Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke steering confirmed variable-ratio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not buying a six-figure-car and then having custom steering wheels or custom seats made. That's fine that that's something you enjoy doing not me. Yes, that is a deal breaker for me as well. From the overwhelming posts I'm reading online I'm not alone either.

Way to go Tesla! You took a vehicle that admittedly caters to the older buying community and then proceeded to replace possibly the most important interface item (until FSD is actually a thing) with something that is needlessly futuristic and potentially dangerous. These all sound like attributes the older community looks for and covets. Yeah, that will move more units. ROFL

Ok, I thought maybe it wasn't the yoke steering wheel that was really stopping you from buying the car. If it was, you wouldn't take that stance. You just feel deeply wronged that Tesla did something you don't like. I get it. You're hurt and you need to heal.

Ok, I thought maybe it wasn't the yoke steering wheel that was really stopping you from buying the car. If it was, you wouldn't take that stance. You just feel deeply wronged that Tesla did something you don't like. I get it. You're hurt and you need to heal.
What are you talking about hurt? I'm not rewarding a stupid decision on a yoke steering wheel any more than I'm rewarding a car manufacturer that chooses to use internal combustion over EV. It is only one con, right?

Reactions: lardlad00
Not necessarily; it could mean that you have finer control when the wheel is nearer to straight and coarser control when turning.
Except that it isn't. That was the speculation previously to avoid having to fully rotate the yoke (which is the PROPER way to implement a yoke) but it's now confirmed you'll have to turn it 2.33 turns from lock to lock.this is dangerous & a stupid choice from an engineering standpoint.

Source: I've actually driven vehicles designed from the ground up for a yoke (unlike most here speculating) on a closed course & you physically can't fully rotate the yoke. If you had to, it would be stupid dangerous.

Just not sure there was a problem that needed solving as it relates to steering wheels…
Reminds me of “new” Coca Cola back in the day…

Sometimes it’s ok to leave what’s working..alone.
Bingo. Classic case of an answer looking for a question.

To me, a round steering wheel is the most efficient & safest way to accomplish the required task. That's why it's been the way.

It's a lot like saying "you know what? I know round wheels & tires have been round for centuries but... What if they were square instead? How cool would that look?!" The actually doing it regardless of how horrible the function was.

Just not sure there was a problem that needed solving as it relates to steering wheels…
Reminds me of “new” Coca Cola back in the day…

Sometimes it’s ok to leave what’s working..alone.
Whether you agree or not, but the reason is quite obvious to anyone sitting in the car. You no longer have the top half of the wheel in the way of your view of the dash. I'm sure a lot of people have experienced this frustration and wish the top half of the wheel is not in the way (and in many cars, no matter how you adjust it, it's impossible to get the wheel completely out of the way; my old ICE car was like this, the steps between the adjustments does not allow a clear view of the dash). And the bottom being square makes entry easier (a lot of cars have square bottom wheels also, so Tesla is not a pioneer in this).

So it just depends on your priorities. For people that don't have to make a lot of u-turns, they may not care much about having to do a full rotation, and they'll enjoy the advantages. Personally, I like a regular wheel better (plus I have a Model 3, so I don't have a screen in front I need/want to see), but I'm not going to say there are zero advantages to the yoke steering wheel.

Last edited:
Whether you agree or not, but the reason is quite obvious to anyone sitting in the car. You no longer have the top half of the wheel in the way of your view of the dash. I'm sure a lot of people have experienced this frustration and wish the top half of the wheel is not in the way (and in many cars, no matter how you adjust it, it's impossible to get the wheel completely out of the way; my old ICE car was like the, the steps between the adjustments does not allow a clear view of the dash). And the bottom being square makes entry easier (a lot of cars have square bottom wheels also, so Tesla is not a pioneer in this).

