Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You reserved a model 3, but really want a model y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want both, The 3 for me and a Y for the wife.

The problem with the article, as others have pointed out is that they assume no one wants a sedan. This just isn't true, 1/3 of all vehicles sold in 2015 were cars. Yes there is more demand for SUV's and Trucks (especially in North America). But Tesla doesn't have nearly enough batteries to get into that market and they know it.

Without Gigafactory 1 there would be no model 3, without Gigafactory 3 there will be no pickup truck, without 4 there will be no Semi.

i think it is one of the reasons they are already looking for places to build, its not just about spreading out geographically around the world but building enough extra capacity to expand the product lines.

I am coming from a Lexus IS so the Model 3 is perfect.

If they started with the Y it would have been more expensive and might have started at $45k. When they produce it in 3 or 4 years that cost might only start at $37,500.

Yeah, my wife bugged me to end her misery with our Accord coupe (we had a welcome surprise in another daughter, 13 years apart from her older sister, and it was hell getting here in and out of the backseat to bring her to and home from the daycare before but she's much more cooperative now) and get her an SUV. I did some research and we went for the RAV4 Hybrid. We still have the Accord since my eldest daughter just got her driver's learner permit.

I'd be banging my head against the wall if the Y was offered before the 3 since we would have lost so much money trying to sell the RAV4 because I don't want to drive SUV/CUV's, she does. I prefer a lower center of gravity and I don't need the extra trunk/cargo space most of the time.

It would have been nice for the Y to arrive first as it would kill two birds with one stone (my thirst for an EV and her inclination towards SUV's) had we not financed the RAV4 but like you said, I'm thinking it would cost at least $7,500-10,000 more and we're earning Canadian dollars so I would be put off by the pricing.

When the Y comes out in 2019 or later, it will be a perfect time because other car makers make or will be releasing their SUV BEVs (Koreans in 2018/19) though I'm still not sure if makes financial sense for a household to sell a perfectly fine car like our RAV4 Hybrid and take another depreciation hit with another BEV SUV unless the household starts driving a lot more for work or school. I am still not sure if Tesla by making production simpler and less fancier on the M3, will result in above average quality.

If Tesla wanted to ease up the backlog of orders a little they could announce the Y and say that any existing 3 preorders could switch to the Y and be first in line. I'm sure plenty would go for it, possibly one of mine if it only meant waiting an extra 6-9 months.

That's how it worked with the S / X and that's how I hope it will work with the 3 / Y. The Y is closer to the ideal car for us, but we reserved a 3, since we would be happy with one if the Y never eventuates.

Fortunately being in Australia, we aren't going to be invited to configure our 3 until probably 12+ months after they start being delivered in California, and by that time there will most likely be more concrete information about the Y.

Reactions: strykeroz
We currently only have one car (BMW 1 series) because my wife doesn't need a car. We live next to the place where she works (family run business). The Model 3 comes out at the perfect time because that's around the time when we want to have our first child.
By the time the Model Y comes out we might be thinking about a second child and maybe we'll replace the BMW with it.

At least that's MY plan! ;)

For me it is weird. I think it looks 'OK' but in a way I really love the Model S because of the subtle styling queues. I think a lot of that sexiness/styling has been lost on the X because the overall lines of it are missing some creases etc... Kinda like it gained a few pounds and lost its dimples.
The problem with the X is that it's a bigger S in some areas, while roughly the same size in others. The S had fantastic proportions, but the X's proportions are a bit whack. The hood is far too small and sedan-like for a larger car. It looks stubby. The ass is too tall and makes the car look like it's trying not to fall flat on its face.

Unfortunately, the 3 has gone the same way. The general shape is closer to the X than S. It has an even smaller hood, which is really low and short. Moving the cabin forward makes the hood look stubby like the X. Just look at the blue 3 on your reservation page. Also, it might just be the overly low hood, but the back looks strange, like it's too high in the same vein as the X. The S has a lot more "weight" balance between the front and back.

The car is too narrow and there is too much emphasis on rear passenger comfort. It makes the car look awkwardly tall. Just look at the Tesla Roof Tile render. Loses out a bit on that streamlined look the S has. Haunches are still there, but they're a lot less sexy. Kinda like a chick with a nice donk but no waist. Looks like a cockroach in some angles (might just be the camera). You can't keep the car the same height as the S and simply shrink in the front and back. It looks ridiculous.

The back is also too stubby. The S was very subtle in the sloping design into the spoiler, but the 3 is a lot more bulbous. The S was a little flatter which makes the car sleeker and more elegant. This is striking to me because of how subtle the shape change is, but how much of a difference it makes.

Not to say any of these design choices are ugly per se, but disappointing. I'm not sure what to expect from the Y. The X is the S with a raised roof. The 3 is a smaller X. How ridiculous will the Y look if it's a 3 with a raised roof?