Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You baby your car and then 5 minutes with a valet....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Iron

Jan 22, 2023
ATL
You'd think a valet would know to stay away from the curbs. Sigh....

IMG-0732.jpg

IMG-0738.jpg

Reactions: easyev
Yeah. These are aftermarkets that I got off Amazon and the seller wouldn't sell just one. They bought me a whole set, so now I'll have spares.

I could see on sentry mode side-view camera that the valet had parked right up on the curb. Went out to car and sure enough, she had curbed the crap out of it. She walks up and asks "is anything wrong?" She admitted quickly that she'd done it. Not sure if that was honesty speaking or her knowing that Teslas have cameras. I'm pretty certain that had I not mentioned it, she wouldn't have volunteered the info.

Last edited:
Yeah. These are aftermarkets that I got off Amazon and the seller wouldn't sell just one. They bought me a whole set, so now I'll have spares.

I could see on sentry mode side-view camera that the valet had parked right up on the curb. Went out to car and sure enough, she had curbed the crap out of it. She walks up and asks "is anything wrong?" She admitted quickly that she'd done it. Not sure if that was honesty speaking or her knowing that Teslas have cameras. I'm pretty certain that had I not mentioned it, she wouldn't have volunteered the info.
Imagine if you wouldn't have checked the live view.

Could you share the link for those?!
Glad they stepped up and covered that! And Sentry mode came in clutch for that.
Yep. They were happy when I told them they were plastic hubcaps and not actual wheels. This could have been a lot more expensive. Also no chunks missing from the tire.
Imagine if you wouldn't have checked the live view.
Only had this car three months. This was my first time handing it to a valet. Might be my last. She didn't move the car more than 50 feet away from where I pulled up and still managed to damage it. Live sentry showed the rear wheel was almost touching the curb which is when I went to go check on it.

When I checked dashcam later, it recorded my whole drive there and me pulling into the valet area. The next clip was my drive home from there. It did not record when the valet moved it, which would have been the most important part. Anyone know why??? Does the car have to be driven for a specific amount of time before it starts recording?
Sorry to see this. Any scratches to the lip of the inner Gemini wheel?
I don't think so, but I don't know for sure till I pull off the hubcap. I'll post that when the new ones arrive.

When I checked dashcam later, it recorded my whole drive there and me pulling into the valet area. The next clip was my drive home from there. It did not record when the valet moved it, which would have been the most important part. Anyone know why??? Does the car have to be driven for a specific amount of time before it starts recording?
Wild guess: was it in Valet Mode when the valet parked it? As you've shown, that can be a vital time to be recording but maybe Tesla turns off recording in Valet Mode.

If they could delete the recent file, then the footage of your drive there would have been gone too. Unless you saved your drive there as a dashcam clip beforehand.
Not necessarily. My drive there and drive home were separate clips. Every time you park then start a new drive, it's a separate clip. They can be deleted individually.

Not necessarily. My drive there and drive home were separate clips. Every time you park then start a new drive, it's a separate clip. They can be deleted individually.
When I look at the onscreen dashcam app, I only ever see one Recent clip on the left side on mine. Seems to show the last 30 to 45 minutes but I've only looked through the Recent clip on a few occasions. Then there are separate sections on the left for saved Sentry or Dashcam clips. Do you have more than one Recent clip showing on your dashcam app?

When I take the USB out and view the files on the PC, then I see multiple videos that are about a minute or so in length in folders (recent, saved and sentry). I assume the onscreen dashcam app is just stringing these minute long files together to make it seem like one continuous video.

Have you looked at the files on the USB to see if the valet footage is there? I've noticed on the dashcam app that it can skip around when trying to string together these smaller files.

So if you click on the 3 bars on top left and select "dashcam," that should show the dashcam recordings. I get about two or three a day, sometimes one. It's very random though. I drive the car every day, including three times today. When I just checked, the last few recordings were from two days ago on the 25th. I will check again tomorrow to see if any from today are eventually generated. Very confused about how this works. It's just not consistent.

Yes, I did check the USB drive plugged into my PC and found nothing for the incident.

So if you click on the 3 bars on top left and select "dashcam," that should show the dashcam recordings. I get about two or three a day, sometimes one. It's very random though. I drive the car every day, including three times today. When I just checked, the last few recordings were from two days ago on the 25th. I will check again tomorrow to see if any from today are eventually generated. Very confused about how this works. It's just not consistent.

Yes, I did check the USB drive plugged into my PC and found nothing for the incident.
It would be interesting to know if valet mode impacts the recent recording clip. Probably have to experiment with it. I don't recall any changes to how dashcam or sentry should work when in valet mode

The recordings in the dashcam section are supposed to be saved by a specific action like touching dashcam icon while in drive or honking if that is turned on in settings. It shouldn't be random.