So it just depends on your priorities. For people that don't have to make a lot of u-turns, they may not care much about having to do a full rotation, and they'll enjoy the advantages. Personally, I like a regular wheel better (plus I have a Model 3, so I don't have a screen in front I need/want to see), but I'm not going to say there are zero advantages to the yoke steering wheel.
Impossible? Hardly. I have no issue at all adjusting an adjustable steering wheel to not obstruct the IC.

Acting like "everyone" or even a majority of people can't properly adjust a fully adjustable steering wheel to avoid obstructing the IC to justify looping the top half off is kind of silly.

In terms of safety this would be akin to saying that you can't see through the a pillar B pillar or door so let's just make the whole car out of glass for easier visibility. Sure, you can see outward better but the safety implications are far worse than a 2% obstruction in outward view.

It has absolutely nothing to do with how many u-turns somebody does either. Next time you're in your car go drive around town and look at how many times you turn your steering wheel more than 15-20%.

Reactions: AMPd
Impossible? Hardly. I have no issue at all adjusting an adjustable steering wheel to not obstruct the IC.

Acting like "everyone" or even a majority of people can't properly adjust a fully adjustable steering wheel to avoid obstructing the IC to justify looping the top half off is kind of silly.
I didn't say "everyone" or even a "majority", I said "lots" and "many". That's the problem with people discussing things here, they think things must apply to "everyone" and fail to see the perspective of other people. You can argue that there should be a choice between the two options, but it's not fair to completely write off the advantages of the yoke steering wheel for some people.

In my old car (an old Camry from the 90s) the adjustment of the steering wheel is not continuously variable, there are certain clicks you can adjust it to, and at my seating height (height not adjustable), the two "best" positions do not allow for an unobstructed view of the dashboard.

Having the top half gone eliminates that concern and even allows usage of a wider screen without any obstruction, which is getting more popular. I see some of the high end cars like the EQS have continuous screens that go across, and then the top of of the wheel intersects it in the production version, while the concepts show a yoke-like steering wheel that actually takes advantage of that continuous design.
In terms of safety this would be akin to saying that you can't see through the a pillar B pillar or door so let's just make the whole car out of glass for easier visibility. Sure, you can see outward better but the safety implications are far worse than a 2% obstruction in outward view.
I don't really buy that analogy (yet to be demonstrated that the reduction to safety is statistically significant), but think of convertibles (no b-pillar). You lose a massive amount of structural rigidity (which manufacturers have to make up for usually by strengthening other areas, which adds lots of weight, but you still end up with significantly less), not to mention the risks during rollovers (especially for the cars without those fancy pop-up roll bars). Yet plenty of people love them and the insurance institutes say statistically they aren't any more dangerous.
It has absolutely nothing to do with how many u-turns somebody does either. Next time you're in your car go drive around town and look at how many times you turn your steering wheel more than 15-20%.
I'm not saying that you won't occasionally turn a full rotation in daily driving, just that the most frustration you may feel with this design is in u-turns (and things like 3 point turns).
Someone hacked off a Model Y steering wheel just to see what happens and it doesn't seem like that big a deal to me, even when making hair-pin turns (and that wheel is not variable, we have yet to see what this difference means in the Model S).

Last edited:
Skip the IC, put in a huge 3d HUD, keep the wheel. That would be real innovation.

Or do as Peugeot, elevate and elongate the IC slightly, then put in a smaller, slightly oval wheel.

I also believe they should update the layout in the IC, too much useless graphics there.
I’m not sure innovation is the right term, my 2008 bmw has a heads up display.

Reactions: gearchruncher
I didn't say "everyone" or even a "majority", I said "lots" and "many". That's the problem with people discussing things here, they think things must apply to "everyone" and fail to see the perspective of other people. You can argue that there should be a choice between the two options, but it's not fair to completely write off the advantages of the yoke steering wheel for some people.

That's the problem? Glad you got it all figured out.

Never mind the simple fact that having a yoke wheel and ONLY a yoke wheel literally means that EVERYONE would have to have it.

