Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yokohama A052 - Good for Fast Laps, Terrible on Wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just incase anyone was considering the A052 for Road Course use, here is what mine look like after 2.5 hours of track time.

PXL_20210710_234111878.jpg

I flipped them once at the 1.5 hour mark. I can probably get another hour out of them, but that may be pushing it. All four look just as bad. -3 degrees of camber in the front and -2.5 in the rear.

Considering the RT660 next, but no perfect sizes. 295/40/18 looks like it would probably work, but a bit tall.

A052 are qualifying tires and die super fast. Street use kills them within months as well. They said it's the same compound as the one they use on racing slicks. Similar story as r888.

I have used A052's extensively on time attack cars that I build. They work amazingly well with the right amount of camber.

I have also used RT600's quite a lot as my team is sponsored by Falken. They are equally as fast as the A052. They do not feel quite as good to me and they need a proper good heat cycling when new. That said they last quite a bit longer than the A052's. Probably helps that they start with 3/32 more tread as well.

I won a class at the last time attack event with Gridlife in my Model 3 running RT660 tires. That is the third event on those tires and they still have lots of tread left and are still quick.

I have used A052's extensively on time attack cars that I build. They work amazingly well with the right amount of camber.

I have also used RT600's quite a lot as my team is sponsored by Falken. They are equally as fast as the A052. They do not feel quite as good to me and they need a proper good heat cycling when new. That said they last quite a bit longer than the A052's. Probably helps that they start with 3/32 more tread as well.

I won a class at the last time attack event with Gridlife in my Model 3 running RT660 tires. That is the third event on those tires and they still have lots of tread left and are still quick.
Appreciate the feedback! What size did you run on the 3 with the RT660?

I am heading to my first autox event this weekend with a new set of A052s. I'm all stock so no camber. After seeing this post I am thinking I made mistake on the A052s. Oh well, hoping I don't destroy them too fast.

I am heading to my first autox event this weekend with a new set of A052s. I'm all stock so no camber. After seeing this post I am thinking I made mistake on the A052s. Oh well, hoping I don't destroy them too fast.
Mistake for sure. You'll want to over air them, spray them down after every run, limit over-running them(I'm prone to this being an aggressive autocrosser) and you'll be ok. Forget one of those 3 things and you'll be delaminating them pretty quickly.

Just incase anyone was considering the A052 for Road Course use, here is what mine look like after 2.5 hours of track time.

View attachment 685533

I flipped them once at the 1.5 hour mark. I can probably get another hour out of them, but that may be pushing it. All four look just as bad. -3 degrees of camber in the front and -2.5 in the rear.

Considering the RT660 next, but no perfect sizes. 295/40/18 looks like it would probably work, but a bit tall.
what size were the tires?

Hmm, not sure. It wouldn't surprise me if it were. Haven't driven the car in 3 weeks lol
If it's bluing I've never seen that happen on sections of a car tire. It's usually the whole thing or nothing. On motorcycles it happens pretty much all the time, but that's because 95% of the heat comes from cornering on a side, the the middle is untouched.

Would be interesting to see that though, seems it would have to be dual compound for the center to be blued and the side tread not.