Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

057 Technology extended service plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What was your range when you went in for the replacement? I've heard that the replacements will have "at least what you had when you came in" which in at least one case was software limited TO THAT AGE DEGRADED NUMBER even though it was a new pack. That to me is complete nonsense - if it's a new (or refurb) pack, it shouldn't match what the age-worn pack was down to, that's ridiculous.

When it went in for replacement last week, it was 313 still, it had been 1 year and 22k miles since the last replacement. I'm going to do a couple full charge cycles and see if the BMS does any sort of recalculation before I press the issue. I'm pretty sure my last pack was software limited to that age degraded number of the first pack, because that range never really changed according to all of my TeslaFi logged data..

In addition to @MP3Mike's notes above, the issue is balance.

Multiple variables need to match in every module and cell group in order for the pack to be safe and usable. Otherwise it gets to the point where it's not safe to charge or discharge, and you're stuck.

The core ones are voltage balance, CAC (calculated total capacity) balance, and SoC balance. These are NOT the same things, and this is not an exhaustive list of things that need to match up for a module replacement to viable.

When replacing modules, you usually end up with a "pick one or two but not all three" situation where it's possible to get one or two of these variables close to what's needed to match the rest of the pack, but getting all three is virtually impossible when dealing with existing used battery packs.

You can't put in new cells/modules (even if it were practical to build them new), because these would immediately fail the "CAC" variable vs the rest of the pack, since they're new cells. The pack would quickly go out of balance on the remaining core variables as a result.

You can't put used modules into an existing pack, because used modules will already have their variables setup and built up over their existing life, and they're not going to match up with modules in a pack that lived an entirely different life. If you get one or two variables right, the inevitable result is a feedback loop that amplifies the error over time, eventually resulting in a deviation further and further from the rest of the pack.

I may have useful analogy for understanding how modules that have lived different lives could have some of their parameters (like kWh in/out or CAC) match while other parameters are different:

Take two buckets (or tubs, or dams with reservoirs), fill them with very hard water or muddy water, then drain the water. A residue/sediment line will remain. Do this repeatedly to the buckets, but treat each of the buckets slightly differently. Change things up by leaving the water in for different lengths of time (vary from hours to days to weeks). Sometimes also fill to different levels. Vary the temperatures between the buckets (maybe ice will build up on one). In the end, regardless of when you stop, the residue/sediment lines/bathtub ring lines probably will be different, even if the total water that was passed through the buckets is the same.

Modules from the same set lived the same lives and were always filled/drained the same way, and should have 'bathtub rings' that are really similar. Their differences are small enough to be handled by a passive BMS.

So I've been wondering on this. If the imbalance between various bricks is this severe a problem, how do people use them aftermarket when packs get parted out and people buy some to build a solar backup storage kind of thing? Can you get by with this level of imbalance if you're intentionally narrowing the usable band, like only using it from 20-80%? It doesn't need as much precision then, I guess, if it doesn't need to be accurate down to the bottom of the battery level.

That is probably part of it, but it is also a matter of power. The car usage varies from +250kW to -600kW. For solar storage you are likely looking at +15kW to -20kW. So you aren't putting anywhere near the stress on the cells, and you have much more time for a BMS system to keep things in balance.

My interpretation of the matter, from reading @wk057's posts and other discussions, is that the Tesla BMS is not designed to handle the amount of mismatch that is seen in failed packs, or in module-swapped packs, especially when coupled with a lot of heavy discharge/recharge usage without sufficient rebalancing time in between the heavy usage periods. This is the result of a design decision that reduces BMS parts, complexity, and cost. It appears to work well for a matched set of modules that are not quickly drifting apart.

In contrast, a fancier active BMS (with charging shuttling capability), can tolerate higher levels of mismatch. Such a BMS might be selected for a custom pack (possibly with a translator to whatever the car expects to see) or for a module reuse application like backup storage. These BMSes are more expensive, need more components, and take more space, but are more tolerant of imperfect cells/modules (whichever level of the design they balance at).

A passive BMS has fewer potential failure points within the BMS, but is less able to manage a failing pack with cells/modules that are drifting apart. It also wastefully burns off excess energy.
An active BMS has more potential failure points within the BMS, but is more able to manage a failing pack with cells/modules that are drifting apart. It moves energy instead of burning it off, but it has more overhead to run.

I think active BMSes show more value later in a pack's life, as they can allow for a more gradual degradation in pack usability. This is especially so if the cost of an active BMS can (somehow) be kept low enough, and reliability high enough, to justify their usage vs forcing otherwise avoidable pack swaps. (Devices exist for Toyota Prius batteries than can balance aging Prius NiMH packs.)

