Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPEL Wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Paint Chips

I'm completely redoing this thread because I'm not getting response from the people I want to hear from.

Tell me you paint chip stories... Is this car more, less or the same as any other car resisting paint chips.

Last edited:
I've read all the threads but most of them talk about installation or color fade between the brands. What I really want to know is... Is the Tesla paint worse than my Mercedes ( I had the car 10 years and just a couple tiny chips). Have people gotten chips with the wraps (Real world circumstances).

I posted a poll on this, looks like majority of Tesla owners get a wrap.
Aftermarket paint protection

Also as you drive around observe the Teslas you see. Either you see really nice ones, or really dull and faded out ones.
I don't know why, but perhaps the dull and faded ones cheaped out and didn't get protection?

As much as its hard to spend EVEN MORE after spending SO MUCH, I think I'll stretch myself and get some protection, just not sure which!

I got the wrap because of the reading I did on this forum. I did the full body wrap with xpel ultimate. One reason I did that is it will not create swirl marks over time and it self heals with heat. I've had dark cars before and over time you will get swirl marks. Now I dont have to worry about it. The other is paint protection itself. I've had the car since Jan and I've already had to replace the front bumper xpel and hood xpel. Front bumper had a huge scratch from I do not know. No damage to bumper. The hood had a huge chunk taken out of the xpel from a rock strike. No damage to paint. I got two chips driving it straight from Tesla to Chicago Auto pros who put on the xpel. 20 miles and 2 chips.

I've read all the threads but most of them talk about installation or color fade between the brands. What I really want to know is... Is the Tesla paint worse than my Mercedes ( I had the car 10 years and just a couple tiny chips). Have people gotten chips with the wraps (Real world circumstances).

Tesla has a very soft paint (California regulation) which makes it vulnerable to scratches. This has been told to me by my detailer and many others on this forum. So my guess is that chips will show up.
I have a local friend that had a lot of chips on his hood because he had a lot of highway driving. He said he is going to get the chips fixed and then wrap the front.
Personally I hated all the rock chips on my previous car and did not want them on my Model S.
The wrap is supposed to protect from the all the small chips. I have a few spots on my wrap where there is light damage but I am pretty sure the paint is fine. Others with wraps have sideswiped their car against something and when they took off the wrap there was no visible damage to the car.

I got the wrap because of the reading I did on this forum. I did the full body wrap with xpel ultimate. One reason I did that is it will not create swirl marks over time and it self heals with heat. I've had dark cars before and over time you will get swirl marks. Now I dont have to worry about it. The other is paint protection itself. I've had the car since Jan and I've already had to replace the front bumper xpel and hood xpel. Front bumper had a huge scratch from I do not know. No damage to bumper. The hood had a huge chunk taken out of the xpel from a rock strike. No damage to paint. I got two chips driving it straight from Tesla to Chicago Auto pros who put on the xpel. 20 miles and 2 chips.

Ditto. I got the whole wrap because of various photos I'd seen of Teslas in this forum. I've had paint chips on every car I'd ever owned. I got the P85D in early January and daily drove through a cold & slushy winter & spring. Not a single chip so far, knock on wood. In my mind, if you're going to spend this kind of coin on a car, it's a great investment. Zero regrets.

I'm completely redoing this thread because I'm not getting response from the people I want to hear from.

Tell me you paint chip stories... Is this car more, less or the same as any other car resisting paint chips.

Can you point to the thread that you posted in and weren't getting the response you wanted? We try and not start new threads when there are already threads dealing with a subject.

Three weeks ago I got hit by a piece of blown-out tire--hard and I was going about 78 mph. It put about a one-inch gash in the PPF on my hood about 2 inches from the front rim of the hood. Even though the PPF is "self healing" the damage was enough that it would not heal on its own. BUT..I noticed when making the film wet that it appeared that the paint was not damaged under the film.

I took it to my installer who removed and replaced the film--absolutely no damage to the paint. Had I not had the PPF I know I would have had to have the entire hood painted due to the size of the damage it would have caused to the paint but instead I'm only out $500 re-wrapping the hood.

Depending on which Mercedes you have/had, it's either painted in Germany, or somewhere in US, outside California. This means different OSHA rules and regulations regarding solvents. Not to mention, some MBZ paints were ceramic.

CA has strict OSHA regulations, which basically means less solvent in paint, and more water. This has made Tesla's paint, not sure what their formulation, a bit softer than other paints people are use to.

This results in light scratches, chips, etc. being a bit easier to do their damage.

Having clear bra will dramatically improve chip resistance, and almost negate the effects of the swirls and scratches since the quality films on market are self healing.

Hope this helps.