Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke peeling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eh. I've had a few others that had issues with the coverings on wheels and shifter knobs. It's not a crazy high volume item for them either so likely took a long time to get through supply chain

Sure - I had an GMC where the hvac buttons wore right off. This really isn’t that unusual.

And to your point, it’s probably taking so long so they can burn through inventory. I mean, if I had 50,000 of these things in a warehouse, I’d try to use ‘em up too.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Curious (and lazy to read the full thread) do the ones with repeat issues use the heated wheel option often? Curious if the wires are just to close to surface.
My yoke peel on my X is almost certainly due to how I rotate the yoke in low speed situations with my palm pressure. I've never used the heated steering yoke option. FYI, it started peeling at about 12,000 miles, and my X was one of the first deliveries with the yoke.

When I was at the service center about a month ago, they said I could get one free warrantee replacement, and recommended I wait until October (now November I guess) to get the replacement one that won't peel, or at least is made better.

Other than the peeling, my only issue with the yoke is that I too often activate the voice command button by accident. Are those buttons (right side) harder to accidentally activate with the latest yoke?

Don’t want to start yet another yoke vs wheel argument, it I’ll be asking for another yoke when I get it replaced. Why did you switch to the wheel, and do you like it better now that you’ve gone from wheel to yoke to wheel?

Same here - don’t want to rehash what’s been discussed a million times but I found the yoke uncomfortable for local driving. Much happier with a round wheel. My hand placement habits after decades of driving aren’t changing. Gave it a fair 6 months and just never developed a like for it.

Highways were fine. Local driving I never felt I had the same control I do with a wheel.

Personal preference. It works for some people - I’m just not one of them.

Getting it replaced today Thursday. Will report back which version it is. There was an option to go w round steering wheel.

Do they replace the button section too or just the yoke and reinstall the buttons? Mine has 30k and buttons area has some wear in them.

Tia,

Ian B
the whole unit gets replaced sans the airbag, so, yes new buttons

I appear to have the same issue with my 22 LR 17k miles. I was planning on switching to the round steering wheel in a month or so, does anyone know if they'll prorate it since I do have the defect or do i have to switch out to a new yoke and then buy the normal wheel for $700?

I appear to have the same issue with my 22 LR 17k miles. I was planning on switching to the round steering wheel in a month or so, does anyone know if they'll prorate it since I do have the defect or do i have to switch out to a new yoke and then buy the normal wheel for $700?
You have the option to get yoke or round as the warrantied free replacement.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I requested to get my yoke replaced and they messaged me that they are now pushing the date to next year first quarter. I been waiting since June to get it replaced and was told it should be available in October. Can I just ask to get an old version Yoke to be installed since mine is really bad? I don’t want the full steering wheel.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I requested to get my yoke replaced and they messaged me that they are now pushing the date to next year first quarter. I been waiting since June to get it replaced and was told it should be available in October. Can I just ask to get an old version Yoke to be installed since mine is really bad? I don’t want the full steering wheel.
My mobile tech let me do that. I had it replaced a few weeks ago and it's much better material. They said they would annotate my account and I could get the new wheel when it released, but they also said it had already slipped 3 times and knowing Tesla would slip again.

Reactions: stok1232
I went ahead and had mine replaced yesterday with the h version. They said I could get the new one when it came out, but they said it was originally planned for August, then moved to September, October, and now November. Service said they wouldn't be shocked if it slipped again, so they sent mobile tech to replace and said they would annotate my account to get the new one whenever it came out.

I asked about changing the horn location and they said, looking at the part number it's impossible to tell, but there's been no indication that they planned to change the horn location.
This is when I did it. Sounds like he was correct.