Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

‘22 MY in ultra sub cold tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You must be a serious snow expert. Any recommendations on snow tires, studs, chains? Do you do all 4 wheels? How about driving style?
Not sure about expert, we get cold but lots of other places get more snow than us including parts of Colorado. In my experience you can't go wrong with Nokian tires, their WR all-weathers are great winter tires. I haven't tried the Hakkas but every review of those I have read has been positive. I currently have the Pirelli winters that Tesla has on their store (the Michelins were sold out) and they are okay. We don't use chains here, and although studded tires are legal year-round here, much of the winter is spent on bare dry roads (at least on the major highways and roads) so I don't bother. If you spend more time on rural unplowed or barely-plowed highways they would probably be worth it. All 4 wheels for sure, I would not mix-and-match. I think I'm a pretty good driver (don't we all), I don't accelerate or brake hard and leave plenty of space to the car in front. As you have observed, these cars have tremendous amounts of grip for accelerating but the weight that makes them surefooted off the line also gives them a lot of inertia, so slow down early for corners and stops. Regen is now terrific and does not lock up the wheels at all, which was not always the case.

Traction control can be turned off with slip-start in the event you manage to get stuck, but otherwise I wouldn't want to drive without it, the all-wheel drive is better than any Subaru or Audi I've owned. Sometimes it would be nice to let the tail slide a bit more, but the car makes it hard to get into trouble and one of the reasons we have two of them in the family is the superior safety so I just sigh and carry on.

Have fun learning about what works and what doesn't, and stay warm!

Reactions: DrGriz
I've driven some longer trips in -15 to -25 temps in my 20' M3SP and range really takes a hit - you may be lucky to get 120-150 miles out of a full charge so you have to plan accordingly. Also, the window seals seem to stiffen up and let in more wind noise, although perhaps this is something specific to my car. Haven't driven in these types of temps in my new 23 M3P yet.

Reactions: giga66 and DrGriz
You must be a serious snow expert. Any recommendations on snow tires, studs, chains? Do you do all 4 wheels? How about driving style?
I recommend the Pirelli sottozeros. They came with winter package with unerturbines. I complained about them initially, but I think my issue was related to adjusting to YP ride, not the tires. The tires are great. We’ve had a lot of snow in MN and the car is competent, sure footed, and stops well.

Not sure about expert, we get cold but lots of other places get more snow than us including parts of Colorado. In my experience you can't go wrong with Nokian tires, their WR all-weathers are great winter tires. I haven't tried the Hakkas but every review of those I have read has been positive. I currently have the Pirelli winters that Tesla has on their store (the Michelins were sold out) and they are okay. We don't use chains here, and although studded tires are legal year-round here, much of the winter is spent on bare dry roads (at least on the major highways and roads) so I don't bother. If you spend more time on rural unplowed or barely-plowed highways they would probably be worth it. All 4 wheels for sure, I would not mix-and-match. I think I'm a pretty good driver (don't we all), I don't accelerate or brake hard and leave plenty of space to the car in front. As you have observed, these cars have tremendous amounts of grip for accelerating but the weight that makes them surefooted off the line also gives them a lot of inertia, so slow down early for corners and stops. Regen is now terrific and does not lock up the wheels at all, which was not always the case.

Traction control can be turned off with slip-start in the event you manage to get stuck, but otherwise I wouldn't want to drive without it, the all-wheel drive is better than any Subaru or Audi I've owned. Sometimes it would be nice to let the tail slide a bit more, but the car makes it hard to get into trouble and one of the reasons we have two of them in the family is the superior safety so I just sigh and carry on.

Have fun learning about what works and what doesn't, and stay warm!
I have Hakka R3 SUV tires (235/55R18XL).
They are great for snow, but annoyingly loud on pavement.