Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the car is scheduled to charge from 30% to 70% using the octopus go off peak 00.30 to 4.30 ( that teslafi confirms) and TeslafI is also scheduled to start charging at 06.30 & finish at 09.30 will the TeslafI schedule happen & charge to approx 100% or will it see the battery at 70% which the car is set too & assume that is the max charge required?
I’ve never tried this & wonder if anyone knows the answer.

The car will only ever charge to its set maximum, regardless of what other apps or charge stations are set to.

Though do be careful what you schedule or set up in TeslaFi, because it can be set to modify the maximum charge in the car. It won't override what's set in the car unless you specifically set it up to do so though.

Thanks for your response guys, that helps & not any different than what I imagined.
I’ve now used TeslafI to reprogram the car to 100% & reduced the current so that the 100% charge level will be reached about 30 mins before I leave, probably while I’m packing.

Reactions: Dilly
Thanks for your response guys, that helps & not any different than what I imagined.
I’ve now used TeslafI to reprogram the car to 100% & reduced the current so that the 100% charge level will be reached about 30 mins before I leave, probably while I’m packing.
Be aware that you will need to allow longer than expected to fully get to 100%. The last bit takes longer and even when it first indicates 100% it carries on for a while balancing the cells.

I have a schedule in TesalFi to do that (i.e. a "Boost before trip departure")

Some things I have learnt:

Setting it to "One time" means it deletes it and have all the hassle of setting it up next time. So I now DISABLE it after use (kinda important to remember to do that though!) and then ENABLE and adjust TIME next time I need those tasks.

TesalFi will re-try a failed command for (i think) 5 minutes. Thus I space some 5 minutes apart belt-and-braces

Set ALL these to Location=HOME

Wake Up - just in case car is in deep sleep and it might miss the next command
Set Charge Limit (to 100%)
Start charging (Start Time = X hours before departure. I get 7% per hour, and I add 30 minutes at least)
Start HVAC (e.g. 15 minutes before departure)
Stop HVAC (15 minutes after intended departure - in case I don't actually leave!)
Set Charge Limit - 90% (or whatever is your Norm. NOTE: Set Location=ANY - you should have left by then!)

If you create these one-after-the-other they will have sequential ID numbers. You can then press the SORT on ID column to group them so that, next time, you can just adjust the times (on each :( ) for your next trip. Would be much better if TeslaFi enabled grouping a bunch on tasks as offsets from each other, then would only need to set the START TIME on the first one ... but ...

Assuming you are only using this TRIP schedule a few times a year then I think it is important that it completes. Leaving the car at 100% for a couple of hours is not something to sweat over (a few times a year). Charging fully to 100% will rebalance the cells, and can take 30 minutes ... or more ... after the car gets to 100%. This will improve (i.e. "reset") the cars prediction of range. So allow enough time for 10)% charge to complete fully. No need to reduce the AMPs, the car will adjust to a trickle as it gets to 100%

Other things you could do:

Probably not relevant for this task, but you can set "Plug in reminder" and "When battery is below XX%" location=HOME and charger=ANY

Because: we had a charger at work that tripped quite often. Annoying to leave office and find the charger had tripped 10 minutes after I plugged in in the morning! so I calculated what the charge needed to be 2 hours before leaving (and another 4 hours before) and set those reminders at those times. If it tripped I still had time to reset it, and resume charging, to have full charge for the trip home.

You could use that if your scheduled charge is important, to make sure (e.g. XX minutes after starting) that the SoC is on target :)

"Charge Limit Reminder" "When charge is above 91%" for, say, 6PM to remind you (e.g. by email) if you forget to change it back from 100% so you can do that before tonights "overnight charge"

I have a "Stop charging" 5 minutes before end of Off Peak rate. If I come home "empty" it will take more than one overnight charge to replenish the car, but unless I'm going somewhere distant "tomorrow" I can wait for two nights and don't want to pay PEAK rate for the top-end-bit.

Beware if your "100% charge for trip departure" tasks overlaps with a regular "Stop charging" or "Change limit to 50%" etc. !

Proper 1st world problem :)

You can use COLUMN SORT on TIME to check that your "100% charge for trip departure" tasks don't overlap with anything (and if they do then DISABLE them ... but you have to then remember to re-enable them before "tomorrow" ...)