Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow ring around Main Display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good luck... hope they can fix it quick. Did your replacement come with MCU2? I just had mine replaced, seems like I got MCU2 (at least that's what mobile service also said), and does seem much peppier. Hoping that I won't experience this issue with a new screen bundled with MCU2.
Can u confirm if u get MCU2 please? I have an appointment to replace my MCU1

I guess u probably got MCU1 because MCU2 is so much faster than it is not even close. U will notice right away.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
We've had this done twice.

Last December, the service paperwork shows they replaced the entire MCU. When we got the car back, it had lost all settings, like when it was originally delivered.

When we had the repair done again two weeks ago, the service paperwork shows they only replaced the MCU display, and when we got the car back, all of our settings and data were still there.

Unless they see a problem with the MCU, they likely will not be replacing it - and only replace the display.

Plus, at least for Model S cars with MCU1, upgrading to MCU2 will likely lose AM radio.

Reactions: MIT_S60
When we had the repair done again two weeks ago, the service paperwork shows they only replaced the MCU display, and when we got the car back, all of our settings and data were still there.

Plus, at least for Model S cars with MCU1, upgrading to MCU2 will likely lose AM radio.

My SC has a screen on order for my March 2018-build X 100D. They told me it's just the screen that needs to be replaced... not the entire MCU.

And is that right?... Model S with the new MCU loses AM radio?

I ended up with the ultimate ring on mine, it doesn't look like anyone else's so I may have a different issue, once I see how much they have to replace I'll update what I got. Screenshot_20180824-103954.png Screenshot_20180824-104011.png

fasteddie - the ring is more visible with a white background (browser window), when the yellow banding is more obvious

when they were only replacing a few, it was easier for the service centers to replace the entire MCU than trying to do just the screen. But with so many displays needing replacement, they evidently trained the service centers in how to replace just the screens, which should significantly reduce the cost of parts, but could require more technician time to do the repair.

Hopefully they've worked with the display supplier and fixed this problem, so we won't be going back for another replacement in 6 months...

NOTE on our 2012 S P85, it had bubbles show up on the display, evidently a different problem with the adhesive. It showed up after our first 50K miles, and since we had the extended warranty, it only cost us the $200 deductible to get it replaced.

The yellow border issue appeared on my late March Model X 100D about a month ago. My X was one of the first to be built with MCU2. I was going to wait until my 12500 mile service to have it fixed but if the screens are back ordered for months I will get put on the list now. Thanks for posting this.

My March 2018 Model X has the yellow ring. Hesitant towards fixing it because I don't want them to replace my MCU2 with MCU1. On a side note, does MCU2 still feel much slower then the Model 3 for anyone else? Model 3 feels way more snappier to me, even with the updated MCU on the X.

jun '16 here

Starting to think this is a good reason to buy the extended warranty when the time comes. I asked the service technician how much this would have cost without warranty and he said $6-7k.

That’s my struggle. I did buy the extended warranty but deciding whether to keep it. The problem is Tesla’s solution to repairs right now is what is fastest. For example, just replace screen and mcu when likely only screen needs replacement, or when my third row seat wouldn’t fold back up, just replace the whole seat instead of whatever broke inside. I definitely appreciate that right now, and understand they want to provide the best service as fast as possible, but if that continues over the next 3-5 years those willl be expensive repairs! Maybe it saves on labor charge though to just replace bigger parts instead of dissecting into the one part that needs repairs...

My SC has a screen on order for my March 2018-build X 100D. They told me it's just the screen that needs to be replaced... not the entire MCU.
And is that right?... Model S with the new MCU loses AM radio?

Correct. There is no AM radio in any current Tesla, S, X, or 3. Relic from an era gone buy (spelling intentional, <grin>). My 2015 has one, that sucks so bad it is nearly useless. My 2018 does not.

Correct. There is no AM radio in any current Tesla, S, X, or 3. Relic from an era gone buy (spelling intentional, <grin>). My 2015 has one, that sucks so bad it is nearly useless. My 2018 does not.

I know a bit off topic, but around my neck of the woods, there are a few good news and talk radio AM stations. On my Model S, I would use either the AM band or a sub-channel on a FM-HD station. Problem is, the FM sub-channels on my new Model X do not work for some reason. Another problem is (sort of) with TuneIn: One AM station I like will only work if I'm on WiFi but not on LTE/3G. Reason is the station geo-locks the internet transmission, and my Tesla thinks it's in the US (I'm in Canada) because of the way they route their internet access.

The FM subchannels work in our 2 month old X 100D.

We periodically have used the AM radio in our S P85 (traded-in for the X) and our S 100D - and miss it in the X (AM is no longer available on new Model S configurations either).

To compensate for the loss of AM, we're using XM radio. You can get a few national news broadcasts plus live sports programming. And if XM is broadcasting the opponent's station, we'll use our smartphone's XM app to stream the local team's broadcast.

While AM on our Model S cars hasn't been as good a quality as AM in our previous ICEs, AM stations are much easier to find (than using hunt-and-peck to find a specific AM station on an FM/HD sub-channel) and AM has a longer range than the HD FM broadcasts.

And Tune-In isn't a replacement for AM, because they are losing quite few stations to Radio.com, plus live sports broadcasts are usually blocked from Tune-In.

Was listening to the Astros game this afternoon using an AM/HD radio station (on FM) in our X.

mknox, if you can hear FM stations - but not the HD sub-stations, verify you have the "HD" button enabled when you're tuning XM radio - the button should be in dark gray when selected. If you still aren't able to tune any HD/FM sub-stations - then trying doing a console reboot (pressing both steer wheel buttons until the displays go black).

And, if that doesn't work, call Tesla's phone support - and see if they can help. If you can get FM but not HD, more likely it is a software problem - possibly a firmware mis-match of update failure...