Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

‘22 MY in ultra sub cold tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Now! In Colorado and bracing for the cold snap. It’s supposed to drop over 50 degrees today (down to -8 without wind chill)…reminds me of the Day After Tomorrow movie. I’ve been thinking about leaving the climate control on with the car plugged in of course. Any other tips for this cold snap? How much charge might my battery loose? Can the heat pump keep up at this temp and all that glass? Is a plug in electric heater an option? Unfortunately I dont have a cozy garage. Do all the Tesla models have the same cold weather issues? We are considering a MX it I can ever get a test drive (any idea why Tesla may not let me?).

Cheers to everyone in this North Pole weather! It’s actually suppose to be warmer in Barrow, Alaska! Santa might skip us this year!

Jethro

Cold won't be an issue. Snow and ice could make getting into the Tesla difficult if not impractical until fully defrosted. A car cover would be one way to prevent ice and snow from locking down your ride.

Plug in but know that the Tesla Model Y will not warm the battery while parked unless actively charging or preconditioning. Don't leave the Tesla Model Y in Camp mode or Dog mode with the Climate Control turned on. Let the Tesla Model Y enter sleep mode to reduce power consumption.

I would not attempt to use any type of heater as there are many plastic trim panels that could be damaged.

Allow 1 hour or more for defrosting the Tesla Model Y (initiated from the Tesla app) if there is snow and ice. The defroster has two levels, press twice for Maximum windshield defrosting (windshield defroster icon changes from blue to red.) The Tesla app has a hidden control to defrost the vehicle. (Press and hold the Lock/Unlock icon to access the hidden controls, drag the control you want to add to the screen to the row with the Lock/Unlock icon, other standard controls. There is also a hidden control within the Tesla app to internally unlatch the driver's door (not sure if this control can also unlatch the other doors.) in the event the door handle is frozen. Once snow and ice starts to melt clear the windows and roof using a snow brush (the glass can crack under prolonged maximum defrosting with snow on the exterior of the glass.)

The battery will still likely be cold and the Tesla will display the blue snowflake next to the battery icon. Regenerative braking will be reduced or unavailable. (Turn on the new setting under Pedals & Driving to use the friction brakes when regenerative braking is limited/unavailable and you won't notice not having regenerative braking while you drive with a cold battery.)

The Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual has a section on Cold Weather Best Practices. Be sure your tire pressure is set to 42 PSI (add a few extra pounds, pressure drops 1 to 2 PSI for every 10 degree drop in temperature.)

Standard windshield washer fluid can freeze at -15F to 20F (if they even sell that washer blend in Colorado.) Be sure your windshield washer fluid is rated to -25F or below.

Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Last edited:
We’re in the single digits in Minnesota this week. I think the only thing you should do is plug in the car at home and do a precondition around half an hour before you leave home. Other than that, just keep an eye on the consumption and remaining battery percentage so you don’t get stranded somewhere, since I’ve seen the range pretty much cut in half in this type of temperature.

Other than the decreased range, I think the Model Y is great in the winter based on my one and a half winter experience in MN.

Use scheduled departure with preconditioning on the Tesla app. Set Off Peak charging to the same time you are scheduled to leave. That way your Tesla will automatically start charging and preconditioning the battery and cabin temp you’ve set. So in the morning your car will be ready to go.

Reactions: Jethro
Respectfully, I think the OP is putting way too much thought into it.

These cars are sold around the world, to include regions of Canada and northern Europe that see far worse weather than -8º F. The car will be just fine. I live in Minnesota, and cold weather performance was one of the biggest reasons that I went back to an EV so quickly after trying an ICE car again. Once you get used to the instant heat, not needing to idle the engine to defrost the windshield, being able to heat the cabin while parked indoors, and leave the climate control on without wasting a bunch of gas, there’s no going back.

You can waste a bunch of power by keeping your cabin warm all night, but that waste is the only thing you will accomplish. Mine will fry me out of the car in 5 minutes at 0º F. Even 30 minutes of preconditioning seems really excessive to me.

Plug it in overnight. Preheat the cabin as needed to keep yourself comfortable. And please don’t try to use an electric space heater. It’s less efficient than your heat pump, and the best-case scenario is that you waste a bunch of power. Worst-case you burn your car down.

It's -40 here right now, or close enough to make no difference. Don't sweat it, the car will just use more energy per km/mile. Instant heat in the winter is one of the best things about EVs, turn the seat heaters and steering wheel heater on and you'll be nice and comfy.
Yeah but is that in f or C? ;)

As you noted the instant heat is awesome. Every once in a while I jump back into my ICE vehicle and it takes forever to warm up at that temp.

