Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Caspert: Welcome to TMC! Loads of information already recorded in various threads.

There are several threads on "tires" that might interest you if you do an "advanced search."

Everyone here has a manufacturer preference. If you do some research. pay attention to the region of the poster. Tire preferences are impacted by road surface quality, i.e. NY state roads are very different than AZ roads...surfaces, ambient temperatures, weather, etc. etc.

Reactions: X-Chris
Caspert: Welcome to TMC! Loads of information already recorded in various threads.

There are several threads on "tires" that might interest you if you do an "advanced search."

Everyone here has a manufacturer preference. If you do some research. pay attention to the region of the poster. Tire preferences are impacted by road surface quality, i.e. NY state roads are very different than AZ roads...surfaces, ambient temperatures, weather, etc. etc.
Thank you, I’ll certainly do that.

I just got the Pirelli Elect EV tires from tire rack, in 20-inch, because the world seems to be sold out of the Goodyear OE tires.
I like them. A LOT
Quieter and gripper then stock. Way better in rain or light snow.
The service center had no issue on accepting shipment from TR and installing them

Quiet, comfort, and range I like the OE continental pro contact RX. I swapped 19s onto my performance and went with the OE tires. The DWS06 is an excellent tire but you will see a 10-12% reduction in your range.
I had a 2018 RWD Model 3 for five years, I just replaced it with a Y, after about 18,000 miles I switched from stock tires that were 235/40/19 to a Continental DWS06 in a 255/40/19 and took an immediate range hit of 12 to 15% but I had a lifetime average in my trip A so at the time I put on the new tires I reset trip B and drove the car another 18,000 miles, turns out it was only 7% so at first you will notice a lot more until tire breaks in and wears some, I can tell you that the car rode and handled so much better that I felt this was the size that should have been stock on the car, on day 2 of owning the Y I went from the stock 255/40/20 to 275/40/20 and it is just WAAAAY better.

Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra's are another great option. Got a set of 275/40/20's on my Y and have zero complaints!
Wow 80k milage warranty!, that is incredible! so is the weight of that tire also at 34.7 lbs. that is one heavy duty tire! I chose the DWS06 in the same size for its closet to stock weight at 28.7 lbs. stock is 26.3 but I also like the larger size tires on this car with the 275's

Just installed DWS06+ today. They are excellent in terms of grip. Not as quiet as the RX stock 19” tires however, they are substantially louder. I think the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 are loud and boomy and felt more vague than the DWS06’s. I think the AWD in Tesla allowed for the crappy RX tires to perform better than they would on a FWD car but traction in the dry is definitely better on the DWS. They were also much less expensive and didn’t looked as stretched as the PSAS4’s do. I halfway wished I went for 265/45 instead of the stock 255. Would have looked better but added weight was a concern for me so I kept stock size. I’m expecting 17-20k miles on these tops but I replaced the RX with 19k miles and they had 3-4mm of tread depth remaining.

Just installed DWS06+ today. They are excellent in terms of grip. Not as quiet as the RX stock 19” tires however, they are substantially louder. I think the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 are loud and boomy and felt more vague than the DWS06’s. I think the AWD in Tesla allowed for the crappy RX tires to perform better than they would on a FWD car but traction in the dry is definitely better on the DWS. They were also much less expensive and didn’t looked as stretched as the PSAS4’s do. I halfway wished I went for 265/45 instead of the stock 255. Would have looked better but added weight was a concern for me so I kept stock size. I’m expecting 17-20k miles on these tops but I replaced the RX with 19k miles and they had 3-4mm of tread depth remaining.
Plus—if I like the DWS, mileage warranty should mean future sets are about $700-800 vs. $1,300 OTD.

In my experience, the PilotSport AS4 is substantially quieter than the OEM ContiProContacts. Can't compare it with the DWS06, though.

My experience on previous vehicles with DWS06, is they get much louder with age...15k miles >>>. Maybe they've improved?

In my experience, the PilotSport AS4 is substantially quieter than the OEM ContiProContacts. Can't compare it with the DWS06, though.

My experience on previous vehicles with DWS06, is they get much louder with age...15k miles >>>. Maybe they've improved?
They must have improved or it wouldn't be the DWS06 plus, haha!, Seriously though, I had the Michelin pilot sport as 3 plus on another car and they were great tires then switched to the DWS06, I think the DWS06 are a more comfortable ride and better in the rain, they did not seem to make any more noise to me at the time at least I did not notice.

Reactions: Pianewman
Thank you, I’ll certainly do that.
One thing about browsing old tire threads is that they're old. They also tend to a lot of opinion and maybe not so much with test track results. Plus availability seems goofy. E.g. Michelin has announced a new EV tire series called the Defender 2 (80k warranty!). I watched a presentation to Tesla owners and the Michelin people were quite enthused. Only those tires don't come in 255/45 yet. In another case: most of the commentary I saw on the new Hankook iON EV tires was for the Model 3 (which is fine) but I own a Model Y. The Hankook iON also has odd availability. You can get them at Discount Tire (or Midas) but not TireRack.

I'm not sure I would characterize the thread as "old". Uninformed, perhaps, as there lots of responses from people putting non-EV tires on their EV's, then wondering why they're so loud, or non low rolling resistance tires on and wondering why there's such a big range hit.
If your looking for 255/40-20,in a high quality EV tire that isn't the Goodyear OE, have you considered the Pirelli P-Zero all Season Plus Elect? An EV tire from a major manufacturer, with the foam, Low rolling resistance, quiter than the stock Goodyear, AND available at Tire Rack?

I love mine. Purchased at Tire Rack and shipped directly to the Tesla Center.

I'm not sure I would characterize the thread as "old".
I was referring to "old tire threads" in general not this thread specifically. When someone starts a new tire thread it's common to see "there are lots of threads, search". That might be helpful advice or not. Tires are a moving target so old information may not be helpful. E.g. Tesla recently changed the load index on the M3 but there's a lot of advice that suggests that Tesla has a technical reason for specifying XL rather than they simply made a decision based on economics/supply chain/etc. and SL was always fine if the math works out.

BTW, I have 19" wheels.