Nice strawman though.

In my old car (an old Camry from the 90s) the adjustment of the steering wheel is not continuously variable, there are certain clicks you can adjust it to, and at my seating height (height not adjustable), the two "best" positions do not allow for an unobstructed view of the dashboard.

If we were talking about Toyota putting a yoke steering wheel in your 90's Camry this may be a valid point.

Besides, if there were all about unobstructed visibility Tesla would have a HUD by now just like every other luxury brand or they would pioneer some sort of cool new version of HUD that delivered more info in a better format. It's not. There is zero functional reason to have a yoke steering wheel other than it "looks cool and futuristic" which many think looks "stupid and childish" just like that flying door wedge Cybertruck.

Having the top half gone eliminates that concern and even allows usage of a wider screen without any obstruction, which is getting more popular. I see some of the high end cars like the EQS have continuous screens that go across, and then the top of of the wheel intersects it in the production version, while the concepts show a yoke-like steering wheel that actually takes advantage of that continuous design.

Continues screens are more important than being able to safely navigate a city street or parking lot? Okay then.

I don't really buy that analogy (yet to be demonstrated that the reduction to safety is statistically significant), but think of convertibles (no b-pillar). You lose a massive amount of structural rigidity (which manufacturers have to make up for usually by strengthening other areas, which adds lots of weight, but you still end up with significantly less), not to mention the risks during rollovers (especially for the cars without those fancy pop-up roll bars). Yet plenty of people love them and the insurance institutes say statistically they aren't any more dangerous.

That was the whole point. Sacrificing safety for slightly improved visibility that is questionably even an step up is not a sacrifice worth making. That's for coming along the journey.

I'm not saying that you won't occasionally turn a full rotation in daily driving, just that the most frustration you may feel with this design is in u-turns (and things like 3 point turns).
Someone hacked off a Model Y steering wheel just to see what happens and it doesn't seem like that big a deal to me, even when making hair-pin turns (and that wheel is not variable, we have yet to see what this difference means in the Model S).

That's the problem... you see it as "frustration while doing the occasional U-Turn" which isn't the issue. Your delusional idea of how a yoke will and should work is the problem. You will REGULARLY have to cross your arms up and try to find a section of the yoke as you turn multiple times in traffic trying to do what would otherwise be a simple 90-degree left-hand turn. Do you never make 90-degree turns?

That's one of the things Brooks from Drag Times points out in his launch party video. He sits in the seat and actually turns the wheel from lock to lock and it looks incredibly labored and cumbersome and that's at a complete stop. I can't imagine this being a good idea at all in use and it seems like an absolute nightmare to use in cities.

I won't be buying one and after a few fiery low-speed accidents because people weren't properly able to navigate a typical 90deg turn they may change their mind on this stupid yoke idea. I really didn't envision this making it to production but... here we are.

I won't own one of these until I can put a conventional circular wheel on it. I can live with the lack of stalks which seems equally terrible of an idea but at least the safety implications aren't as immediately apparent to anyone who's even driven an automobile anywhere other than a straight line before.

I'm continually amazed at the delta between the insanely great ideas Tesla has implemented juxtaposed to the incredibly asinine ideas they've implemented during this types of events.
"I'm continually amazed at the delta between the insanely great ideas Tesla has implemented juxtaposed to the incredibly asinine ideas they've implemented during this types of events."

I'm not surprised. It's like political ideologies: taking what's old and failed and somehow reinventing the wheel as something novel and viable, pun intended.

Reactions: Wol747
Coming soon to the tesla store:

1623677557026.png

Drove my 2015 to work today using only the bottom portion of the steering wheel (I know, not an exact experiment, steering ratios different, etc, etc.) I had no issues at all after the 1-2 90 degree turns that took to get used to it.

Now re the horn, turn signals etc, not sure about those until a test drive.

people just need to try it, if they don’t like it just buy another CAR, it’s simple 👍