Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Why I’m ditching my model 3 reservation” article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still boggles my mind how Tesla has not stated anything publicly about the House's attempt at killing the EV tax credit prematurely.
Both Nissan and GM have stated they will work to preserve the credit....where is Tesla's voice?

Maybe traditional automakers feel it necessary to publicly state their position on the EV tax credit because there may be ambiguity on their position in the first place. It could reasonably be believed that they'd benefit more from the tax credit going away. I don't need a specific public statement from Tesla to understand that the EV tax credit helps the transition to more EVs on the road, and that Tesla shares that goal.

Reactions: tracksyde and DR61
Interesting read from a Journalist on his reasons to cancel his reservation
Why I'm Ditching My Tesla Model 3 Reservation
If he can't let a $1000 ride until he can configure the car then he can't afford it. The tax credit issue would be known to him at that time and and could cancel and get his deposit back.

I also don't care why any one is cancelling nor do I need to l know when they do it.

IN MY OPINION, Tesla would like to see the tax credit go away. This would give them a huge $7,500 advantage over those newcomers into the EV market. Nissan Leaf and GM Bolt are not their competition. Their competition is BMW, Audi, and Porsche concept EVs. If Tesla uses up their EV tax credit allotment in the next 12 to 18 months, the other makers would still have as much as a $7,500 advantage for years to come if the credit remains in place.
This goes against Tesla's stated goals of increasing EV adoption. If they really were concerned about competitors then they wouldn't have released all of their patents for use by everyone.

Still boggles my mind how Tesla has not stated anything publicly about the House's attempt at killing the EV tax credit prematurely.
Both Nissan and GM have stated they will work to preserve the credit....where is Tesla's voice?
I think Tesla is silent because what they want to say would piss off their customers. IMO, Tesla WANTS the tax credit to end. Especially if it ends before most competitive manufacturers get a chance to benefit from it. Tesla is the ONE EV manufacturer that does not need the incentive to sell their cars, so it helps them avoid the advantage other manufacturers will realize once Tesla loses the credit. So, I think Tesla is being quiet so as to not piss off the 500K of orders they have, even though they want the tax credit to go away...

If he can't let a $1000 ride until he can configure the car then he can't afford it. The tax credit issue would be known to him at that time and and could cancel and get his deposit back.

I also don't care why any one is cancelling nor do I need to l know when they do it.

Then why bother commenting or even reading this thread at all?

This is the second post today that i've seen with "If ... Then you can't afford it". Both with exactly zero analysis, (or knowledge of the punters' situation on which to base that analysis).

Some of you should climb down off your high horses and stop looking down your noses at the rest of us.

This goes against Tesla's stated goals of increasing EV adoption. If they really were concerned about competitors then they wouldn't have released all of their patents for use by everyone.
I have this same dilemma in my reasoning. EM is on the record as being at least semi anti incentive because it will create an uneven playing field for the first EV manufacturers. Additionally, Tesla seems to have a product that will continue to have significant demand even without the credit. So, which force wins? Would Tesla rather compete on a level field or see more EV penetration even if it is other competing companies? I don't know, but I think Tesla's silence is telling....

They don’t care. Actually in their best interest for it to go away. Tesla will be able to sell all the 3s they make for next couple of years. With or without credit. If credit remains, they will use it up before meaningful competitors arrive. Why would they want competitors in 2020 to have tax credit when Tesla’s is used up?

I understand your point and agree with you to a certain extent. EM understands that EV adoption is well on its way with more and more countries phasing out ICE vehicles over the next few years and more and more legacy automakers are jumping on the bandwagon, a little late, but later is better than not at all. There has never been a car introduced, sight unseen, with people standing in line for blocks to throw $1000 down. Then the reservations mushroom to 500K! The adoption is so advanced that there is no turning back. In my opinion, EM understands this and he understands that an EV tax credit is not sustainable in perpetuity. It is going to end sometime so now is as good a time as any. I think he is planning well beyond the tax credit to his next assault on the status quo which has infected the US and most of the world. The future is here.

Reactions: insaneoctane
Then why bother commenting or even reading this thread at all?

This is the second post today that i've seen with "If ... Then you can't afford it". Both with exactly zero analysis, (or knowledge of the punters' situation on which to base that analysis).

Some of you should climb down off your high horses and stop looking down your noses at the rest of us.

Your tone and response indicates that a nerve has been struck. Thou doth protest too much.

You're right. I don't know your financial situation, I just know that, generally speaking, buying a car that equals an entire year's post tax salary is a poor (no, scratch that, EXTREMELY POOR) financial decision. There are exceptions such as a person whose income comes from non-traditional sources (investment income, insurance payouts, etc.)... or a person who is in a job with a guaranteed salary increase.

A good rule of thumb is that you shouldn't spend more than 1/10 your gross income per year on an automobile. Other rules of thumb are that a car payment shouldn't be more than around 15% of monthly net income.

My own rule of thumb is that if I can't write a check for it (which might require liquidating some investments, etc.), I probably can't afford it.... current income being no solid reflection of future earning potential and all that. Now is a great time to take advantage of super low interest rates and take the money you'd normally pay outright and invest it.... unfortunately it's also an opportunity for people to become extremely over-leveraged on things like car purchases.

I know several people who went "all out" on car purchases, struggling to buy more car than they could really afford and coming up with all sorts of reasons why it was a really solid idea... a couple of years later every one of them was tired of being car poor. Even worse one person bought an expensive car that was at the tail-end of the warranty and couldn't afford needed repairs... ended up dumping the car at a huge loss.

You're also right that my advice is worth exactly what you paid me for it.

A good rule of thumb is that you shouldn't spend more than 1/10 your gross income per year on an automobile. Other rules of thumb are that a car payment shouldn't be more than around 15% of monthly net income.

I used to have that rule, myself. For fifty years I drove Corollas and cheap Chevys. Then I drove a Tesla. Chuck that rule! Cars are not just to get a person from point A to point B. I suddenly had a smile on my face whenever I went out for a drive, or even to get something from the garage. And I started going from point A to B to C to D, just for the fun of it. I put solar on my roof and added lead acid batteries to my house, all which have paid for themselves.

I've always been careful with my money, and Tesla fits right in. Amazing performance, gorgeous looks, free miles, virtually no maintenance. Yeah, I had to save my money and wait four years to get one, and I drove a Toyota Scion while I waited. But it was worth it.

I think he meant in terms of car payment, not full car value.

Ah, fair point, and in that case with a 50% upfront payment like I plan I'm inside his guidelines. In fact my model 3 repayments would be less than my last car loan + gas (@ $2/ltr ).

Those rules need changing for an EV.
You are paying more on the loan/lease but your running costs become almost nothing. So with an ICE if you had a $800/mo car payment plus $400/mo gas bill you are no worse off with an $1100/mo payment on an EV and $100/mo extra on the electricity bill.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61