Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke peeling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As @uscbucsfan says below you, that is exactly what happened to me yesterday. Closer service center said no replacement wheel under warranty for my peeling yoke. They said Tesla doesn't do this for anyone and anyone that says differently on owner's groups/the internet is lying. I make an appt with a different service center 2 hours away and they instantly agree to replace my peeling yoke with a round wheel under warranty.

Each service center manager has a pretty wide latitude as far as I can tell ... Some err on the side of the customer, and some on the side of the business. We all know, at the end of the day, which is right. And it's not the ones that just make stuff up.

Reactions: zoomer0056
As @uscbucsfan says below you, that is exactly what happened to me yesterday. Closer service center said no replacement wheel under warranty for my peeling yoke. They said Tesla doesn't do this for anyone and anyone that says differently on owner's groups/the internet is lying. I make an appt with a different service center 2 hours away and they instantly agree to replace my peeling yoke with a round wheel under warranty.
That’s awesome then. Glad you found a more reasonable service center.

Update: So I just got the new Yoke installed. Seems to feel decent. almost the same, but maybe a little smoother material. buttons feel slightly better than original yoke (Fall of 2021 build).

One thing to note, i drove away, and i had to go right back. heater didn't work, no haptic feedback, lights were not working properly for the buttons, and the fast forward was not working right. They simply did a firmware update for the VIN to recognize the new yoke. and all was fixed. So maybe check that before you leave to make sure those things are working. the heater was the dead givaway.

It took less than 20 minutes for them to perform this swap.

Reactions: chrisdh79
Update: So I just got the new Yoke installed. Seems to feel decent. almost the same, but maybe a little smoother material. buttons feel slightly better than original yoke (Fall of 2021 build).

One thing to note, i drove away, and i had to go right back. heater didn't work, no haptic feedback, lights were not working properly for the buttons, and the fast forward was not working right. They simply did a firmware update for the VIN to recognize the new yoke. and all was fixed. So maybe check that before you leave to make sure those things are working. the heater was the dead givaway.

It took less than 20 minutes for them to perform this swap.
Good advice. What is the yoke version?

As of now is there any way to get the wheel retrofit from yoke (no peeling) without the $700 charge?

If there were, why would they sell it as a package then?

I'm frankly even surprised they let folks swap out for damaged yokes, simply *because* it's a salable item.

And yes, I'm someone who paid for the wheel swap AND had a damaged yoke. I don't regret it - very happy with the wheel - but surprised they offer a $0 path for the same thing.

I rescheduled a yoke replacement mobile service.
Screenshot_20231108_141330_Gallery.jpg

Why wait for something that may come out at some unreliable hearsay date? They say early 2024 then again they said had said Aug 2023 which never happened. Mobile service came and it was done in 10 minutes. If or when it peels again in the next 2 years assuming I still own the car, I will have it replaced again. This is how little mine was affected when I had it done, nothing like some of those plucked chickens I have seen posted.

IMG_2946.jpg

Reactions: yerEVan and DBV1
Why wait for something that may come out at some unreliable hearsay date? They say early 2024 then again they said had said Aug 2023 which never happened. Mobile service came and it was done in 10 minutes. If or when it peels again in the next 2 years assuming I still own the car, I will have it replaced again. This is how little mine was affected when I had it done, nothing like some of those plucked chickens I have seen posted.

View attachment 989204
Mine looks just like that ... I'll wait.

How tightly are you all gripping the yoke? I’ve got zero peeling on mine but I’m very light on it. Anyways, i gave in and ordered the wheel because the yoke simply is a compromise in its current implementation. I wanted to get a nicer aftermarket wheel but I’ve read that the yoke airbag won’t deploy correctly with a wheel. If true that’s a massive liability for companies selling wheels and stating to reuse yoke airbag

How tightly are you all gripping the yoke? I’ve got zero peeling on mine but I’m very light on it. Anyways, i gave in and ordered the wheel because the yoke simply is a compromise in its current implementation. I wanted to get a nicer aftermarket wheel but I’ve read that the yoke airbag won’t deploy correctly with a wheel. If true that’s a massive liability for companies selling wheels and stating to reuse yoke airbag
Has nothing to do with grip. The yoke is literally melting from the sun.

As an update, I am now the proud owner of a steering wheel replaced under warranty due to my yoke peeling. I cannot overstate how much better this makes the driving experience on anything but straight ahead interstate driving. I underestimated the impact it would have on driving the car as it is so much more enjoyable now to be able to maneuver the car with an honest to goodness steering wheel and a nicely designed one at that. I am elated.

Attachments

• PXL_20231108_182355164.jpg
    PXL_20231108_182355164.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 30
As an update, I am now the proud owner of a steering wheel replaced under warranty due to my yoke peeling. I cannot overstate how much better this makes the driving experience on anything but straight ahead interstate driving. I underestimated the impact it would have on driving the car as it is so much more enjoyable now to be able to maneuver the car with an honest to goodness steering wheel and a nicely designed one at that. I am elated.
You’re not wrong. Just wish I could see all the driver’s display with a wheel, and I’d switch. The other concern is that hand placement is different from the yoke and it’s easier to use the turn signals with the yoke. Didn’t see that one coming when I was testing the wheel out at Tesla.