Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the appointment scheduled this morning with Santa Clara SC. I got this message last evening.

"Michael here from Santa clara service center, isee that we have an appointment tomorrow to address the yellow border screen concern, sorry to inform you but our tool was damaged and we can not addressed your concern tomorrow. we will have to reschedule you out till next month hopefully we will have the tool fixed by then if the appointment does not work for you please feel free to edit the appointment from your mobile application. thanks have a great rest of the evening!"

A friend of mine had the appointment today as well, but he got a message last Saturday saying the tool is not available. SFO South bay SCs are total crap, they open their mouth only to tell lies.

I went to Sunnyvale Service Center last week and they told me there is no fix available for Yellow border issue. When I asked about the UV fix they claimed ignorance.

Since the poster a few posts back said that they had the uv treatment done at the Austin Service Center, I went ahead and made an appointment to get it done. This is my 3rd or 4th attempt. The message I got back was different than previous responses. They are now saying that the treatment IS NOT PERMANENT:

"The yellow condition is not a defect and is not covered under warranty. However, Tesla has developed a procedure which uses ultraviolet light to remove the yellowing condition for a period of time and we will apply it as a one-time goodwill gesture. Please note that this is NOT a treatment that removes the yellowing condition permanently."

Since the poster a few posts back said that they had the uv treatment done at the Austin Service Center, I went ahead and made an appointment to get it done. This is my 3rd or 4th attempt. The message I got back was different than previous responses. They are now saying that the treatment IS NOT PERMANENT:

"The yellow condition is not a defect and is not covered under warranty. However, Tesla has developed a procedure which uses ultraviolet light to remove the yellowing condition for a period of time and we will apply it as a one-time goodwill gesture. Please note that this is NOT a treatment that removes the yellowing condition permanently."
I think that everyone should avoid getting worked up over Tesla's lack of complete confidence in the fix. Tesla was, no doubt, as surprised as the rest of us that the original screen yellowed over time. Tesla identified what they believe to be the cause (insufficient curing) and implemented a fix (additional curing) to rectify the issue.

Wording like the above is a statement follows from Tesla's inability to guarantee that the fix is permanent, any more than they can now promise that the original screen will never yellow (having discovered that the screens did not receive sufficient curing during manufacturing). Only time will tell. The only way that Tesla can gain engineering confidence in how "permanent" the fix really is is by applying it and letting the screen age. But I doubt everyone with the problem is willing to wait a couple of years for before getting their yellowing screen fixed.

Last edited:
But I doubt everyone with the problem is willing to wait a couple of years for before getting their yellowing screen fixed.

As has been noted before, what happens if you wait past your warranty expiration? Even if it is supposed to be covered, who wants to get into a pi***** contest w Tesla about when you identified the issue to them. I’ve been waiting patiently for a year. At some point I may just go the arbitration route. That is the only way to get anything timely.

I am hoping that the articles I read about hiring more service personnel and the fact that Tesla turned a profit this quarter, lead to a service improvement, including this issue. We’ll see.

As has been noted before, what happens if you wait past your warranty expiration? Even if it is supposed to be covered, who wants to get into a pi***** contest w Tesla about when you identified the issue to them.
I have my initial Email discussion with them printed off (from Dec 2018), they told me then that they are aware of the issue but there is no point replacing the screen because it will just happen again. We all know that but if this ever turns in to a me against them at least I have in writing that they agreed there was a part defect in 2018 and I've been waiting ever since for a fix.

This would have to be the most poorly handled fix I've seen from a car company, I get that they did not want to replace every screen because of the time and costs involved, but how is it they haven't rolled out a bunch of these UV machines already, and then ones they have rolled out keep breaking!

Reactions: Skipdd
Got another BP elevating response from Tesla Support. I think the only option now is to take the arbitration route. I am making sure none of my friends/colleagues buy Tesla.

"
Thank you for contacting Tesla Support, I apologize for the delayed response.

