Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke vs Steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just placed an order for a new 2023 MS Standard, Blue and cream interior.

Interested to hear real experiences and feedback on the Yoke vs Steering. Most interested to hear from those who tried the Yoke already, than those without real or long-term experience. Please provide a non-biased feedback : ). I can still edit my order to either yoke/steering.

NOTE: I am an autopilot type of a guy 99% of the time on highways, and 60-70% in-town.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ethan Ryczek
First time yoker who initially thought round wheel was clear choice.

Yoke all day. Makes the Plaid feel not ordinary. I don’t canyon carve my MSP. More comfortable to hold hwy driving with the much longer flat bottom handle.

Steering wheel rather staid in comparison.

Look good, feel good.

Reactions: CTruck_BMW
Yoke and steering wheel are different experiences. Some good, some bad.

Yoke looks really cool, gives you a better view of your displays and additional leg room underneath. It is super easy to rest your hand on multiple portions of the yoke for comfortable highway driving in manual or Autopilot modes.

Traditional round wheel feels better for hand over hand maneuvers. Most have gotten used to driving this way and will find it comfortable and familiar around town. Nice to have a choice.

2ndary issues will be from the lack of stalks and turn signal levers. Need to get used to using tactile buttons on the wheel spokes as well as on the display for forward/reverse.

No right or wrong answer, but more of a preference.

Ultimate for me would be a variable ratio steering system, where there is little need for hand over hand to effect a turn.

For me, 90% of the time I would prefer using the yoke. About 10% of the time I would rather have a conventional round wheel.

Perhaps if you spend most of your time driving in slow Urban areas, where you make lots of u-turns, turns in parking lots or 3 point turns, you may like the round wheel better. Out on the open highway, the Yoke is far better.

Love the yoke and this is my first Tesla. I'm not a Tesla fan bois and would like anything they offered. For reasons stated like a better view of the dash and driving something different makes me like it. Now, if I was going to track the car then I would want the conventional steering wheel.

Honestly first few days was not a big fan awkward fat but in one week I got use to it no regrets

Only thing I hate is the buttrons so hard to get use to especially when you looking for horn when you need it or high beam

Otherwise I like it and no regrets

I’ve had 2 years with yoke and 8 before that with normal Tesla wheel. The dash screen visibility with yoke is nice, but not worth the clunky shape and awkward handling. Specifically, if you like to really drive the round wheel offers better control. And at slow speeds in parking lots, reversing and with sharp turns you can’t let yoke slide through hands in returning to forward position. Hand over hand turns with the yoke are annoying. Also, the yoke corners extend out quite a bit and can get caught on knees if you don’t position it and the seat just right.

However I would prefer the yoke for typical freeway cruising and Autopilot only. So it really depends on what driving experience you value most.

PS, while the yoke is functional and I got use to it, the haptic buttons for turn signals and horn in particular are a hot mess.

Reactions: dmurphy
Bought my S with a yoke. Counted the minutes until I could replace it with a wheel.

Hate the design of it - I’ll admit it’s comfy cruising on the highway, but that’s it for positives for me.

It’s more awkward to drive, offers worse turning radiuses and is an abject nightmare for quick maneuvers like k-turns and even parallel parking. At its very best, it’s as-good-as a wheel. Most things are significantly worse. The only thing it does better than the wheel is visibility of the top of the instrument panel. Not a big deal.

I’ve finally started to love my S since replacing it…. Still think the turn signal button thing is a mistake but that I can live with. The yoke, no — without a round wheel, I would’ve sold the car by now and taken a huge loss. I hate it *that* much.

Reactions: scrapps
Bought my S with a yoke. Counted the minutes until I could replace it with a wheel.

Hate the design of it - I’ll admit it’s comfy cruising on the highway, but that’s it for positives for me.

It’s more awkward to drive, offers worse turning radiuses and is an abject nightmare for quick maneuvers like k-turns and even parallel parking.

I’ve finally started to love my S since replacing it…. Still think the turn signal button thing is a mistake but that I can live with. The yoke, no — without a round wheel, I would’ve sold the car by now and taken a huge loss. I hate it *that* much.
When will Tesla understand majority of people want to have normal stalks back. How much will this increase the cost of making? Too much to accept they had it wrong??

Reactions: KJD
My opinion: the steering wheel is much better. It's not even close.

