Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Red Shading” Missing From Automatic Blind Spot Camera in Latest Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll ask again. Multiple people in this thread have indicated the red shading only occurs when there is a car in the blind spot AND the turn signal is on. Does your car show red shading without the turn signal on.

Below is the language from the 2023.44 release notes

Automatic Blind Spot Camera​

The blind spot camera view now alerts you with red shading along the edge when your turn signal is on and your vehicle detects an object or another vehicle in your blind spot.
Go to Controls > Autopilot > Automatic Blind Spot Camera.

Are you suggesting you get activation WITHOUT having the blinker on?
I'll ask again. Multiple people in this thread have indicated the red shading only occurs when there is a car in the blind spot AND the turn signal is on. Does your car show red shading without the turn signal on.

Below is the language from the 2023.44 release notes

Automatic Blind Spot Camera​

The blind spot camera view now alerts you with red shading along the edge when your turn signal is on and your vehicle detects an object or another vehicle in your blind spot.
Go to Controls > Autopilot > Automatic Blind Spot Camera.
I’ll answer again.

No. Sometimes when I have the blinker on and there’s a car in my blind spot, I get the red shading, in the blind spot camera frame. Sometimes… no shading, with same conditions. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ll answer again.

No. Sometimes when I have the blinker on and there’s a car in my blind spot, I get the red shading, in the blind spot camera frame. Sometimes… no shading, with same conditions. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Thanks. In posts 14 and 15 there was no mention of having the blinker on which is why I asked. Post 20 didn’t answer the question. I hope this gets straightened out for you and really wish it worked without the blinkers

I didn't think HW4 cameras worked with HW3, or older, FSD computers. Did you do that upgrade yourself?
Yes, self installed. They work fine but of course are restricted to lower fidelity/resolution and encoding quality.

With all my tests the turn signal was engaged and there was a car in the lane adjacent to mine... figured thats a given for this test.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
So any concensus re whether the 'red shading, sidemarker camera feed corner outline' works on legacy HW2.5 USS cars?

Or whether this is another example of a Vision-only feature? (aka works on any/all HW3/4 cars which have been forced onto Vision regardless of whether they have USS or not).

Above we have some members chiming in that the red shading works (although very rarely and somewhat randomly) on their HW2.5 cars... do those cars have EAP/AP/FSD or do we have any examples of non-EAP/AP/FSD HW2.5 where the feature is working?

I for one cant get it to show up even after a hard reset and a forced reinstall of 44.30.5.1

I don't know if it's 2.5 or 3.0. it just says full self driving computer. I have no paid subscriptions to either EAP or FSD. I only use the free features like auto steer. How do I find out what I have?
Since the screen reads 'Full Self Driving Computer' your 2018 was retrofitted with HW3 at some point in its life...

This means that since last year its been forced to Vision-only where the USS hardware is ignored (or at least not visibly used).

Sounds like another vote for HW3+ Vision-only to have red outline working.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
A good system will provide a subtle alert whenever there is a vehicle in your blind spot, such as a small yellow light in the mirror or near the A pillar. Then it should progress to flashing if you signal while a vehicle is in your blind spot, followed by brigher/faster flashing with an audible alert if you cross the lane line or nearly make contact with the other vehicle (18 inches/50 cm or so).

Waiting to provide an alert until the driver has signaled (especially on a screen located where the driver's eyes shouldn't be focused while attempting a lane change) is not optimal IMO.

The lights in the doors near the mirrors (in the Highland refresh) will be a vast improvement over any sort of center-screen-based alerts. Sucks that it requires the stalkless wheel to get it.

Reactions: Perscitus
What I would really like to see is cross traffic alert. Almost every other car has it. I'm surprised that with all the cameras and other sensors on board that the Tesla doesn't have this really useful feature.
Teslas don't have the rear corner radars necessary for cross traffic alert, so will never have that feature. Other cars use those rear corner radars also for the blind spot monitoring.

Reactions: XPsionic and nicksp
Finally saw the red border/shading along the edge of the side marker camera preview earlier this week on the vintage 3.

For HW2.5 USS/Radar cars that are not using Vision-only, the red border/shading appears to show up FAR less often than any HW3/4 cars which are forced onto Vision now regardless of sensor setup.

But at least this confirms Vision and non-Vision cars alike - irrespective of HW, MCU CPU or sensor, sidemarker camera revisions combinations - allow for the red shading/border with 2023 holiday and later software builds.

Finally saw the red border/shading along the edge of the side marker camera preview earlier this week on the vintage 3.

For HW2.5 USS/Radar cars that are not using Vision-only, the red border/shading appears to show up FAR less often than any HW3/4 cars which are forced onto Vision now regardless of sensor setup.

But at least this confirms Vision and non-Vision cars alike - irrespective of HW, MCU CPU or sensor, sidemarker camera revisions combinations - allow for the red shading/border with 2023 holiday and later software builds.
Yeah I’ve finally seen it a FEW times… very sporadically (for seemingly same/similar conditions) but it was NOT included in my release notes. Weird…