Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow ring around Main Display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the center screen and attached computer (called MCU I think) replaces in my wife’s out of warranty Model S. It was $2.7k. And they required that they keep the old MCU (so no core value or sell opportunity).
That's ridiculous, esp. if it was a customer paid repair.

In my dealings w/Japanese automakers, if it's a recall or other warranty covered repair, the customer doesn't get the bad part back, esp. recalled ones (for very good reason). But, if the customer has to pay for the full price of the part, they usually don't mind giving you the bad part if you ask for it.

Noticed ring today. Called service, part back ordered for 1-2 months. Doesn’t bother me,
But service said they wanted to replace it.
What annoys me about these 1-2 month backorders is that you're getting 1-2 months less of warranty time on the replacement. If this happens multiple times, we may miss the warranty window for the replacement (if the issue comes back on those parts) and have to pay full cost.

My SC said that it was just the touchscreen panel that was discoloring and so only that layer needs to be replaced. I am scheduled for replacement on the 30th and I'll report if the touchscreen replacement was sufficient.

Had my X for one month and took it in for trim pieces missing on the FWD which I missed on initial delivery. Also had them check the air vents in the rear as one of my friends said she was not feeling any air (I have fold down 7) and of course, I also noticed the yellowing and they said they will replace the screen but don’t have the part in. It’s been just one week and they said that I could wait it out or pick it up now and they’d call me when they get a screen in. I chose to just pick up my X since I miss it. I have an S w/o AP and it’s a little frustrating how easily spoiled you get. :p

I have an 07/17 build (perhaps one of the first fold down 7s) but I was also led to believe that the tow package was made standard by then and I do not have a hitch. Can anyone lead me to the right answer on this? Thanks!

Reactions: Sandiegodoug
Have a late Jan 2017 S and just got the yellow border problem.

Now that MCU2 is out, how long will I have to wait before they run out of MCU1 replacement parts and HAVE to replace my MCU with MCU2? I have 7 years of warranty left so I can be VERY patient ;)

You don't have 7 years of warranty left -- the MCU is not part of the drivetrain. Its part of the 4y/50k and Tesla is on record as saying they will only replace MCU1 with MCU1, though I also have this issue and am hoping to wait it out and have Tesla change their mind and give MCU2s.

The other issue is that sometimes Tesla replaces only the screen and not the entire MCU....but it doesn't bother me that much so I'm willing to wait and see.

You don't have 7 years of warranty left -- the MCU is not part of the drivetrain. Its part of the 4y/50k and Tesla is on record as saying they will only replace MCU1 with MCU1, though I also have this issue and am hoping to wait it out and have Tesla change their mind and give MCU2s.

The other issue is that sometimes Tesla replaces only the screen and not the entire MCU....but it doesn't bother me that much so I'm willing to wait and see.

Have extended warranty (courtesy of Tesla!) so yep got 7 years. Eventually they’ll run out of MCU1, no?

Unbelievably after having my main display replaced many months ago, the yellow is back today on screen #2. I guess it's time for a third screen and perhaps a change of mind about buying extended warranty.

In dishonor, I have revived this old thread.

Good luck... hope they can fix it quick. Did your replacement come with MCU2? I just had mine replaced, seems like I got MCU2 (at least that's what mobile service also said), and does seem much peppier. Hoping that I won't experience this issue with a new screen bundled with MCU2.

I have an 07/17 build (perhaps one of the first fold down 7s) but I was also led to believe that the tow package was made standard by then and I do not have a hitch. Can anyone lead me to the right answer on this? Thanks!
On the off chance that you haven't already gotten an answer to this, the tow package was not standard in July 2017. IIRC, it wasn't made standard until September 2017. I have an August 2017 X without tow package and without premium audio (was still separate from PUP then; I bought an inventory model with PUP to get the .99% financing that ended on September 30th, 2017).

ETA: To be clear, my X was built in August, may mean it was ordered / scheduled in July, so it is possible that August 2017 is when tow package became standard and premium audio became included in PUP.

Good luck... hope they can fix it quick. Did your replacement come with MCU2? I just had mine replaced, seems like I got MCU2 (at least that's what mobile service also said), and does seem much peppier. Hoping that I won't experience this issue with a new screen bundled with MCU2.

I just called about getting my screen replaced due to the yellow rings, they said the replacement cannot be performed via mobile service. Costa Mesa, CA service center.

What service center did you use?

Thanks.

I just called about getting my screen replaced due to the yellow rings, they said the replacement cannot be performed via mobile service. Costa Mesa, CA service center.

What service center did you use?

Thanks.

San Diego. Just did it on 7/2. Took 4 hours because he had to call engineering a few times to get access to certain parts and update all the software. Can definitely be done mobile—they take off all the front trim to access the screen, then detach screen with mcu it seems in one piece and replace it, then put everything back. No special tools, he just used a power drill to take off the bolts.