1. The functionality of the yoke is poor except when driving straight. It's fine to rest your hands on the sides when driving straight, but you can do that with a steering wheel, too, and better, because you can hook your thumbs around the ring, whereas on the yoke there's just a little knob that doesn't give you a good gip. The yoke is very awkward to turn it in all situations, and it's easy for it to slip out of your hand or require weird hand movements because of the rectangular shape. The wheel is much, much better in that regard and gives you much more control. One handed turns are effortless with the wheel and nonexistent with the yoke.

2. The quality of the materials on the yoke is poor, contrasted to an aftermarket steering wheel with leather and carbon fiber like mine. It feels nice in the hand, and feels very premium compared to the yoke. The yoke tends to peel in the areas that get most use, something that is much less likely to be an issue on even the stock wheel since you won't have the pressure areas. That's really a major embarrassment on a $120K car. Tesla will give you one replacement, some I think have gotten more, others have been refused further replacements. But that just shouldn't happen, so I'm surprised people make excuses for it.

3. The wheel looks much, much better. Not just the materials, but the overall appearance. The yoke just looks odd to me, especially with the dash setup which is very angular and flat. The wheel balances out the look of the interior much more.

4. People comment on visibility of the screen, but my wheel doesn't block the screen at all, and actually helps visibility on the center screen since the wheel diameter is slightly smaller. The top of the rim covers the dash cowl, which isn't an issue, and the upper part of the wheel base covers the view of the awkward dash/steering rack transition, so that's a plus. With the yoke, you're looking right at that weird gap, which looks unfinished.

They also should definitely bring back the turn signal stalks or at the very least make the left turn signal on the left and the right turn signal on the right and have them larger and more pronounced. The buttons are frequently tough to find and easily missed in a hurry. There's no debate here, the stalks are more effective and easier to activate, but having more pronounced buttons on the correct side would work, too. Ferrari did this right, Tesla did not.

If I tracked my Model S Plaid Tesla, I would have ordered the round wheel, but I don’t.

The yoke took me a few hours to become accustomed to, and after that, it was most enjoyable. I would say that my hand slips off the wheel in a turn maybe once a month these days, and this is after four months of driving. Once you learn how to drive with the yoke, driving a yoke or a round wheel is unlikely to be significantly different in my opinion.

The yoke has better visibility
The yoke looks cooler and people who ride with me the first time say that it reminds them of being in a space ship.

The steering wheel is better on a track, guaranteed. I tracked my Porsche 911 and there is no way I would prefer the yoke on a track.

So… for me, here is the decision:

If you track your car more than a few times a year, get the round wheel, if not, get the yoke.

By the way, you can ignore the people on YouTube who make driving with the yoke look like a three year old trying to do partial differential equations. They are intentionally making driving with a yoke look difficult. I will never forget the idiot who was exaggerating a hand over hand motion on the yoke to recenter it after a turn when all they needed to do was let the yoke slip through their hands, just like a round wheel. I am certainly glad I ignored that YouTuber.

Joe

Reactions: Beandoc
I prefer the wheel. Mine came with a yoke, and yes I you get used to it, but there were times when I really didn't like it. Driving to the mountains especially in the winter, when you are taking a tight turn, I was never comfortable with doing hand over hand with yoke. In the event the car stepped out, it got much scarier, since the yoke requires you to take one had completely off when making big turns. All this would be solved with variable steering ratio like Lexus has. One handed driving is much more comfortable with wheel when it comes to turning, either on the street or if you need to do "wax on/wax off" in tight areas (like my garage and ally). The wheel may very slightly obscure the display, but nothing I have found significant. I don't track my car, but feel much more secure with the wheel for "spirited" driving. Once I got my OEM, it made the car much more comfortable and fun for me, and that was after a 1.5 years with the yoke

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Round steering wheel all the way. Yoke looks cool and can get used to, but whenever I start to do a sharp turn or even U turn, it gets really annoying.
Tried to drive around mountain road in a little more aggressive fashion, Yoke just doesn't feel right and outright dangerous.

Definitely prefer the yoke - yeah, I still occasionally tag the wrong turn signal button, but it's rarer and rarer for that to happen. Biggest transition was hand-over-hand turns but that problem went away once I started using the undersides of the yoke crossbars more effectively.

And lightly resting either hand on the lower yoke crossbar keeps FSD happy for hours...

So I actually test drove the Yoke for 30 min; it was fine but i was not sure how long it will take to get used to it.

I was just watching this video, and liked how his muscle memory is tunes to also do the slip-trick using the Yoke (see minute 3:14):

Last edited: