Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another good reason to install a dash cam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ME does everything it should I will list some of the features and my take on there usefulness

Lane departure warning: This can be is annoying I had the "haptic feed back" installed on the steering column but it does what it should and forces you to indicate which is a good practice anyway.

Forward collision Warning (FCW): works great in cruse control as it cuts it off and the car decelerates (regen) as soon as the cruse kicks off and the Haptic vibrates. The issue I have is the ME is not reading my speed correctly it is 7 mph off (slower) than I am traveling and only shows the speed increasing in blocks of 5mph, and as it calculates the distance/time it takes to stop before hitting the car in front at speed X I am sure that the time/distance it shows me is inaccurate.

That is if you are traveling at 60mph and a distance of 10' the ME reads it will take .7 seconds to the back of the car in front, if you are traveling at 30MPH at a distance of 10' the ME read 2.0 seconds to the car in front (these are just examples it may read more or less)
If you have your foot on the go pedal and get closer than your pre set "safe time/distance" you get a quick deceleration and the both pedals pressed warning flashes, this is OK except if a car moves in front of you or you accelerate to pass and trip the FCW the car will momentarily slow.

One good feature is if you creep towards a car say at a light it will trigger the Haptic if you get to close (I Have mine set at 24") this I find useful and I test it regularly

Pedestrian Collision Warning: Still trying to convince the wife to stand in front of the car while I floor it to see if I get a warning just before I hit her.

High Beam Control: Automatically switches to High Beam on dark or dimly lit road and switches back if it detects red tail lights or headlights, also switches to low at 17mph and slower, this is useful but really is it that much trouble to flip on you high beams

Speed Limit Indicator: Only shows up on your phone so I mounted my phone so I can see it but as the speed reading is incorrect on the ME this is useless
It also reads traffic speed limit signs and tells you (on your phone) you are in a 40mph zone and are exceeding that speed, another bells an whistle useless option as the ME thinks I am going 7mph slower than I am.

Bottom line if this is the stuff (except ACC) that you get with the new tech package buy a Mobile Eye and leave 1.3 seconds sooner save $30K. Honestly its OK but just an excuse for another toy in the Tesla you can do without.

One last bitch..Mobile Eye Support is non existent I have emailed them twice regarding the ME not reading the correct speed and still nothing.

On a side note my car tends to beep quite a bit, the wife laughs at all the beeps and chirps my car makes as the laser jammers says "welcome" when you get in, the Camera says "Parking Mode Disabled" when you start to drive, the Bell radar detector tells you "Red Light Camera" at just about every red light and is constantly chirping and calling out what type or radar is in use., and the Mobile Eye is constantly beeping and buzzing.
So much for a quite ride :smile:

If you do swing for the ME Installation is not that difficult but should be done by a shop as it need to be calibrated correctly I think it only taps into a couple of wires and running the wires is something left to the experts (most of the front and side interior panels were removed for the install)

Hope this helps.

You could always sue her in court. With the video it should be easy.

I would track down the supervising officer of the cop who would not look at your video, as that was evidence and then file a formal complaint with the police station the cop works at and then follow up with another complaint with the police headquarters. In NY I once had a police officer completely tailgate me for 2 blocks. I got the car number and filed a complaint right away when I got home and within 2 hours I got a call from the commanding officer.

If a police officer does not do their job, file a complaint and follow up.

Yes, it's constant, not switched. My dashcam is always on with parking mode/motion sensing.

Also, the rest of the OBDII port is neutered... does nothing other than supply +12v power. It's included because "that's the law".

When I got my Tesla 15 months ago and read on the forums that it had the OBD II "because it's the law" I thought how absurd, but quickly came to the same realization that it's super handy to have some easily accessible +12vdc on a connector that is likely easily sourced, and then decided it was a good feature for those who had a reason or need for easy access to power.

Also to note, there are many, many OBD II toys that plug into that port including some low cost GPS trackers which only need the power from that connector, meaning that any car you own can be quickly and easily fitted with GPS tracking and a person could outfit a car in less than a minute, and it's easily reversible. If you have many cars, or employees, or kids, whatever, taking a fleet management approach to vehicle asset tracking is made trivial with one of those OBD II GPS solutions.

Does anyone know the maximum current the OBD II wiring supports? Has anyone taken a look to see if it's fused or if the gauge of the wire can be determined, or if there is a Tesla tech note about use of it?