• Funny
Reactions: MattM24 and Jethro
UPDATE: This is the first BIG cold snap with our new MY….thanks for the advice! I have notice that it charges really really slow.
As for the driving, it feels sure footed with the traction control and all (can that be turned off?). I even tried to break it loose without success. However, stopping is total different and I glided through a red light in front of 5 lanes of traffic…Can anyone recommend snow tires??

1671694272750.jpeg

1671694218336.jpeg

It's -40 here right now, or close enough to make no difference. Don't sweat it, the car will just use more energy per km/mile. Instant heat in the winter is one of the best things about EVs, turn the seat heaters and steering wheel heater on and you'll be nice and comfy.
You must be a serious snow expert. Any recommendations on snow tires, studs, chains? Do you do all 4 wheels? How about driving style?

Last edited:
Respectfully, I think the OP is putting way too much thought into it.

These cars are sold around the world, to include regions of Canada and northern Europe that see far worse weather than -8º F. The car will be just fine. I live in Minnesota, and cold weather performance was one of the biggest reasons that I went back to an EV so quickly after trying an ICE car again. Once you get used to the instant heat, not needing to idle the engine to defrost the windshield, being able to heat the cabin while parked indoors, and leave the climate control on without wasting a bunch of gas, there’s no going back.

You can waste a bunch of power by keeping your cabin warm all night, but that waste is the only thing you will accomplish. Mine will fry me out of the car in 5 minutes at 0º F. Even 30 minutes of preconditioning seems really excessive to me.

Plug it in overnight. Preheat the cabin as needed to keep yourself comfortable. And please don’t try to use an electric space heater. It’s less efficient than your heat pump, and the best-case scenario is that you waste a bunch of power. Worst-case you burn your car down.
Respectfully, not too much thought for me. I’m an engineer and Colorado is way different than Minnesota. My county is 4,000 to 14,000 feet, lots of turns, cliffs, few guard rails, we even have a glacier. You slide in the wrongs spot and they find you next spring. It’s wise to be research and prepared, no? Thanks for your input.

Respectfully, not too much thought for me. I’m an engineer and Colorado is way different than Minnesota. My county is 4,000 to 14,000 feet, lots of turns, cliffs, few guard rails, we even have a glacier. You slide in the wrongs spot and they find you next spring. It’s wise to be research and prepared, no? Thanks for your input.
Of course it is. I was trying to answer your question and give you some confidence in your car’s ability in the cold weather.

If you don’t want honest feedback, why bother asking?

Of course it is. I was trying to answer your question and give you some confidence in your car’s ability in the cold weather.

If you don’t want honest feedback, why bother asking?
Dont judge me. I like to collect facts and experiences and develop my own conclusions…again for me. Speak for yourself…only.
Back to the topic…I have little confidence in the MY’s ability to stop with the 19” package. I need snow tires or chains for Colorado.
Have a nice day

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: outdoors
don't worry too much about it. I live in the Rockies at a little over 6,200' elevation. Winter gets to -20/-30F regularly. I plug in at night and set it to warm by the time I leave for work. Right now I have the Pirelli Sotto winter tires and they're fine. I'd like to try the Hakkapelitta tires - I hear they are really good.

Reactions: TomB985
Here is a recent thread regarding cold temperatures with information the OP may find useful:

I would start to think about it at -20F or lower.

It won’t lose charge but it won’t be all accessible until it warms back up (which naturally occurs when you drive).

I purposely NEVER charge in those conditions unless I have to because you spend a lot of energy warming the battery to accept charge. I always charge at the end of my drive when battery is already naturally warm.

If you have to charge off peak then start charging at the start of the off peak time, don’t shoot for the end of it.

Heat cycling is what ages things. Less frequency of heat cycling, less swing in heating, and less slope are all good.

Waiting until battery gets colder and then forcing it to heat quickly will do more harm than good.

The Tesla app has a hidden control to defrost the vehicle. (Press and hold the Lock/Unlock icon to access the hidden controls, drag the control you want to add to the screen to the row with the Lock/Unlock icon, other standard controls. There is also a hidden control within the Tesla app to internally unlatch the driver's door (not sure if this control can also unlatch the other doors.) in the event the door handle is frozen
I swear, one of the the things I love the most about my Tesla is knowing there is a trick or hidden component still yet to learn. This car is so fun.

Reactions: TomB985
I swear, one of the the things I love the most about my Tesla is knowing there is a trick or hidden component still yet to learn. This car is so fun.
There is a next level secret within the hidden commands that lets you choose to display five commands instead of only four.
  1. Open the app and press and hold any of the existing shortcuts until the customize menu pops up.
  2. With one hand, drag any shortcut to the 4th position, but don't let go.
  3. With the other hand, pick another shortcut, and drag this to either the first or second short cut positions, don't let go.

Last edited: