Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

03-09-2023 - No Stormwatch for Northern CA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
I am surprised there is no Stormwatch for Northern and Central CA. We must run pumps to keep the yard clear when it rains hard. I am worried about keeping the Powerwalls topped off, given the skies will be overcast. We are forecast to get over 6 inches of rain in the next few days.

I am surprised there is no Stormwatch for Northern and Central CA. We must run pumps to keep the yard clear when it rains hard. I am worried about keeping the Powerwalls topped off, given the skies will be overcast. We are forecast to get over 6 inches of rain in the next few days.
I just put mine to 100% reserve, so the grid fully charges

@jboy210 thanks for putting the date in the thread title 👍

I dont know what these storms are supposed to look like down here in socal, but we are supposed to get some rain over the next few days. I just moved my reserve to 95% (my batteries are fully charged from solar today anyway).

@jboy210 thanks for putting the date in the thread title 👍

I dont know what these storms are supposed to look like down here in socal, but we are supposed to get some rain over the next few days. I just moved my reserve to 95% (my batteries are fully charged from solar today anyway).
After reading @h2ofun post I increased my reserve to 90%. And, given all the dire warnings to stay home on Friday and not driving unless you need to, I am just surprised that Stormwatch has not been activated.

Reactions: h2ofun
We did not lose power even though winds were pretty strong last night. Oddly enough, there are several reports of outages near us this morning after the winds died down
We also had a lot of wind and only had a couple of minor outages. These we detected by the USPes, but did not trip the Powerwalls.

Looking at the PG&E outage maps it looks like people in the Scotts Valley and Monterey/Carmel got hit hard. Power is still out to large groups of PG&E customers in these areas.

I am currently under storm watch here in eastern Los Angeles County for high wind warning even though the NWS high wind warning doesn't extend to my area.

I’m in the circled region.

Attachments

• F50E38A0-464A-4FCC-9794-C21C22EC9A11.png
    F50E38A0-464A-4FCC-9794-C21C22EC9A11.png
    704 KB · Views: 372
  • 46BFB121-A3F8-45C3-9196-643C9278FD77.jpeg
    46BFB121-A3F8-45C3-9196-643C9278FD77.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DD370751-7497-40AA-BBA5-5AFF8EA61CFA.png
    DD370751-7497-40AA-BBA5-5AFF8EA61CFA.png
    464 KB · Views: 24
  • Informative
Reactions: jboy210
I am currently under storm watch here in eastern Los Angeles County for high wind warning even though the NWS high wind warning doesn't extend to my area.

I’m in the circled region.
One thing I did notice is that storm watch only charges the battery to 98-99% even when solar is supplying the house and/or grid. Once storm watch ends, then solar will charge the battery to 100%

Reactions: h2ofun
Well, I am POed.
No storm watch in a while and we had a huge storm come through on Thursday. Lost power early evening. Battery around 60% or less:eek:
Got power back this morning at around 4AM, battery at 17%.
The whole peninsula lost power not just my area on the hillside. Boy, it was dark out there. Only thing lit was the airport that we can see from house on the hillside. And, no Internet, no TV, stations off line. I was lucky that I was able to monitor power walls at the Gateway as it wasn't easy to log in in the past.
Luckily today battery is charged up to 64%.
Another river is coming, still no Storm Watch. :eek:

So far we have been at 100% after being charged from the sun. But it looks like no sun for a few days and a higher likelihood of no grid.
I tried it just now with battery backup set to 90% and battery state at 63%, not charging by grid when I selected "yes." Reading that it may need to be set for 100%, yep, that did the trick, battery is grid charging. :D

Reactions: h2ofun and bemyax
I tried it just now with battery backup set to 90% and battery state at 63%, not charging by grid when I selected "yes." Reading that it may need to be set for 100%, yep, that did the trick, battery is grid charging. :D
Glad that worked for you. I saw the outage in Monterey, and it looked huge. The whole peninsula and lots of Carmel.

Reactions: charlesj
Finally got storm watch today around 11 AM or so for this upcoming weather craziness. :D Sure could have made me a happy camper a few days ago with a full battery.
Glad that worked for you. I saw the outage in Monterey, and it looked huge. The whole peninsula and lots of Carmel.
My poor, not $ poor, neighbor relies on electricity for a sump pump. Friday 3AM with power outage couldn't find gas in Monterey. I had to tell him forcefully that Seaside had power to get gas there for his generator. Happened not long ago as well. Would he stock up on gas? Oh no.