Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y with 21 inch 7k miles and rear tires almost worn out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone actually tried these yet on the y Performance? Would love some review/opinions...

Overall would like to have tires that can pull 15k at least on wear and maybe slightly softer ride (make my wife happy)
i have the
Has anyone actually tried these yet on the y Performance? Would love some review/opinions...

Overall would like to have tires that can pull 15k at least on wear and maybe slightly softer ride (make my wife happy)
i have these on 255/40-20 YOKOHAMA PARADA SPEC X after i replaced my 21 and i am really happy
the ride comfort should get better but not so much since the P zero are really hard tires i learned that after i took them off and compare them
with the YOKO

i have the

i have these on 255/40-20 YOKOHAMA PARADA SPEC X after i replaced my 21 and i am really happy
the ride comfort should get better but not so much since the P zero are really hard tires i learned that after i took them off and compare them
with the YOKO

The P Zero is a higher load rating, that could be a contributor to the stiffness of the sidewall.

Last edited:
Would there be any difference in road comfort if I switched from the Pirelli P Zero 21" to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S? Tirerack gave the Pilot Sport 4S a score of 9.0 in Comfort Performance and the P Zero a 7.9. Wondering if anyone had any experience with the PS4's.

Riding in these P Zero tires feels super harsh and abrasive.

Attachments

• tirerackY.png
    tirerackY.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 48
Almost certainly you have an alignment issue to only get 7K miles out of the rear tires. No, it's not the weight of the car. No, it's not the power of the car. No, it's not soft tires. No, it's not the driving style.

Listen up boys, have you not read thread after thread after thread of build quality issues with Tesla where the factory was lazy and sloppy??

Why in the world would you think that Tesla would overlook the opportunity to screw up the wheel alignments in their factory??

Last edited:
Would there be any difference in road comfort if I switched from the Pirelli P Zero 21" to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S? Tirerack gave the Pilot Sport 4S a score of 9.0 in Comfort Performance and the P Zero a 7.9. Wondering if anyone had any experience with the PS4's.

Riding in these P Zero tires feels super harsh and abrasive.

The Michelins have a better reputation. Try dropping to 40 psi if you haven’t yet. Either way it’s a harsh ride on the 21s. I’ve gotten used to it but I’ll be buying coilovers and lighter wheels in the future.

I am definitely waiting for the Pilot Sport A/S 4's to come to 255/35/21, as noted earlier they are available in canada and we have them already in 275/35/21 so hopefully it will be available soon. As someone in a mid-latitude where we only get snow a few times a year but have plenty of time below 40 degrees (I'm in Maryland), A/S tires just make the most sense as you shouldn't really stay on summers all winter but it's not worth the hassel of having dedicated winter tires for the few times you might need that extra traction. I previously had the A/S 3+, very very good tire (as is the continental DWS 06 but those aren't available in our size). Also, the A/S 4 will most definitely have a longer treadlife than P Zero, and has more than enough handling for normal spirited driving though I'm certain the Pirellis (or Pilot Sport 4 for Michelin) would have more grip at the limit, I never (intentionally) see the limit.

Reactions: gundarx
I’ve got 5700 miles on mine and they still look new.
I just rotated my 21 Uberturbines and checked wear after 7k miles... all were wearing uniformly and I had more than 8/32 everywhere. They start at 10/32 so I anticipate getting a bit more than 20k out of them. Planing to give the Pilot Sport 4S a try then.

This is exactly my experience. My stats are almost identical. I actually had Tesla mobile service today (homelink installation) and the service rep said my tires were in excellent shape. He said I should expect 15-20k with no problems.

I just rotated my 21 Uberturbines and checked wear after 7k miles... all were wearing uniformly and I had more than 8/32 everywhere. They start at 10/32 so I anticipate getting a bit more than 20k out of them. Planing to give the Pilot Sport 4S a try then.

I just checked...both rears are substantially worn. The fronts appear to be almost like new... plenty of tread

I dont understand what would cause the rears to wear like that... most cars i have had the fronts wear fast...

My SC said regenerative braking wears tires..not sure how that can be...

Which cannot be done with directional tires without dismounting and remounting the tires. “Side to side” rotation only works with non-directional tires.
Yes, you can. I believe the 21" OEM tires are asymmetric and are marked with (Outside) stamp on the wall so left to right rotation is allowed. There are directional tires marked with (left/right) on the wall but not really that common anymore because you can only rotate them front to rear, provided that you don't have a staggered setup.

• Informative
Reactions: Lozzy
Wow, you must have a heavy foot! Mostly highway driving here, 11k miles and the tires still have 7/32nd left on them
It doesnt really make sense..i am not driving the car hard to see that kind of difference...also it is only the rears the fronts look great....

Also i live in florida where almost all the roads are straight...so its not like I’m curving at high speeds....