Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zendure Superbase-V is a DIY PowerWall starting at $2499 and as little as 41¢/Wh

I have been TRYING to find that out for 3 years now. I have seen a few people on craigslist who were selling the hardware that they got as part of the referral promotions back in the day. I could not find ANYONE who could confirm or deny that actual human beings could hook up their own PowerWall. Ryan McCaffrey has a Tesla podcast and he ended up hiring a solar company to install his and install solar for his house. I already have solar that I installed myself, so I would like to add batteries to it, but how do I get in Tesla's good graces and have them PTO my system?

Thus I have NOT purchased anyone's PowerWall system off craigslist

I'm guessing you have to be approved by Tesla to do that. If you're DIY, you can get certified in the Enphase University to provision those as well, but that's time, $$ to learn a proprietory system.

I think in your case, if you're hardcore DIY, check this forum and see what those folks do:

Labor is a lot of $$ normally for an install so yes, you'll always save $$, but if things break, you also have to fix everything yourself. I think folks buy old Leafs and use those massive batteries too.

Edit:
Wanted to add that I'm guessing that these portables aren't going to qualify for the 30% credit: Was trying to find old posts and I don't think anything portable would qualify since they're not permanently attached to a house. DIY rack mount or something less fancy may qualify though if it's bolted to a wall or something I'm guessing:

‘‘(6) QUALIFIED BATTERY STORAGE TECHNOLOGY EXPENDI- TURE.—The term ‘qualified battery storage technology expenditure’ means an expenditure for battery storage technology which—

‘‘(A) is installed in connection with a dwelling unit located in the United States and used as a residence by the taxpayer, and

Last edited:
I have been TRYING to find that out for 3 years now. I have seen a few people on craigslist who were selling the hardware that they got as part of the referral promotions back in the day. I could not find ANYONE who could confirm or deny that actual human beings could hook up their own PowerWall. Ryan McCaffrey has a Tesla podcast and he ended up hiring a solar company to install his and install solar for his house. I already have solar that I installed myself, so I would like to add batteries to it, but how do I get in Tesla's good graces and have them PTO my system?

Thus I have NOT purchased anyone's PowerWall system off craigslist
I was lucky to get PW in 2019 and installed in 2020 for my existing Enphase solar. Now, it is next to impossible, it appears.

Reactions: israndy
Thats putting together things that do not go together. The base configuration of the truck for this discussion is not relevant, because it will not offer that feature. You also will not be pulling up to your home with your truck and just "plugging in" without several thousand dollars of equipment installed by SunRun, including a specific charger from ford and other needed equipment.

Im all for choice, but I am not for mis information, and intimating someone can buy a 40k ford lighting and then use some version of V2H is not accurate.

First off, I was mostly trying to make the point that Powerwalls are pretty expensive for the storage they provide. Just do the kWh comparison for the cost of storage. It's true that a base F150 needs a 1.3K charger, and electrical work to add it to your home, but the electrical work is likely significant for a Powerwall installation as well, especially if it's a standalone retrofit. The F150 is one of the first vehicles that supports V2H, and Sunrun is an optional choice, which means that folks could use the F150 system with other kinds of ATS etc... Yes, it's not a vertically integrated system like Powerwall+Gateway etc.., but then again, it may be able to be used as part of a system that supports generators and normal transfer switches (that can handle > 200 Amps)

In any case, I am not saying that people should get a F150 instead of powerwalls - most people don't have the garage space to leave a vehicle in there, and it takes up a lot of space for a battery. But from a value POV, it shows how expensive Powerwalls are, and hopefully someone with scale will compete with Tesla and build a more cost-effective product. V2H may be that path, or maybe Ford etc... will start offering back up batteries that build on their battery scale. One can only hope for more cost effective storage if we are really going to make green energy work.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
The downside of the Ford system as revealed by Nicki of TEN (Transport Evolved News) is if your vehicle isn't there when the power goes out you can't save what's in the fridge. She had left for San Diego for the Fully Charged Live event when she got the call that the power was out at her Portland residence due to the heatwave and wildfires. One advantage is you can leave the house to get more power away from your local outage and return, but you could also just add solar to most battery packs, the sun'll come out tomorrow.

I have solar and so adding batteries means I can use solar power after the sun goes away, sure I can survive a power outage too but that's pretty rare at home. So I'll be charging the batteries every day and running the house off them every night. And as I have said, occasionally taking one to the cabin so if the power goes out I can run the fridge and the furnace off it and recharge it when the power returns. Cabin power went out just last night for a few hours according to PG&E's texts.

The downside of the Ford system as revealed by Nicki of TEN (Transport Evolved News) is if your vehicle isn't there when the power goes out you can't save what's in the fridge. She had left for San Diego for the Fully Charged Live event when she got the call that the power was out at her Portland residence due to the heatwave and wildfires. One advantage is you can leave the house to get more power away from your local outage and return, but you could also just add solar to most battery packs, the sun'll come out tomorrow.

I have solar and so adding batteries means I can use solar power after the sun goes away, sure I can survive a power outage too but that's pretty rare at home. So I'll be charging the batteries every day and running the house off them every night. And as I have said, occasionally taking one to the cabin so if the power goes out I can run the fridge and the furnace off it and recharge it when the power returns. Cabin power went out just last night for a few hours according to PG&E's texts.
Yep, all about probabilities of events. ;) :D

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
Yep, all about probabilities of events. ;) :D
Unfortunately, the probabilities seem to be increasing quite a lot. We went from 2000-2010 without a power outage. This year we have had 4 multi-hour outages including one for a day and a 1/2. The 2 Powerwall cost increase ($11K) to solar install seems pretty minor in hindsight.

Reactions: charlesj
Unfortunately, the probabilities seem to be increasing quite a lot. We went from 2000-2010 without a power outage. This year we have had 4 multi-hour outages including one for a day and a 1/2. The 2 Powerwall cost increase ($11K) to solar install seems pretty minor in hindsight.
Similar situation here. Very little downtime prior to 2010, but this last 12 month stretch has had 52 hours of downtime.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC