to get it for $2500 until I found this place. Glad I changed to local, since my car got delivered during the brutal storms in February, and Interstate 80 was closed often. They will need our Carr. Fr aound 3 days for everything to dry/cure.
If you were also getting your windows tinted, it's a good idea to have it done at the same time, since the car just sits there for the nearly 3 days.

I am doing the entire vehicle because with only two weeks of ownership, there are already paint blemishes on the side.

And while I fully support searching for the lowest price, make sure that you are not giving up quality as well. There are folks out there who don't know what they are doing and could lead to even bigger problems.

fishing for opinion here. Second X in the family. 100D Pearl white to be picked up second week of May. We didn't do any paint protection on the first one (8 mo old 90D) and after 25,000mi it showed signs of damage to paint on the front hood and bumper due to highway driving.
My 3yo was disasterous for the glossy seat backs and managed to put scratches almost immediately.

I am planning on doing Xpel immediately after pickup and found a local installer that advertises $1,895 for a full front skin (bumper, hood, fenders, side mirrors & trunk lip).

This seems like a good deal and I would add the seat backs.

Thoughts?

That price is extremely well priced for Florida, as it is a pretty competitive market. May I ask who is doing the install?

Pretty good price considering the quotes I've received in Houston (about 2x).

Do it. I had it on my last car and it was great stuff.

Where did you have the quote done for your vehicle? We have an XPEL owned store in Houston, 220 Barren Springs Dr #3, Houston, TX 77090. The price for a full front with wrapped edges (where possible) runs about 1895 plus tax. It's all pre-cut patterns that include wrapped edges on the hood, fenders, and anywhere else possible. Which means less to no use of a blade on your vehicle, since the film is pre-cut

While we're on the subject, I've read a lot of posts on films and coatings and noticed that most folks use film as protection against rock chips, presumably from freeway driving. For that reason (and to save money), some people do front-only or partial coverage. I drive mostly on secondary roads at 30-50mph and don't have many chips on my car even after 10 years. Are front films less useful for suburban speeds? If I'm going to invest in film, I'm wondering if I should be focused on the side of my car instead of the front? You know, to protect against runaway Home Depot carts, uncaring Escalade drivers, or even just minimizing damage from mis-judging my garage entrance, versus the damage from the less frequent flying freeway rock? How does film stand up in a parking lot against an adjacent car door? (I don't mean someone seriously trying to ding me, I just mean ordinary wear and tear from sloppy door-openers). For the discussion, please assume I'm going to do a full vehicle coating in addition to some/all film coverage, because carwash swirls and bird poop drive me nuts, but I won't obsess over a couple of small dings on a lower valance.

... ... ... How does film stand up in a parking lot against an adjacent car door? (I don't mean someone seriously trying to ding me, I just mean ordinary wear and tear from sloppy door-openers). For the discussion, please assume I'm going to do a full vehicle coating in addition to some/all film coverage, because carwash swirls and bird poop drive me nuts, but I won't obsess over a couple of small dings on a lower valance.

The film can certainly take a beating, we have plenty of customers that bring their vehicles in after they hit parking bollards, have a minor fender bender where a vehicle softly swipes the side/trades paint. That being said, the customer had to have the film replaced for those panels, and there was no damage to the painted surface. It won't always work out that way, but it's very helpful when it comes to parking lots and misc things. Door dings can cause the film to leave an impression which may not come out, but without the worry of paint damage.

The benefit of a full wrap is that the self-healing XPEL ULTIMATE, you'll won't see swirl marks (once the film is outside or has heat applied).

At a bare minimum, we'd recommend do the front bumper and headlights (as these will take the brunt of the damage).

That price is extremely well priced for Florida, as it is a pretty competitive market. May I ask who is doing the install?

Where did you have the quote done for your vehicle? We have an XPEL owned store in Houston, 220 Barren Springs Dr #3, Houston, TX 77090. The price for a full front with wrapped edges (where possible) runs about 1895 plus tax. It's all pre-cut patterns that include wrapped edges on the hood, fenders, and anywhere else possible. Which means less to no use of a blade on your vehicle, since the film is pre-cut

It is actually central Illinois. Have a home there as well.
Name of the business is Midwest Auto Skins. Price quoted is advertised on their site. That are also advertising full wrap for under $4K

It is actually central Illinois. Have a home there as well.
Name of the business is Midwest Auto Skins. Price quoted is advertised on their site. That are also advertising full wrap for under $4K

Oh okay, that makes a little more sense...that market is a bit less expensive. A full wrap for 4k does seem low, I would make sure that they are wrapping all edges (where possible) and covering as much paint as they can.

Those wrap prices sound fishy. I would question whether they have any experience doing high end cars, etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: Fiddler
I almost drove to Reno to get it for $2500 until I found this place. Glad I changed to local, since my car got delivered during the brutal storms in February, and Interstate 80 was closed often. They will need our Carr. Fr aound 3 days for everything to dry/cure.
If you were also getting your windows tinted, it's a good idea to have it done at the same time, since the car just sits there for the nearly 3 days.
I went in yesterday to a local place they were saying about $6k for full wrap although they do say they price match. Where did you go for $3k?