Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 Million Miles? What are you on track for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought mine assuming I'd get at least 500,000 km out of it in 10 - 12 years, which is about 310,000 miles. I plan to retire before I would actually be able to accumulate 1M miles though! I should be able to get to 1M km's...

Edit: forgot to mention, the Leaf reached 175,000 km (~110,000 miles) in 4.5 years and basically still drives like new. (Range not like new though!)

I plan on owning my Model 3 as my daily driver through at least the end of 2027. I seem to do about 20,000 miles/year so I'll be in the ballpark of 200,000 miles by the time I move on to my 5th generation Tesla.

My wife and I are hopefully going to be buying a Model Y around 2021 or so. Hopefully that one lasts us equally long.

I think the point of the 1 million mile claim was simply to say the motor is essentially indestructible - not that the car would be good for 1 million miles. I’m not an ICE expert, but imagine what it would take to maintain the full functionality of an ICE engine for 1 million miles.

I think the point of the 1 million mile claim was simply to say the motor is essentially indestructible - not that the car would be good for 1 million miles. I’m not an ICE expert, but imagine what it would take to maintain the full functionality of an ICE engine for 1 million miles.
There are many 1 million mile ICE engines out there. Last time I was deployed I drove 5 different land cruisers that had 500k to 800k km (~300-500k miles) on the odometer all of were driven entirely not on paved roads and I’m sure PM was done minimal to say the least.

Here is a story about the tear down of the 2007 million mile Tundra.
Million Mile Tundra: The Tear Down

There are many 1 million mile ICE engines out there. Last time I was deployed I drove 5 different land cruisers that had 500k to 800k km (~300-500k miles) on the odometer all of were driven entirely not on paved roads and I’m sure PM was done minimal to say the least.

Here is a story about the tear down of the 2007 million mile Tundra.
Million Mile Tundra: The Tear Down

I stand corrected and better informed. So perhaps the point was to demonstrate capabiliity comprable with some of the best engineering. Either way - it still is an important accomplishment and bodes well for the durability and life span for Tesla vehicles.

I stand corrected and better informed. So perhaps the point was to demonstrate capabiliity comprable with some of the best engineering. Either way - it still is an important accomplishment and bodes well for the durability and life span for Tesla vehicles.
And I fully agree with you that he just threw a number (million) out there to say the motor(s) will essentially last forever. Which makes sense.