Here is some info and examples of such active BMS equipment:
BMS talk: Active vs Passive part 1

This brings up a question for me, as I am on my 3rd 100kwh pack in my 2018 S 100D. What is Tesla doing when they "remanufacture" the packs? The reason I ask is because the first time the pack was replaced, the EPA rated range-o-meter stayed the same at 313 range at 100% SOC. (took 2 months to get the car back from Tesla). The latest replacement (last week) took 3-4 days and the range-o-meter is definitely under 300, I believe 290 ish at 100% SOC. I am probably going to demand another pack under the terms of the warranty, but its obvious they aren't replacing the cells with new ones, unless my car is being software locked? Not sure how to tell..
3x unlucky? On a 100 pack? What kind of mileage and errors were you seeing? That really seems like an unlucky streak. Most things I hear are that the 100 packs are quite reliable.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
On the pack modules though.... I'm curious why they can't be rebuilt with new cells? Is there some security chipping or addressing with the BMS that blocks this and locks things up if you were to try replacing the 18650 cells? (I think that was the model number but I could have that wrong)...
Leave it to Ukrainians to replace cells 😂

PS. At 2:20-2:50 he mentions that one module was replaced n car drove 2yrs... miles unknown of course. Take it with a grain of salt.

Leave it to Ukrainians to replace cells 😂

PS. At 2:20-2:50 he mentions that one module was replaced n car drove 2yrs... miles unknown of course. Take it with a grain of salt.
Well that's terrifying.

No thermal management? ✅
Minimal physical protection? ✅
Tesla BMS going to absolutely freak out when things don't match up with what's expected for the chemistry? ✅

Definitely can't use the Tesla stock BMS with different cell types without headaches. Have tried this a bunch over the years. Only way to do it was to roll my own BMS.

No thermal management? ✅
He actually said at the end of video that cooling system is there, in place of cross members between original modules
But yeah, that pack structural integrity is def compromised
I don't speak Ukrainian / Russian, but how'd he do that battery monitor screen on the dash? That's kinda cool.
I think that's part of Factory Mode, not sure how to enable that myself tho...

I don't speak Ukrainian / Russian, but how'd he do that battery monitor screen on the dash? That's kinda cool.
It's a panel on the IC called "Dev Readouts" or something like that. Only way I know of to enable it these days is to connect directly to the IC ethernet (no go on MCU2) and command it to change that panel directly using an API call.

He actually said at the end of video that cooling system is there, in place of cross members between original modules
But yeah, that pack structural integrity is def compromised
I don't see how any cooling could reach every cell in that design. It also sounds like nonsense, because I can somewhat see in other parts of the video that they just bypassed the pack coolant lines on the vehicle side.

I wasn't even going to bother noting that it's clearly not structurally safe... I thought that was obvious enough.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Great thread, I just bought a 2014 S with the BMS_u29 error code and thought about trying repair it at a local shop but if opening the battery will cause an extra 20k on the top of the 18k (CAD) at Tesla, I think I'll go directly with a swap 😳
Also, my local SC told me that I get a 8y warranty, is this an error?

Great thread, I just bought a 2014 S with the BMS_u29 error code and thought about trying repair it at a local shop but if opening the battery will cause an extra 20k on the top of the 18k (CAD) at Tesla, I think I'll go directly with a swap 😳
In USA Tesla has a 4 yr/50k mile warranty on both their customer paid reman or new replacement packs. Also you should not have an extra 20k on top of 18k. Screenshot_20231211_101329_Drive.jpg

Reactions: henderrj
I think Tesla should start warranting replacement packs for 8 years. ESPECIALLY if a customer is paying for a new pack. The 4 year logic doesn’t make any sense on a new pack

I think Tesla should start warranting replacement packs for 8 years. ESPECIALLY if a customer is paying for a new pack. The 4 year logic doesn’t make any sense on a new pack
the only reason they offer 8 years to begin with on new cars is they're required to by US law.

Everything's a balance - extending the warranty an extra 4 years isn't free and it's not like Tesla won't pass that cost on to customers.

Reactions: brainhouston
Nope. There is no requirement for the length of the battery warranty on BEVs. (That only applies to HEVs and PHEVs, and it is at least 10 years, if I recall correctly, though it may only be in California.)
There are hundreds of references to such a law on seemingly credible sites like KBB, Capital One, etc etc - although it does seem that none of them bother linking to or citing any particular section of code. 🤷‍♂️

Anyway. Maybe so. I've lost the interest to keep digging.

There are hundreds of references to such a law on seemingly credible sites like KBB, Capital One, etc etc - although it does seem that none of them bother linking to or citing any particular section of code. 🤷‍♂️
I know, a lot of site have wrong information, and it keeps getting propegated.

One of them had a link to their "source" but all that source said was:
Several manufacturers of electric vehicles are offering 8-year/100,000-mile battery warranties.
I think the Federal Government was thinking about making a requirement, but I don't think it actually happened. Here is an article from April of this year about the EPA's proposal:

Then there is the California law, which if it applied to BEVs would mean Tesla is violating the requirements. (As it requires a minimum of 10 years/150k miles.)

1702330312830.png

Notice that it only applies to Partial Zero Emission Vehicles. It does not apply to BEVs, i.e. fully electric vehicles. (I do think it is weird that PZEVs have a really long battery warranty in California, but not BEVs.)

This has been discussed here in the past.

This is one of my pet peeves, the others are like people claiming that there is a federal requirement for OEMs to supply parts for at least 10 years after a vehicle is made, when no such thing exists, and people claiming they just bought a CPO from Tesla, when Tesla hasn't had a CPO program in years.