Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zero charge rate in the cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The UMC uses the resistance of the pilot pin to the ground in the adaptor to determine the charge allowable. By adding a resistor to this value one can fool the UMC to charge at a rate larger than that is safe.
You are brave to do this. Might this damage the UMC over time?
On a 15 amp breaker - Best case: Breaker trips......... Worst case: :cursing:

You are brave to do this. Might this damage the UMC over time?
On a 15 amp breaker - Best case: Breaker trips......... Worst case: :cursing:

Worst case is that your house catches on fire (for any reason, doesn't have to be related to your charging setup) and your insurance company refuses to cover you because you modified a listed device to break the law (NEC rules are codified as law). I've seen it happen, unfortunately.

Well THAT would do it. Since most of the drag at highway speeds is due to aerodynamics, a 30 kph headwind will have an enormous effect on your range. Drafting the truck probably saved you a LOT of energy.

I drove home the other night in a very high, buffeting headwind with Cruise on, and it was fascinating to watch the power meter dance up and down in proportion to the headwind I was dealing with, even on perfectly level ground. A real visual confirmation of the aerodynamic effects.