Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1,2kWh usage for 43km..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MusQueTear

Aug 15, 2017
NL
20170920_141712.jpg EV 1,2kWh overall for 43km Mont Ventoux up and down.. Today with Nissan Leaf. Maybe 1,5kWh as my wife drove up alone in the Leaf and together downhill. That's +75kg extra downhill! Will our ordered Model3 ( or maybe secondhand ModelS ...hatchback and ample space for bikeS... ) beat this?

Reactions: SageBrush
View attachment 248764 EV 1,2kWh overall for 43km Mont Ventoux up and down.. Today with Nissan Leaf. Maybe 1,5kWh as my wife drove up alone in the Leaf and together downhill. That's +75kg extra downhill! Will our ordered Model3 ( or maybe secondhand ModelS ...hatchback and ample space for bikeS... ) beat this?
30 Wh/km ?

I don't think so. Just the road friction is going to be 0.009*1500*9.8*1000 = 132,200 J per km = 36 Wh per km for a 1500 Kg car and a tyre with 0.009 RR

In my very efficient Prius Prime I can manage 125 Wh/mile in ideal conditions at ~ 30 - 40 mph

Is this just a case of confusing comma usage as decimals by Europeans? ;)

EV 1,2kWh overall for 43km Mont Ventoux up and down.. Today with Nissan Leaf.

No, you didn't. Not unless it was downhill both ways. ;)

Will our ordered Model3 ( or maybe secondhand ModelS ...hatchback and ample space for bikeS... ) beat this?

No, it won't.

It all depends on the speed. That's 36 km/kWh. Somebody managed to get 90 km/kWh in a Model S by driving a constant 40 km/h.

New Tesla Model S hypermiling record: over 900 km (560 miles) on a single charge

No, they didn't.

The article you linked to doesn't say what the average efficiency was for that extreme-hypermiling driver, but it does say that the lowest energy consumption averaged over a 10km stretch was 88 Wh/km, not 90 km/kWh. Big difference between those units.

If a S85D actually got 90 km/kWh it could go over 7000km on a charge. :D

Jsmay311 you must be right.Sorry!
12kWh makes sense for 21,5km upmountain and 21,5km down, 43km totall. Average 3,6kWh per km. Normally we have
with our 30kWh Leaf on the highway 5km per kWh and in town/village 7km per kWh.
Thx and best regards from Europe....

Jsmay311 you must be right.Sorry!
12kWh makes sense for 21,5km upmountain and 21,5km down, 43km totall. Average 3,6kWh per km. Normally we have
with our 30kWh Leaf on the highway 5km per kWh and in town/village 7km per kWh.
Thx and best regards from Europe....
Just to finish this Thread, when storing my holiday pictures, I combined the Leaf range when reaching the Mt Ventoux top (41% and 39km after 20,6km up and before that 24,5km flat, is a total of 55km ) and 20,6km later when arriving at the foot (63% range). Top -> Down was anyway 6,6kWh recharged. Sorry I / we did not take battery % picture before going up, at the foot of Mt Ventoux.
Recharge.Top.Down.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: shrspeedblade
This thread does make me wonder a bit about the conversion efficiency of kinetic energy (in the speed of the vehicle) to potential energy (when climbing) and back over hilly terrain. We do see discussed the regen efficiency from battery chemical energy to motion and back as 30-70%. Seems like KE to PE to KE might be fairly efficient. Plus added 0.2 Kwh or so from husband getting in at the top of the mountain...

This thread does make me wonder a bit about the conversion efficiency of kinetic energy (in the speed of the vehicle) to potential energy (when climbing) and back over hilly terrain. We do see discussed the regen efficiency from battery chemical energy to motion and back as 30-70%. Seems like KE to PE to KE might be fairly efficient. Plus added 0.2 Kwh or so from husband getting in at the top of the mountain...

Even though it is indeed a pity that we did not take a battery % picture at the foot of Mt Ventoux ...as proof..., making some calculations now afterwards based upon the top arrival % picture ( 41% battery is a range of about 39km and knowing from experience the Leaf is quite accurate in range recalculation, nice with a small battery... ) makes you wonder what battery % it really takes ( up down ) overall.

Next Up Down Battery % Test I learned from all above remarks will include also average speed up and down.... It's fun EV downhill ( down mountain in this case ) recharging while ice's go downhill roaring in 2nd gear.