Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It could be excessive toe in or camber. Definitely have the alignment checked the next time you buy tires.

Do you regularly check the tire pressure, set the tire pressure (when the tires are cold) to 42 PSI or something close? The road surface of the roads you regularly drive could also affect the tire wear.
I got the MPP lift only about a month after taking delivery.. didn't have the alignment ever checked cause it still drove
straight but I will check next time

All this talk about tires. Am I the only one that had to replace two rear tires in the month of April in two different states?
First a broken drill bit in my left rear tire on April 3rd. Tesla mobile service showed up in my driveway in 40 minutes to replace and balance a new tire in New Jersey.
Yesterday April 28th while in Florida, Tesla replaced the right rear tire due to a nail.
I'm wondering if Tesla's attract nails in tires as it has been over ten years with my previous ICE vehicles having a tire issue.

Attachments

• Tesla Left Rear Flat Tire IMG_9761.JPG
    Tesla Left Rear Flat Tire IMG_9761.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Tesla Mobile Van IMG_9762.JPG
    Tesla Mobile Van IMG_9762.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Tesla Nail Right Rear IMG_9847.JPG
    Tesla Nail Right Rear IMG_9847.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: PalmPilot
howardnj: "I'm wondering if Tesla's attract nails in tires as it has been over ten years with my previous ICE vehicles having a tire issue."

Uhh...you're joking, right? Can't tell with internet speak...How could ANY car's tires "attract nails"???

gt2690b: An alignment ($95-180) to save $1200+ of tires? I'll take that gamble.

Last edited:
howardnj: "I'm wondering if Tesla's attract nails in tires as it has been over ten years with my previous ICE vehicles having a tire issue."

Uhh...you're joking, right? Can't tell with internet speak...How could ANY car's tires "attract nails"???

Maybe.. my tires are more like 800.. also they still wear out no matter what could be throwing out $180 but I'll do it nevertheless next time

I mean isn't the standard alignment a negative camber anyway? Are people getting 40k miles with standard negative camber or are they going all square and flat

I mean isn't the standard alignment a negative camber anyway? Are people getting 40k miles with standard negative camber or are they going all square and flat
According to the Chinese Owner's manual (and assuming it's not much, if any different from the US), camber alignment is +/- half a degree in front and +/- one degree in rear... which isn't much of anything.

A Google search result:

However, a difference in camber side to side will not result in tire wear, only extreme amounts of camber, negative or positive, will cause tire wear, but this wear will be relatively slow.
So: Camber and caster will cause your vehicle to pull if they're uneven, but will cause little tire wear, while toe in won't cause your vehicle to pull, but can cause extremely fast tire wear. This is why your vehicle can pull and not wear out tires, or it can drive perfectly straight and destroy them in a hurry!

Last edited:
According to the Chinese Owner's manual (and assuming it's not much, if any different from the US), camber alignment is +/- half a degree in front and +/- one degree in rear... which isn't much of anything.

A Google search result:
I guess I should be more worried of toe than camber

My tires (Y and S) always wear on the inside rear where the negative camber seems to be but it's doesn't seem that excessive... Maybe 1mm inside tread and 4mm on outside.. basically the whole tire is shot at 4mm anyway

All this talk about tires. Am I the only one that had to replace two rear tires in the month of April in two different states?
First a broken drill bit in my left rear tire on April 3rd. Tesla mobile service showed up in my driveway in 40 minutes to replace and balance a new tire in New Jersey.
Yesterday April 28th while in Florida, Tesla replaced the right rear tire due to a nail.
I'm wondering if Tesla's attract nails in tires as it has been over ten years with my previous ICE vehicles having a tire issue.

They do! I had 4 flat tires last year and two of them are unfixable. Which let me eventually changed all tires prematurely. Three things I can think of. 1. Wider tires. 2 higher tire pressure. 3 fsd beta, it does not always move like human so higher chance end up driving over debris.

A Google search result:
FYI,

I got my alignment done (did the lifetime at firestone).. the toe was off by over 1% on both the front and back.. hoping to get more miles out of my next set of tires now!

the techs had never worked on a tesla and thought the oil filter on the gear box was hilarious

they also missed some screws and clips getting the plastic back on but i fixed it when i got home.. overall a decent experience

Last edited: