Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Your first UK Tesla MOT? Checklist before the visit.

dspwhite

Nov 21, 2012
UK
  • | This is a WikiPost. Members with appropriate permissions may edit.
I'm closing on the date I need to MOT my Tesla Model 3, so I thought I'd research a little and create this checklist of things (ordered by priority) you should probably ensure to make sure the test goes smoothly.

If you can help edit or add to this list, that'd be great. Let's help each other. Apparently, a smaller independent garage is the way to go, as you can more easily help them, and they're less likely to turn you away.

CHECKLIST:

1: First and foremost, make sure they lift only on the jacking points. Buy all FOUR lift pads in advance to lend them if they don't have any. I am open to suggestions on the best product to use. One that's secure and sticks in a little bit, but isn't too tight to take out again.

2: Disable (or change) the 4 digit pin if you use one.

3: If you have air suspension you may need to tell them about Jack Mode.

4: For the Model X and S, give them a copy of the Tesla MOT guidance document: Ministry of Transport (MOT) Testing - unfortunately, I can't find the site for the Model 3, and I'm not sure how much of that information applies to the Model 3.

5: Stay in Neutral for the brake test (the Tesla MOT document is helpful for this). (Model 3 applicable?)

6: Their ramp for the car lift may not provide enough clearance for underneath the car. Check it's okay!

7: Let them know the location of the odometer. Be careful, since when the car is 'off', it may show the trip meter mileage rather than the total mileage.

8: Let them know how to enable windscreen wiper service mode

9: Potentially little things such as how to put the car into drive/reverse/neutral/park and that there's regen when letting off the accelerator.

Last edited:

Tony Hoyle

May 7, 2019
Stockport, UK
I'd likely just find somewhere that has done Teslas before (or was at least enthusiastic about learning, which our local garage surely wouldn't be - they don't even have email.. very old school..).

Reactions: JS77

HenryT

Jan 29, 2020
Manchester
I had the pleasure of taking my previous MS for an MOT just prior to selling it. I used my local National Tyres who I have had good service from over the past few years and was able to get a half price MOT by downloading a voucher. I booked it in online.

When I got there I offered them my jack pads which they did use and the tester explained that as this was the first Tesla they had seen, he had downloaded specific guidance from National Tyres which he showed me. It looked like a couple of pages of bullet points and I was perfectly comfortable with the way they handled it.

Reactions: PrGrPa

pgkevet

Jul 1, 2019
mid wales
My S is due end this month .. already spoken to village garage and they'll check, clean brakes and rotate, move some tyres around (puncture replacements need putting in sensible corners).
Friendly place and I expect they'll let me stay while it’s done to deal with any queries as they have for puncture repairs when they get me to drive it on and off the ramp.

davidmc

May 20, 2019
Leicester
I'm closing on the date I need to MOT my Tesla Model 3, so I thought I'd research a little and create this checklist of things (ordered by priority) you should probably ensure to make sure the test goes smoothly.

If you can help edit or add to this list, that'd be great. Let's help each other. Apparently, a smaller independent garage is the way to go, as you can more easily help them, and they're less likely to turn you away.

CHECKLIST:

1: First and foremost, make sure they lift only on the jacking points. Buy all FOUR lift pads in advance to lend them if they don't have any. I am open to suggestions on the best product to use. One that's secure and sticks in a little bit, but isn't too tight to take out again.

2: Disable (or change) the 4 digit pin if you use one.

3: If you have air suspension you may need to tell them about Jack Mode.

4: For the Model X and S, give them a copy of the Tesla MOT guidance document: Ministry of Transport (MOT) Testing - unfortunately, I can't find the site for the Model 3, and I'm not sure how much of that information applies to the Model 3.

5: Stay in Neutral for the brake test (the Tesla MOT document is helpful for this). (Model 3 applicable?)

6: Their ramp for the car lift may not provide enough clearance for underneath the car. Check it's okay!

7: Let them know the location of the odometer. Be careful, since when the car is 'off', it may show the trip meter mileage rather than the total mileage.

8: Let them know how to enable windscreen wiper service mode

9: Potentially little things such as how to put the car into drive/reverse/neutral/park and that there's regen when letting off the accelerator.
Thanks

But isn't the MOT carried out at year 3 or older?

The M3 came out in the UK in June/July 2019 so making it only 2 years old?

Unless you are being super efficient and planning well in advance :)

dspwhite

Nov 21, 2012
UK
Thanks

But isn't the MOT carried out at year 3 or older?

The M3 came out in the UK in June/July 2019 so making it only 2 years old?

Unless you are being super efficient and planning well in advance :)

Yeah I'm not quite that long-planning ;) Found out it was three earlier oops.

• Funny
Reactions: davidmc

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC