Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke peeling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I requested to get my yoke replaced and they messaged me that they are now pushing the date to next year first quarter. I been waiting since June to get it replaced and was told it should be available in October. Can I just ask to get an old version Yoke to be installed since mine is really bad? I don’t want the full steering wheel.
I was told Tesla would only replace the wheel/yoke once under warrantee, so it would be better to wait for the new version. Is this not the case anymore?

How quickly are you all getting peeling on the yoke? I’m almost 1.5 years and 6k miles with no unusual wear. But if it means i can get a real wheel without the silly $700 charge I’ll take peeling now
I think I started seeing peeling around 10,000 miles. For me it really wasn’t due to time, it was due to wear (so more miles dependent), as I routinely press my palm into the same spot when making large slow speed turns like when backing into/out of places.

I was told Tesla would only replace the wheel/yoke once under warrantee, so it would be better to wait for the new version. Is this not the case anymore?
Same here. Also wouldn't replace with a wheel and tried to charge me $1,000 for the replacement even though they told me it would be a warrantied swap through their stupid service messaging system in the app. I am stuck waiting for the "updated" yoke.

• Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf
My local tech looked into yoke revisions for the S, and there are A LOT—at least 9. As of writing this, he says the latest one is 'H,' but the material is NOT NEW. It is the same as the previous revisions. He checked this by inputting the VIN of an S delivered that day, and luckily it had the 'H' revision installed. He compared it to an 'E' revision yoke from inventory.

He also warned that the S steering wheel is made of the exact same material as the Yoke and that it would likely have similar peeling issues. It is not the same material as in pre-2021 S.

There's typically a charge to show how much it is and then they clear it as warranty.
Sadly I have been playing the Tesla game for a long time and know this/have experienced that previously. In the situation that I am describing, the service person came and got me in the waiting room of the service center and told me that they were about to replace the peeling yoke with a round wheel but that it was be $1,000 or something and needed my approval. I showed him the chat in the app I had with someone there that guaranteed me it would be a warrantied replacement. He said it didn't matter what someone said through the chat in the app, today he cannot replace a yoke with a round wheel under warranty.

This is one of the many reasons that this is my last Tesla. I am tired of being treated with contempt after spending $$$ with this company for so many years.

Sadly I have been playing the Tesla game for a long time and know this/have experienced that previously. In the situation that I am describing, the service person came and got me in the waiting room of the service center and told me that they were about to replace the peeling yoke with a round wheel but that it was be $1,000 or something and needed my approval. I showed him the chat in the app I had with someone there that guaranteed me it would be a warrantied replacement. He said it didn't matter what someone said through the chat in the app, today he cannot replace a yoke with a round wheel under warranty.

This is one of the many reasons that this is my last Tesla. I am tired of being treated with contempt after spending $$$ with this company for so many years.
In general they Will replace the damaged part with a same replacement. You wanted a Different round wheel so that is a preference change not a repair warranty. I would bet they would have put a new Yoke on as originally equipped and purchased.

Reactions: Cosmacelf