Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke steering confirmed variable-ratio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confirmed in the new Owner's Manual pg 203!

1.jpg

Reactions: Spacep0d
You're picture is broken but I saw it already and it verifies variable but only based on speed. Speculation was that it would be varied based on degree of turn making it not need to turn more than once from lock to lock. The problem with a yoke is that if you ever turn past about a half rotation or so you'll start to be looking for changing your hand position to avoid crossing up your arms which is less-than-ideal. Looks like that same section of the owner's manual you referred to also says it's 2.3 turns lock-to-lock which confirms exactly what people feared when it comes to yoke steering wheels. I guess time will tell but, for me at least, the improved view of the IC isn't worth the trade-off of potential safety concerns when making tighter turns around town. Kind of a head scratcher from the company who recently threw away all form in favor of function on the new Cybertruck.

Do pre-plaid Tesla's have speed variable steering? Either way, the yoke doesn't seem to function as some had hoped. It matches the steering activity shown in CT videos.

Personally, this yoke steering wheel and removal of conventional stalks will probably ensure my current car is the last new Model S (or X) I'll buy. I really prefer a standard round steering wheel and having stalks at the usual, intuitive locations.

if you watch one of the youtubers who is 1/25 he almost did it full 3 turns
That's one of the things Brooks from Drag Times points out in his launch party video. He sits in the seat and actually turns the wheel from lock to lock and it looks incredibly labored and cumbersome and that's at a complete stop. I can't imagine this being a good idea at all in use and it seems like an absolute nightmare to use in cities.

I won't be buying one and after a few fiery low-speed accidents because people weren't properly able to navigate a typical 90deg turn they may change their mind on this stupid yoke idea. I really didn't envision this making it to production but... here we are.

I won't own one of these until I can put a conventional circular wheel on it. I can live with the lack of stalks which seems equally terrible of an idea but at least the safety implications aren't as immediately apparent to anyone who's even driven an automobile anywhere other than a straight line before.

I'm continually amazed at the delta between the insanely great ideas Tesla has implemented juxtaposed to the incredibly asinine ideas they've implemented during this types of events.

Last edited:
Add on the indicators being buttons, thats going to be fun. We have a lot of roundabouts in the UK where you might signal right, start driving around the round about with a lot of right hand lock and then as you approach your exist switch to indicating left and swing the lock to left. (we drive left, if it was on the right imagine all those directions flipped). Today you might let the steering wheel self centre while flicking the indicator which you just won't be able to do.

The combination of yoke and indicators is certainly going to be a test.

Well it must not be that dangerous to use, as obviously it passed regulatory requirements with the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety standards, I wonder what kind of testing it had to undergoe to pass and get approval, and if Tesla needs to do this in each country before sales are permitted? Anyone familiar with this process?

Add on the indicators being buttons, thats going to be fun. We have a lot of roundabouts in the UK where you might signal right, start driving around the round about with a lot of right hand lock and then as you approach your exist switch to indicating left and swing the lock to left. (we drive left, if it was on the right imagine all those directions flipped). Today you might let the steering wheel self centre while flicking the indicator which you just won't be able to do.

The combination of yoke and indicators is certainly going to be a test.
Elon did say the car will read your mind, and know if you want to change lanes or not. ;)

Actually this level of automation kind of scares me; I want to be in control, and make the decisions, I don't want to car to "predict" the functions of the controls for me.

Maybe I want to move backwards closer to the wall in my garage when I first get in the vehicle, instead of driving forward out of the garage, will it even let me?

Elon did say the car will read your mind, and know if you want to change lanes or not. ;)

Actually this level of automation kind of scares me; I want to be in control, and make the decisions, I don't want to car to "predict" the functions of the controls for me.

Maybe I want to move backwards closer to the wall in my garage when I first get in the vehicle, instead of driving forward out of the garage, will it even let me?
Don't think thats a problem. They've even got physical buttons for drive, reverse etc. Maybe thats a mandatory thing