Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y with 21 inch 7k miles and rear tires almost worn out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, you can. I believe the 21" OEM tires are asymmetric and are marked with (Outside) stamp on the wall so left to right rotation is allowed. There are directional tires marked with (left/right) on the wall but not really that common anymore because you can only rotate them front to rear, provided that you don't have a staggered setup.

Good to know! I confirmed there is no directional arrow on the tire.

Yes, you can. I believe the 21" OEM tires are asymmetric and are marked with (Outside) stamp on the wall so left to right rotation is allowed. There are directional tires marked with (left/right) on the wall but not really that common anymore because you can only rotate them front to rear, provided that you don't have a staggered setup.

I guess we need someone to post a photo of the tire. I don't have our Tesla yet and assumed the commenter above, Lozzy, knew the difference between directional and inside/outside marked tires.

Excited to know the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's are coming out in our 21" sizes (255 and 275). I was debating buying a set of the tsportline replica wheels that looks really good and just like our stock 21" wheels. They sell them in 19" and 20". I am in the same boat as many, live in VA and while we do get snow, its typically 3-4 times a year and if its really bad, it just makes more sense to stay home. That said, summer tires are a death trap even if it doesn't snow. Just a dusting can be super dangerous with summer tires... hence me wanting some all seasons. Did the whole swap summers and snow tires for years.. just got tired of that honesty. While going to 19's or 20's would probably increase range/ride quality a bit, I could buy 2.5 sets of tires for my 21's for the cost of buying all new wheels and tires.

I guess we need someone to post a photo of the tire. I don't have our Tesla yet and assumed the commenter above, Lozzy, knew the difference between directional and inside/outside marked tires.

Don’t assume I know anything! Hahah

Here’s some tire pics I just took. They are neither directional or run flat.
B6EBCD07-AB70-409A-8C26-7ABF850E7F00.jpeg
15620817-E880-4A1B-BE02-5693B8E1C1BF.jpeg
3DA3D0A4-3DCC-4A91-B203-64459F65205D.jpeg

Reactions: imola.zhp
If the 21s were run flats, you'd be riding around like Fred Flintstone. The tires/wheels would literally feel like rollers made of stone due to its reinforced, 1/2"-thick side walls. You wouldn't have any teeth left after driving in LA city streets. :D

• Love
Reactions: bdaviskc
Mine are wearing down pretty fast as well. 21s and I always drive in sport but not like I’m racing it. I doubt it will last 10k. I had a flat recently. $450 to replace one rear tire. Crazy.

Next time going forged 20s Square set up to save money, get better performance and little
Range.

Hi all, I went to the Tesla service center ...on the 21’s front look almost new and rears have another 2k miles they feel
With that said i should get about 9k on rears and 15-20k on fronts so a 2 to 1 ratio rear to front

Still trying to decide what to do...
Is it worth sticking with Tesla wheels for the roadside swap ease? Or go after marker like tsportline bundle wheel/tires

Has anyone in this thread gone from the 21 to 20’s and what kind of ride difference did you notice? Any real handling change? Substantially improved ride quality?

I’m not unhappy with the ride quality as driver as our roads are good..but my wife as a passenger feels it could be improved...

If i end up going with the all season 21 that is coming out will Tesla roadside still provide a loaner swap? Or am i on my own at that point?

Hi all, I went to the Tesla service center ...on the 21’s front look almost new and rears have another 2k miles they feel
With that said i should get about 9k on rears and 15-20k on fronts so a 2 to 1 ratio rear to front

Is it worth sticking with Tesla wheels for the roadside swap ease? Or go after marker like tsportline bundle wheel/tires

Has anyone in this thread gone from the 21 to 20’s and what kind of ride difference did you notice? Any real handling change? Substantially improved ride quality?

I’m not unhappy with the ride quality as driver as our roads are good..but my wife as a passenger feels it could be improved...

If i end up going with the all season 21 that is coming out will Tesla roadside still provide a loaner swap? Or am i on my own at that point?

I wouldn’t be surprised if the all seasons turn into a regular tire for the performance. In many climates it’s a liability but it seems they went this route because of nothing else being available.

So I have a rookie question here on the whole snow tire and wheel choices for the Y (Performance). I see at TSportline, their 20" wheel / winter tire option package is for 4x 255/40-20 tires.

If I go look around TireRack, I can find 4x 255/40-r21 winter tires or 4x 255/35-r21 winter tires (Vredestein or Pilot Alpin 4).

So if the TSportline option for 20", matching sized tires all the way around is good, why wouldn't I be ok with the factory 21" wheels but just add matching sized winter tires all the way around (either 4 255/35-r21 or 4 255/40-r21)? I would just slap them on for Winter and then swap back to the OEM summer tires after.

Do I really care about the slight width difference in the rear from the OEM 21" summer tires to these for 5 months?

The front winter tires would be the same dimensions as the OEM Summer tires and the rear winters would be .78 inches less wide than the OEM summers.

Seems like kinda a simple (and less expensive) solution than buying a completely new wheel and tire set. I get that 21" aren't as good as 20" in winter, but I would feel pretty confident with true winter tires and AWD.

Thanks in advance for insight.

I don't think 255/40R21 will fit or work, since it is 29 inch diameter, too big.

The MY wants 28 inch diameter tires, which is: 255/35R21 or 255/40R20 or 255/45R19.

What ever you choose, it should be 28 inches or very close to that, otherwise you will have issues with odometer, speedometer and clearance.

Reactions: frankvb
255/40/21 would indeed be too large (see comparison image below).255/35/21 would be good but check if the rear wheel width is acceptable to mount those on. Anyway, the load rating seems too low for the rear (Pilot Alpin in that size is 98W XL, and Vredestein 98Y XL)

upload_2020-10-18_21-12-41.png

Last edited:

I went to 20s for summer and 19s for winter. The ride quality is improved on the 20s. There’s just more cushion provided by the increased sidewall and more/cheaper tires choices. Handling is about the same. Swapping to the 19s in 2 weeks, so no input on those yet.

20s
C4D50BD8-7E67-41CF-AB89-E6AB29E66C2B.jpeg
03A20256-C48E-4BDE-A619-15DFF91CDAFD.jpeg
19s
74EE95BE-1B78-4977-88FC-CBA94FE4BE6E.jpeg

Attachments

• 6656152B-7D55-4906-8C2F-0F5E5E1C22AB.jpeg
    6656152B-7D55-4906-8C2F-0F5E5E1C22AB.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 215
I am definitely waiting for the Pilot Sport A/S 4's to come to 255/35/21, as noted earlier they are available in canada and we have them already in 275/35/21 so hopefully it will be available soon. As someone in a mid-latitude where we only get snow a few times a year but have plenty of time below 40 degrees (I'm in Maryland), A/S tires just make the most sense as you shouldn't really stay on summers all winter but it's not worth the hassel of having dedicated winter tires for the few times you might need that extra traction. I previously had the A/S 3+, very very good tire (as is the continental DWS 06 but those aren't available in our size). Also, the A/S 4 will most definitely have a longer treadlife than P Zero, and has more than enough handling for normal spirited driving though I'm certain the Pirellis (or Pilot Sport 4 for Michelin) would have more grip at the limit, I never (intentionally) see the limit.
Are you planning on staying with the oem staggers or blocking , say 245's? Im in va and want to run uber wheels not purchase new ones. Thank you