Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke vs Steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got the steering retrofit on my MS this morning. Here's my thoughts thus far.

Yoke:
-has increased visibility of the screen, which is why they most likely used the yoke design.
-quality is terrible and Telsa service guy says they replace so many Yoke wheels due to the skin peeling issues; service guy said, Tesla is making a leather yoke wheel to fix the peeling issues.
-one handed driving provides a poor experience because your single hand is either on the far left or far right side of the yoke. using a wheel, you can place your single hand "anywhere" on the wheel and drive effortlessly.
-using autopilot on the highway was annoying, i received the white flashing warning to apply force on the yoke literally every 2 minutes; hate that you had to squeeze pretty hard to turn off the warning.

Round wheel
-the round steering wheel definitely blocks the top part of the screen so be forewarned; however, it doesn't bother me much.
-looks good and has very premium leather
-same controls as the Yoke (wish the horn was not a damn button but rather the airbag)
-one handed driving is so comfortable and effortless when cruising; can place your hand anywhere (unlike the yoke which is very awkward for 1 hand).
-hand-over-hand turning is finally back! so much better for backing up and/or maneuvering in tight parking lots.
-NEW feature: I had no idea this would happen after the installation, which included a software update; when using autopilot, you NO LONGER get the flashing warning to apply force on the wheel. i can use autopilot and not worry about waiting for the next flashing warning.

I just got the steering retrofit on my MS this morning. Here's my thoughts thus far.

Yoke:
-has increased visibility of the screen, which is why they most likely used the yoke design.
-quality is terrible and Telsa service guy says they replace so many Yoke wheels due to the skin peeling issues; service guy said, Tesla is making a leather yoke wheel to fix the peeling issues.
-one handed driving provides a poor experience because your single hand is either on the far left or far right side of the yoke. using a wheel, you can place your single hand "anywhere" on the wheel and drive effortlessly.
-using autopilot on the highway was annoying, i received the white flashing warning to apply force on the yoke literally every 2 minutes; hate that you had to squeeze pretty hard to turn off the warning.

Round wheel
-the round steering wheel definitely blocks the top part of the screen so be forewarned; however, it doesn't bother me much.
-looks good and has very premium leather
-same controls as the Yoke (wish the horn was not a damn button but rather the airbag)
-one handed driving is so comfortable and effortless when cruising; can place your hand anywhere (unlike the yoke which is very awkward for 1 hand).
-hand-over-hand turning is finally back! so much better for backing up and/or maneuvering in tight parking lots.
-NEW feature: I had no idea this would happen after the installation, which included a software update; when using autopilot, you NO LONGER get the flashing warning to apply force on the wheel. i can use autopilot and not worry about waiting for the next flashing warning.
It sounds like you fell victim to the same interpretation as I did. What the system is looking for is an occasional TURN of the steering wheel, not a squeeze.

Reactions: Smh2210
I just placed an order for a new 2023 MS Standard, Blue and cream interior.

Interested to hear real experiences and feedback on the Yoke vs Steering. Most interested to hear from those who tried the Yoke already, than those without real or long-term experience. Please provide a non-biased feedback : ). I can still edit my order to either yoke/steering.

NOTE: I am an autopilot type of a guy 99% of the time on highways, and 60-70% in-town.
If you're considering aftermarket steering wheels, Tesery is a great option. Whether you're interested in a yoke or a round steering wheel, Tesery offers a variety of styles. We have options like matte or glossy carbon fiber, LED steering wheels, racing steering wheels, sports steering wheels, and more. Whatever your preference, Tesery provides a range of choices. You can customize the leather and color to match your interior.

Feel free to explore products on official website: Tesery Steering Wheels.

About Tesla autonomous driving features,it's essential to familiarize with how Autopilot works. Here are some tips:

Stay Engaged: Even with Autopilot engaged, it's crucial to stay engaged and be ready to take control at any moment. Keep your hands on the wheel and pay attention to the road.

Use Autopilot on Highways: Autopilot is designed for use on highways and is most effective in such conditions. It might not work as well on local roads.

Be Mindful of Surroundings: While Autopilot is advanced, it's not foolproof. Be aware of your surroundings, especially in complex or unpredictable situations.

Regular Software Updates: Tesla often releases software updates that can improve Autopilot performance. Keep your car updated with the latest software.

I have the Yoke on my 2023 X and actually like it. No issues with warnings on FSD, as I keep my hand on one side for weight. Thanks you for correcting that it is not a squeeze but turning pressure. I also fell victim to the squeeze on my 2020 X before realizing it was turning force.

Reactions: zoomer0056