Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Model S just went up in price...less depreciation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And now this...Tesla drastically increases Supercharger prices around the world — Electrek

even more value for cars that have SC baked in for life.

Some napkin math:

Looking up electricity rates in California the industrial rate averages just over 10 cents/kWh while the commercial rate is 13 cents/kWh. Don't know which one Tesla gets. Per the article if Tesla now charges 32-36 cents/kWh for simplicity let's say that is about 20 cents/kWh profit. If a supercharger costs $250,000 to install it would take 1,250,000 kWh of billed charging to recoup the outlay. Assuming an average charge of 50kW (?) per car that is 25,000 charges.

Now I have no idea how long it takes for a supercharger station to have 25,000 charges: If a charge takes half an hour, and a 12 stall station in California is completely full 12 hours a day that would be 288 charges per day, so that is only 87 days? Wow, that is a lot quicker than I thought it would be. (assuming everyone who charges pays of course)

Some napkin math:

Looking up electricity rates in California the industrial rate averages just over 10 cents/kWh while the commercial rate is 13 cents/kWh. Don't know which one Tesla gets. Per the article if Tesla now charges 32-36 cents/kWh for simplicity let's say that is about 20 cents/kWh profit. If a supercharger costs $250,000 to install it would take 1,250,000 kWh of billed charging to recoup the outlay. Assuming an average charge of 50kW (?) per car that is 25,000 charges.

Now I have no idea how long it takes for a supercharger station to have 25,000 charges: If a charge takes half an hour, and a 12 stall station in California is completely full 12 hours a day that would be 288 charges per day, so that is only 87 days? Wow, that is a lot quicker than I thought it would be. (assuming everyone who charges pays of course)
Electricity rates in the major utilities in California PG&E, SDG&E, are all based on time of use. There’s enough solar in California to have excess energy in the daytime something known as the duck curve. There is actually so much excess energy that in the day time it actually cost money to load
that energy onto the grid. Tesla’s move is just to make money because their finances look soft, with all the model three deliveries mostly comeplet they’re looking to cut costs through laying people off, cutting referral programs, increasing service for charging rates getting rid of low margin cars etc. etc. this is all to make Q1 2019 not look bad.

We are anticipating the federal tax credit to completely go away so they need to cut the bottom line and cut costs to be able to deliver cars cheaper faster to offset the credit ending...we know Trump is not going to extend it.

And now this...Tesla drastically increases Supercharger prices around the world — Electrek

even more value for cars that have SC baked in for life.

Yes, and now this. Incredible. Now the reverse is true about unlimited supercharging. Take the figure they touted to us when we bought into unlimited as savings over 4-6-8 years and just add it right onto the fair used price(whatever someone will pay in a given market) of a given vehicle.

Lets forget for a moment we want to help the environment we live, in if thats part of a given Tesla owners motivation.

What used ICE car would you buy if dealer/private seller told you unlimited gasoline for the life of the car guaranteed? Set me up with the train over there in the yard. It gets 20 gallons to the mile.

I see some things though that might not be good.

Throttling, slowing the charge rate as we know they already do this. They could slow it down tremendously on trips for everyone. Improved Tech will for sure make these cars dinosaurs also.

Throttling could also bring about psychological feeling of needing a new car.

Lowering range as time goes by, I think/know they already do this for various reasons ie warranty of the battery and physiological, "I need a new car".