Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You reserved a model 3, but really want a model y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From this other thread/article questioning the model 3Writer of this article questions the long term future of the Model 3

I don't think the model 3 was a mistake, but it does seem that margins and sales opportunity would be larger in the model y segment. Elon had alluded to this.

So my question is did you reserve a model 3, but really want a model y?

My answer to this is yes i did reserve a model 3, but i actually want a model y. Reasons :
-Trunk space for a wheelchair (will need to see if this fits in model 3 Trunk without hassle of needing to dismantle too much of wheelchair each time or if it fits with part of split back seat folded)
-Ground clearance/very steep driveway (would then get air suspension in model 3)
-Trunk space, for gear and my labrador retriever on real wilderness camping trips. But i think i might just rent an ICE (or swap car with family member) for those occasions due to lack of superchargers where i want to go (northern Ontario)
-I also prefer higher seating position of SUV/crossover.

Three cars:

1) The announced model 3
2) The model 3 in hatchback form (and reduced second row headroom).
3) The model Y.

IMO 70-80% of the market prefer choices two or three. But Musk wants the rear seat headroom in the model 3 sedan for China and car service.

The choices in the model X and the model 3 show what Tesla really worries about.

-I also prefer higher seating position of SUV/crossover.

The model Y may have the same seating position of the model 3.

I believe that model Y is based on 3 platform and will be made on the same production line.

In the beginning, while demand outstrips supply, only Model 3 will be made but in a year or so model Y will be released (IMO).

Three cars:

1) The announced model 3
2) The model 3 in hatchback form (and reduced second row headroom).
3) The model Y.

IMO 70-80% of the market prefer choices two or three. But Musk wants the rear seat headroom in the model 3 sedan for China and car service.

The choices in the model X and the model 3 show what Tesla really worries about.

The model Y may have the same seating position of the model 3.

I just don't see how 70-80% want option 2. I do see them wanting option 3. If most people wanted a luxury hatch you would see a lot more sales of the GT model cars from BMW. Even the Audi A3 was available in a hatch for awhile in the US but they discontinued it. In Europe this is an entirely different thing but here in the US it either has to be larger with a higher stance SUV or a sedan. Hatch backs and wagons just don't sell as well here. Even the model X really doesn't meet the demands of most SUV purchasers here. It still sits too low and I find the 3rd row seat very lacking.

I just don't see how 70-80% want option 2. I do see them wanting option 3. If most people wanted a luxury hatch you would see a lot more sales of the GT model cars from BMW. Even the Audi A3 was available in a hatch for awhile in the US but they discontinued it. In Europe this is an entirely different thing but here in the US it either has to be larger with a higher stance SUV or a sedan. Hatch backs and wagons just don't sell as well here. Even the model X really doesn't meet the demands of most SUV purchasers here. It still sits too low and I find the 3rd row seat very lacking.

To be clear I should have said that maybe only a third would choose the sedan. Sedans sell well in general, but EV buyers at this point are less traditional and the model 3 will appeal to younger buyers.

I think the X looks great "in person". To me it looks big, expensive and moderately exotic.

For me it is weird. I think it looks 'OK' but in a way I really love the Model S because of the subtle styling queues. I think a lot of that sexiness/styling has been lost on the X because the overall lines of it are missing some creases etc... Kinda like it gained a few pounds and lost its dimples.

To be clear I should have said that maybe only a third would choose the sedan. Sedans sell well in general, but EV buyers at this point are less traditional and the model 3 will appeal to younger buyers.

That is true. Right now EV owners are less traditional. I think Tesla is trying to break away from the "EV" buyer. The Model 3 I hope will become that car where it doesn't appeal to the "EV" buyer but people who are out shopping for a nice car and the Model 3 gives them everything they want and they don't even care about the drivetrain.

Honestly I think younger buyers would like a lux hatch but frankly I think the Model 3 is still too expensive to compete with the Mazda 3, Focus ST, etc... Yes it is 35k starting but once you option it up you really are selling to BMW 3-series or Audi buyers and they typically buy the A4 or a SUV.

For me it is weird. I think it looks 'OK' but in a way I really love the Model S because of the subtle styling queues. I think a lot of that sexiness/styling has been lost on the X because the overall lines of it are missing some creases etc... Kinda like it gained a few pounds and lost its dimples.

Do you have kids? Big vehicles look a lot better for parents with kids.

I think (hope) the model Y is just a model 3 with a squared up back. Similar to how Porsche styles CUVs.

I believe that model Y is based on 3 platform and will be made on the same production line.

In the beginning, while demand outstrips supply, only Model 3 will be made but in a year or so model Y will be released (IMO).

I agree on the timeline, but sharing a platform doesn't negate the Y having a higher stance. The Subaru Impreza and Crosstrek are an example of two cars that share a platform but have very different elevations.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
I think it's funny that they keep running these articles about whether or not the Model 3 is in a segment that is in high enough demand. They have 400k reservations. Demand is a moot point. As it happens, if I wasn't waiting for a Model 3, I'd be looking for a small sedan in a similar class. No car is going to be all things to all people. If you need a compact CUV to meet your needs, just wait for the Y or buy/lease a vehicle that does suit your needs.

Do you have kids? Big vehicles look a lot better for parents with kids.

I think (hope) the model Y is just a model 3 with a squared up back. Similar to how Porsche styles CUVs.

Yes I have 3 kids. We actually evaluated a Model X and it just won't work. I'll be weird and say the 3rd row is bad. the fact that the 2nd row seats have hard backs so if your knees do have to be in the seats it is impossible. Vs a Honda Pilot where if your knees are in the back of the 2nd row they flex some. I really feel like the attempt to be 'cool' really killed the functionality of the Model X. The fact that the 2nd row seats don't fold. You need to smash the front row passenger to get into the 3rd row is crazy. (I actually accidentally smashed someone into the dash in the showroom because entering the third row I didn't know that a complete stranger seated in the passenger seat would be powered forward when I hit the button. I love Tesla's but I feel like the Model X is a complete useless family hauler. I really wanted to like it and even was willing to make some sacrifices to possibly get one but it really isn't a useable 3 row SUV in my eyes. Another huge thing that came to my attention is my kids when they are sick need to recline a bit in the 2nd row and you can't even do that in the Model X.

I hope the Model Y has more normal SUV seats.

I do agree that if the Model Y looked like a Macan it would be a really sexy vehicle. I love the Porsche Macan styling. The Model 3 will be my commuter car and I only need to get 3 kids in it occasionally if the van is in the shop for some reason.

I really feel like the attempt to be 'cool' really killed the functionality of the Model X.

It did for me. I really wanted just a big electric SUV without the falcon doors and "world's best second row seats". I want the "U" in SUV.

To do it all over again I would have just bought a model S when AP1 was released.

I have gotten over my disappointment and now think the X is a cool car. But I'm not compromising my wants and needs on a $130K+ vehicle.

I'm replacing a sedan, so an SUV of any description- whether it has X or Y chromosomes- isn't under consideration. The Model 3 works for me. That said, I have always questioned the Model X's utility, given that it had (has?) less useful interior space than the hatchback Model S and 2nd row seats that couldn't fold. Like many other SUV's (that sell very well) it seems like more of a fashion statement. Sort of like those "rhino bars" you see on SUV's fom the 80's.
Robin

"Moot" is going the same way as "literally". My head is literally exploding.

"An issue regarded as potentially debatable, but no longer practically applicable. Although the idea may still be worth debating and exploring academically, and such discussion may be useful for addressing similar issues in the future, the idea has been rendered irrelevant for the present issue."

As in, you could debate whether or not it would have been wiser to start with a CUV than a sedan, but since demand will far outpace supply in either case, the argument would not be a fruitful one.

• Informative
Reactions: feslatan
My wife would love a Y. In fact, she loves the X, but it's above our budget.

I finally got to test out a six seat configuration on the X and it solved my two gripes with the seven seats: the headrest blocking the rear view and the third row leg room. I sat in the third row and stretched my legs between the second row seats and could have easily taken a nap

If Tesla wanted to ease up the backlog of orders a little they could announce the Y and say that any existing 3 preorders could switch to the Y and be first in line. I'm sure plenty would go for it, possibly one of mine if it only meant waiting an extra 6-9 months.