Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You have your Model 3 - how much head turning do you get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My kids keep waving at every Tesla they spot.. Tesla is definitely very popular in kids and youth, my son runs an honour based Tesla spotting competition in his class and half of his class is involved in spotting Teslas. One kid even claimed spotting a Tesla Roadster this week and this is a private school where it's not uncommon to see Ferraris, Bentleys or lamborghinis on school pick up runs.

Hahahaha, same in my son's class.....when my wife turns up to pick up my son, kids still come to have a "look" inside the X and watch the doors etc., my son has even booked "pickup/drop-off" as kids don't want to be picked up in a boring AMG this that or the other their parents drive ;)

Shameful that we're in a high-net worth area/private school but yet we're one of only 2x Tesla owners at the school.....clearly the lambo's, AMG's etc. are high up on the parents list of must-haves....saving grace is the kids couldn't care too hoots about ICE's and just loveeee Tesla....

Hahahaha, same in my son's class.....when my wife turns up to pick up my son, kids still come to have a "look" inside the X and watch the doors etc., my son has even booked "pickup/drop-off" as kids don't want to be picked up in a boring AMG this that or the other their parents drive ;)

Shameful that we're in a high-net worth area/private school but yet we're one of only 2x Tesla owners at the school.....clearly the lambo's, AMG's etc. are high up on the parents list of must-haves....saving grace is the kids couldn't care too hoots about ICE's and just loveeee Tesla....
Kids know what's cool. And they are the future!

So I parked at Melbourne Airport for the weekend in Terminal 123 (Multi-level). I ended up with lots of Sentry events (basically the car kept flashing anyone that walked past). I did a quick look through the videos and 2/3 of people just kept walking but about a third stopped at had a good gawk at the car and looked inside.

On a side note, it would be good if the Sentry saves covered a longer period before and after the event and also included the B pillar camera and also didn't burn through the battery as hard but it's better than nothing and it'll get there with future updates.

• Informative
Reactions: Hungry Mile
So I parked at Melbourne Airport for the weekend in Terminal 123 (Multi-level). I ended up with lots of Sentry events (basically the car kept flashing anyone that walked past). I did a quick look through the videos and 2/3 of people just kept walking but about a third stopped at had a good gawk at the car and looked inside.
There are some neat third party apps which assemble dash cam and sentry videos into a single concatenated file showing all cameras arranged in one viewing window. Otherwise looking at the videos is frustrating and a time waster. Most though are not simple plug-and-play desktop apps (yet) but require ffmpeg and some command line customisation to work.

On a side note, it would be good if the Sentry saves covered a longer period before and after the event and also included the B pillar camera and also didn't burn through the battery as hard but it's better than nothing and it'll get there with future updates.
Yep Sentry is such a power hog and it’s hard to justify why. I turn it off when parked in “safe” locations.

Yep Sentry is such a power hog and it’s hard to justify why. I turn it off when parked in “safe” locations.
The reason it uses a disproportionate amount of battery is that the car is prevented from “sleeping” with sentry mode active. So more systems than just the cameras are using power. When I leave my car for extended periods I use Teslafi schedules to turn on Sentry from 11pm to 5am. Car can then sleep the rest of the day.

I get some head turning on the freeway when I pass taller vehicles in autopilot and they see no hands on the wheel!

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
Two families approached down the coast at Moruya. Both were initiated by the kids - their parents explained the kids saw the tesla charging .. asked lots of questions , sat them inside the car, showed them the dash , went through a couple of menu items with them .
Kids know a lot - and the parents ? they want to know the prices .. one father wanted to know when he could expect to buy a second hand tradies truck , but BEV.
Good on ya kids - work on the parents :)

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I get a lot more head-turning than the initial respondents to my thread indicated I should expect. I often see people in my side or rearview mirror clearly turning their head to have a longer look as I go past. Some Sentry events are people checking out the car.

The best one so far was a mum and dad walking their 6- or 7-year old kid down the street, and as I turned the corner and went past them I clearly heard the kid call out “that’s a Tesla!” while pointing excitedly at it.

Yep... the kids know :D

The best one so far was a mum and dad walking their 6- or 7-year old kid down the street, and as I turned the corner and went past them I clearly heard the kid call out “that’s a Tesla!” while pointing excitedly at it.

Yep... the kids know :D
A couple months ago, I had loaded my groceries into the back when three little kids came up to me excitedly. They all knew it was a Tesla and asked to go for a ride. I invited mom and dad to come along. Drove around the block a couple times, some acceleration, Autopilot, etc. It really made their day! Fun stuff!

Yet another person to say that young adults, and college/high school ages are the ones that turn heads. Maybe even snap a picture or stop to look at it a parking lot.
Older people often have no idea what it is and ask questions like "how long does the battery last before the real engine turns on?"

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok
Older people often have no idea what it is and ask questions like "how long does the battery last before the real engine turns on?"
Reminds me of a couple of years ago when our LEAF was repaired after a Ute smashed into it. When we picked it up, the guy at the desk that gave us the keys had never seen one before. We explained it was a fully electric car. He asked where we put the petrol in. We told him it doesn’t use petrol, you can‘t put petrol in it. He asked us to start it and we told him it was already on, he put his hand on the bonnet and said there’s no vibration. We said it has a motor in it not an engine. The look of complete and utter incomprehension on his face was priceless.

Last edited:
Reminds me of a couple of years ago when our LEAF was repaired after a Ute smashed into it. When we picked it up, the guy at the desk that gave us the keys had never seen one before. We explained it was a fully electric car. He asked where we put the petrol in. We told him it doesn’t use petrol, you can‘t put petrol in it. He asked us to start it and we told him it was already on, he put his hand on the bonnet and said there’s no vibration. We said it has a motor in it not an engine. The look of complete and utter incomprehension on his face was priceless.
I had somebody ask me once what was going to happen when I have to start changing the oil. Saying you're probably going to have to have that done at Tesla and it's going to be expensive. I just laughed and told them it could go a VERY long time between oil changes.

I think people have spent a long time lusting after certain brands, and now feel compelled to have them (AMG etc) even if they're not as good.
Personally I consider all ICE vehicles to be roughly equivalent. To me, a Hyundai Santa Fe and a BMW X5 are basically the same. Slow, noisy sh*tboxes that need constant servicing and fuelling.

I've had the same conversation half a dozen times about my Tesla.
It's a mental block, people are just so used to putting fuel in cars.
I find the easiest explaination is to tell them it's just a giant toy car you can sit in.