Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke peeling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had mine replaced today and asked the tech if this was an updated yoke. He could only tell me it was the 3rd revision compared to mine which was a 2021 Nov build. Bottom line is they have made at least 3 changes in less than 2 years.
Can you see or ask in the app what the part number was? It may also be on your invoice available from the app. That is the only definitive way to tell which version it is.

On my invoice it states Yoke Steering Wheel Assembly PUR (1622612-00-H). I believe this is the older version and most likely the letter i version will be the new non peel type. Guess I will be have another service call in a couple of years.

Also noticed I now have haptic feedback when using any button on the yoke which was either non functional or an added feature later on. I have an early 2022 build.

Last edited:
Agree - they need to get it right this time. Never heard of any other car mfg having this issue and I have never had it on any of the numerous cars I have owned. Just silly and embarrassing for Tesla. And why does it take so long for the new one to come out?
Eh. I've had a few others that had issues with the coverings on wheels and shifter knobs. It's not a crazy high volume item for them either so likely took a long time to get through supply chain

My ticket was canceled few weeks ago and was told to resubmit in Nov for replacement. I hope the horn will be in the center also. Elon said in March 22, that all Nov 21+ builds would be activated via update. Still haven't seen anything about that.. For such a safety issue, I'm baffled Tesla is neglecting this.

• Funny
Reactions: doubleshot
My ticket was canceled few weeks ago and was told to resubmit in Nov for replacement. I hope the horn will be in the center also. Elon said in March 22, that all Nov 21+ builds would be activated via update. Still haven't seen anything about that.. For such a safety issue, I'm baffled Tesla is neglecting this.
I went ahead and had mine replaced yesterday with the h version. They said I could get the new one when it came out, but they said it was originally planned for August, then moved to September, October, and now November. Service said they wouldn't be shocked if it slipped again, so they sent mobile tech to replace and said they would annotate my account to get the new one whenever it came out.

I asked about changing the horn location and they said, looking at the part number it's impossible to tell, but there's been no indication that they planned to change the horn location.

Anyone have any idea what the new version looks like? Is there a design change or just better material?
I have an Oct build coming in next week with the yoke, I hope to get the V2 if there such a thing.
The newest version isn't out until November, but the last 3 version look identical. There's no reason to believe they changed the look at all. You will likely get the 3rd revision, that I just received, which still peels, but not as quick. It's certainly different material than the one that came with my 22 MS.

Anyone have any idea what the new version looks like? Is there a design change or just better material?
I have an Oct build coming in next week with the yoke, I hope to get the V2 if there such a thing.
You'll still be able to replace under warranty. Adding to the info already posted, my appointment for replacement this morning was just canceled because it is not the new revision. November was what was communicated to me as well.

Reactions: zoomer0056
The newest version isn't out until November, but the last 3 version look identical. There's no reason to believe they changed the look at all. You will likely get the 3rd revision, that I just received, which still peels, but not as quick. It's certainly different material than the one that came with my 22 MS.
Curious (and lazy to read the full thread) do the ones with repeat issues use the heated wheel option often? Curious if the wires are just to close to surface.

Curious (and lazy to read the full thread) do the ones with repeat issues use the heated wheel option often? Curious if the wires are just to close to surface.
I never use the heated wheel (I did once in 30k miles), but the tech thinks it's the sun that melts the wheel. They typically start at the tips, but some have issues on the sides. I've never seen the issue at the bottom of the wheel. I've seen a piece ripped off, but not the melting which causes the peeling.