Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 Year and No AC Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 1 year and 15k miles, I checked my Cabin Air Filters today. They were dry and clean, with very little dust or particles. I checked the coil compartment and it was clean and dry.

I live about 5 miles from the ocean in NC and it is hot and humid for about half the year. I keep my AC on Auto all of the time and just adjust temp setting as needed. The AC control on auto does a great job for me.

I read so many complaints about bad smells. It is becoming somewhat obvious to me that those that are having problems prefer to run their AC on manual and with a lot of recirc. To me this is their problem and not a Tesla problem.

I read so many complaints about bad smells. It is becoming somewhat obvious to me that those that are having problems prefer to run their AC on manual and with a lot of recirc. To me this is their problem and not a Tesla problem.
Just my experience, I have owned many new vehicles, I always run recirc. as exhaust smells enter my car without it on., I have never had any issues with the kind of smell that I had in my model 3, I understand that there was a software update to fix the problem, I had my car in for service and they cleaned the coil and changed the cabin filters, problem solved and i'll continue to run recirc.

Just my experience, I have owned many new vehicles, I always run recirc. as exhaust smells enter my car without it on., I have never had any issues with the kind of smell that I had in my model 3, I understand that there was a software update to fix the problem, I had my car in for service and they cleaned the coil and changed the cabin filters, problem solved and i'll continue to run recirc.

My previous car, 2010 Prius, had an issue with too much recirc and smells. I would always turn my AC off before pulling in driveway so that the fan could run so coils would warm and stop condensation before turning it off.

The software update does this same thing by running the fan for a period of time after turning the car off.

I think you were lucky to get yours serviced by the SC. I see now that Tesla appears to no longer accept the AC smell as a warranty item.

Last edited:
Reactions: afadeev
I think you were lucky to get yours serviced by the SC. I see now that Tesla appears to no longer accept the AC smell as a warranty item.
I did pay for the service, I was ok with that as they took care of so many other items and I did not expect free cabin filters either.
Also, its the first time in 33k miles the car has been in for service, really love this car for so many reasons!

Reactions: jdcollins5
After 1 year and 15k miles, I checked my Cabin Air Filters today. They were dry and clean, with very little dust or particles. I checked the coil compartment and it was clean and dry.

I live about 5 miles from the ocean in NC and it is hot and humid for about half the year. I keep my AC on Auto all of the time and just adjust temp setting as needed. The AC control on auto does a great job for me.

I had smells in early August. I run ac 100% of the time (in SoCal), and always on Auto. The only time I had it on recirc was when I was driving thru the SF Bay Area during the fires last year.

However, whatever smells I had only lasted for a week or so. They are now gone, before I could get the filter checked out.

I only ran recirculate and never had a smell after 1 year. Manual tends to be more efficient if you don’t mind staying on top of it.

If you run fan to low and temp too low you might have too much water in the system.

I would always turn my AC off before pulling in driveway so that the fan could run so coils would warm and stop condensation before turning it off.

+1 on AC off before parking for the night, and avoiding recirc.

Zero issues with smelly AC in my car fleet, ever.

My cabin filter does get clogged with pollen and pine needles, so I either take it out and shake out the dirt, or replace it every other year or thereabouts.

YMMV,
a

• Disagree
Reactions: tvad and jdcollins5
I never use recirculate or auto ac, but have the temp set at 70 and manually change fan speed as needed. As you know it's humid in Florida and I contribute the software update that keeps your fan going to solve any potential issue with smells. I've had my model 3 for 10 months.

Reactions: jdcollins5
My cabin filter does get clogged with pollen and pine needles, so I either take it out and shake out the dirt, or replace it every other year or thereabouts.

I bought an A/C input cover like the one XLR82XS referenced for my Model 3 months ago because I have a birch tree near my driveway. For the price it's a good investment. Sounds like you could definitely use one!

I have run my AC 100% on Auto from day one. I started getting the smell within 4 months of owning the car. Been fighting it with multiple SC trips multiple cabin filter changes and coil cleanings for going on 2 years now.

Maybe it doesn’t get hot enough where you live to cause the problem? In my neck of the woods I see 110 temps regularly and the internal temps in the car get up to 150 degrees. Cabin overheat didn’t exist in the software the entire first summer I owned the car, so that wasn’t a factor either.

It is becoming obvious to me that people who have this issue live in hotter climates than those who don’t. Your data point fits my theory.

CF470B81-2DE5-47FE-BFDC-D9AB58E13E98.jpeg

61D4D957-EA88-4CC9-ACC9-6F60D8927E5A.jpeg

Last edited:
I have run my AC 100% on Auto from day one. I started getting the smell within 4 months of owning the car. Been fighting it with multiple SC trips multiple cabin filter changes and coil cleanings for going on 2 years now.

Maybe it doesn’t get hot enough where you live to cause the problem? In my neck of the woods I see 110 temps regularly and the internal temps in the car get up to 150 degrees. Cabin overheat didn’t exist in the software the entire first summer I owned the car, so that wasn’t a factor either.

It is becoming obvious to me that people who have this issue live in hotter climates than those who don’t. Your data point fits my theory.

View attachment 463220
View attachment 463221

Your theory does not work for quite a few people in Florida.