Some owners have shared concerns regarding a yellow border forming around the edges of the touchscreen. Tesla has reviewed these cases and determined this is a wear and cosmetic condition, which has no impact on performance, function, or reliability of the touchscreen. Therefore this is not a defect, and Tesla has no obligation to replace the touchscreen under warranty.

However, Tesla is in the process of releasing a procedure which uses ultraviolet light to reduce the yellowing condition. More information on this procedure will be released soon. Owners may pay for this procedure, and please note that the treatment through this procedure will not remove the yellowing condition permanently. Alternatively, owners may pay to replace the touchscreen with the latest revision that is not susceptible to this condition.

For any additional questions you have regarding this process once further information has been released, your local Service Team will be able to best assist you.

Thank you for helping us accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

Best,
Benjamin K. | Tesla Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd. Draper, UT 84020
"

I think that everyone should avoid getting worked up over Tesla's lack of complete confidence in the fix. Tesla was, no doubt, as surprised as the rest of us that the original screen yellowed over time. Tesla identified what they believe to be the cause (insufficient curing) and implemented a fix (additional curing) to rectify the issue.

Wording like the above is a statement follows from Tesla's inability to guarantee that the fix is permanent, any more than they can now promise that the original screen will never yellow (having discovered that the screens did not receive sufficient curing during manufacturing). Only time will tell. The only way that Tesla can gain engineering confidence in how "permanent" the fix really is is by applying it and letting the screen age. But I doubt everyone with the problem is willing to wait a couple of years for before getting their yellowing screen fixed.
Well, they are saying it's not permanent at the same time as saying they will only try to fix it once as good-will, so logically what they are saying is that this is not a manufacturing defect (insufficient curing) but rather a normal wear of a component (e.g. yellowing in 6 -12 months). Seems like a good reason as any to get worked up over.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I have my initial Email discussion with them printed off (from Dec 2018), they told me then that they are aware of the issue but there is no point replacing the screen because it will just happen again. We all know that but if this ever turns in to a me against them at least I have in writing that they agreed there was a part defect in 2018 and I've been waiting ever since for a fix.

This would have to be the most poorly handled fix I've seen from a car company, I get that they did not want to replace every screen because of the time and costs involved, but how is it they haven't rolled out a bunch of these UV machines already, and then ones they have rolled out keep breaking!
Problem with Tesla is that it doesn't really matter what you have in an email, unless you're willing to go to court. In this case they could claim employee error too. I talked with a lawyer about something a lot more obvious, the 691hp issue on the P85D which turned out to be 463hp instead, there the issue is almost a certain win, but the costs and time involved are just not worth it. I could spend $15K-$30K and the next 2-3 years suing for up to $25K - I really have better things to do. I just stopped buying more new Teslas.

which has no impact on performance, function, or reliability of the touchscreen
Actually, the party line changed slightly - they used to have "no impact on resale value". I went to arbitration (won) and I think that was my biggest point.

Issues due to sunlight are excluded in the warranty - but they are saying it's "heat", not "sunlight" - if I were to go again, I'd emphasize that aspect. Sounds like arbitration continues to be the route needed for many of us who cannot get one of these machines in their local SC. My SC would not even maintain an "interested parties" list to call when they had it.

And I tend to go to extreme examples anyway - "So, Mr. Tesla, where in the owners manual does it say to not operate the vehicle in sunlight?", "Or are there special sunlight precautions the owner is advised to do which would prevent this from occurring?";)

I noticed the yellow border around the center screen of my 2017 S 75 after may be a year later. I really didn't notice it first but my son did. I didn't try to get it fixed in the service center, although I visited service a month ago for a different reason. But the question is, does the yellow strip get bigger with time and will it consume the whole screen eventually?

"However, Tesla is in the process of releasing a procedure which uses ultraviolet light to reduce the yellowing condition. More information on this procedure will be released soon. Owners may pay for this procedure, and please note that the treatment through this procedure will not remove the yellowing condition permanently. Alternatively, owners may pay to replace the touchscreen with the latest revision that is not susceptible to this condition."

Wait, since when did Tesla start telling people that they would need to pay for the UV treatment?