Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

057 Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I misunderstanding something?

Sounds like "If nothing happens to your battery while under coverage, we'll keep your money, but if it fails, we'll refund you what you paid... take your car elsewhere".
Yes, you are. This is a service contract/warranty, of course they keep your money if your battery doesn't fail while under coverage.

My understand is this: Provisional coverage starts once you pay for the warranty. If you suffer a failure before you receive, and install, the BMB, they will cover it as long as the logs shows the failure happened after you bought the warranty. Once you receive, and install, the BMB it checks the logs and tests the pack, and if the pack passes your official warranty terms starts. If your pack fails the initial tests, they refund your money after you return the BMB and you have no coverage.

• Informative
Reactions: father_of_6
Am I misunderstanding something?

Sounds like "If nothing happens to your battery while under coverage, we'll keep your money, but if it fails, we'll refund you what you paid... take your car elsewhere".
As I understood their terms of service they had a "no refunds, except" section which included a clause saying if the BMD device indicates something amiss with your battery already we won't cover you and will refund you instead. Of course no BMD was received by many customers including myself.

Anyway I shouldn't speculate based on fuzzy memory.

• Informative
Reactions: father_of_6
"If nothing happens to your battery while under coverage, we'll keep your money..."
Yes, this part is true, it is an insurance policy. If you didn't have an accident last year you don't get a refund on your car insurance premium either.
Yeah but if you have an accident, the insurance company doesn’t get to say, “well now that you’ve had an accident we’ve determined that you weren’t eligible, so here’s your premium back and take care of the accident yourself”.

I think the more interesting question is whether, upon finding that the car is ineligible, but before a failure, do you get your entire premium back?

Yeah but if you have an accident, the insurance company doesn’t get to say, “well now that you’ve had an accident we’ve determined that you weren’t eligible, so here’s your premium back and take care of the accident yourself”.

I think the more interesting question is whether, upon finding that the car is ineligible, but before a failure, do you get your entire premium back?
I think the fact that the need to answer these questions even exists is why we're likely witnessing the implosion of the implosion of the entire thing.

I think the fact that the need to answer these questions even exists is why we're likely witnessing the implosion of the implosion of the entire thing.
The answer already exists in the terms under "Cancellations and Refunds":

"If Your vehicle does not initially qualify for coverage under this Service Plan as the result of a disqualification by the Battery Monitoring Device, you are entitled to cancel and receive a refund under these terms. The Service Plan will not have been considered active and no portion of the term has been used."

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
The answer already exists in the terms under "Cancellations and Refunds":

"If Your vehicle does not initially qualify for coverage under this Service Plan as the result of a disqualification by the Battery Monitoring Device, you are entitled to cancel and receive a refund under these terms. The Service Plan will not have been considered active and no portion of the term has been used."
That’s very clear in the case where battery monitoring devices have actually been delivered to customers.

Reactions: dannycamps
I would say any and all questions regarding warranty coverage are moot until we can establish whether a.) the company even exists still, b.) if the company was sold, will the warranty programs carry over to the new company, and c.) if not, what happens to people who purchased the warranty protection.

So if it helps anyone with the decision making process, I had a dream last night where I visited their shop in NC. It was completely empty. I took a video of it with my phone.

But here's where things get crazy. When I woke up this morning to check my phone for the video the video wasn't there! Seems to me there's some organizations very high up in the food chain trying to cover something up.

Same idea as scanmytesla which uses a bluetooth data logger connected to the OBD2 port under the center MCU with a cable harness adapter.

Never heard of this causing a problem on any car since OBD2 ports were standardized in 1996.

You're not hooking up a low voltage thing to your HV battery. It is as likely as charging your phone to damage anything.

moot until we can establish whether a.) the company even exists still, b.) if the company was sold, will the warranty programs carry over to the new company, and c.) if not, what happens to people who purchased the warranty protection.

Here is a summary of what I think we know at this point:
  • It was reported that Jason told someone that he sold 057tech.
  • That same person said that the shop in Hickory, NC is now empty.
  • @wk057 said that their server was down while it was moved.
  • Someone reported that they had received contact recently after filling out the form online.
So, it sounds like he likely did sell the company, and the new owner(s) have relocated it. (But the new owner(s) haven't updated any of the contact information/address on the site yet.) Hopefully they can get their act together and update things and provide current information to everyone soon.

As far as if the existing warranties carry over, my understanding is that if someone bought the company they inherit all of the debt, including warranty liabilities. (Unless they were somehow split off into a separate company.)

I bought a warranty in the summer of 2022 and did not receive my plug in device. I called them on August 1 and spoke to Russ and and he said everything was still in place and they were still having issues with parts and not able to make new battery monitors. He also said they had a server crash about a week and a half prior to my call (sounds like a lot of sever issues). Reading this thread doesn't sit well though.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
@wk057 last message is here.

This thread (and similar thread not receiving monitoring device for a long time) does sounds a little concerning, I like to see them succeed but business is business and we cannot control much of it. Searching the NC secretary of state business site, suggests the company has been administrative dissolved on Feb 28, 2023.

Hopefully, Jason can answer the question.

1697840727333.png

Last edited:
This thread (and similar thread not receiving monitoring device for a long time) does sounds a little concerning, I like to see them succeed but business is business and we cannot control much of it. Searching the NC secretary of state business site, suggests the company has been administrative dissolved on Feb 28, 2023.
Maybe the new owners moved the business to a different state? (Assuming it was actually sold.)

Reactions: cbdream99
@wk057 last message is here.

Hopefully, Jason can answer the question.

View attachment 983958
The last activity from 057technology on X.com was in August. Something must have happened to them.

So, this is not ment to be a moderator note or anything, because I have zero clue about any of this. I have been reading along with this thread, out of curiosity.

The last post from wk057 might have been when @cbdream99 mentioned, but as I was looking at this, I saw they were on TMC a bit ago, reviewing this thread.

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 5.09.53 PM.png

So again I want to be clear that I have no idea what any of that might mean, or who might be logged in under that account, or any of that. I just was curious when the last time they logged in here was, and they happened to be logged in and saw they looked at it a bit earlier this evening.

Hopefully there is an update to at least some of this by whomever is operating that account.