Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10-30 or 14-30

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning to road trip down to my Mom's house in Tucson, AZ, and I'm trying to iron out how to charge while I'm there (nearest supercharger is ~50 miles away). She has an electric dryer just inside from the garage, so that's the obvious place to plug in, and I would just need to have the right adapter. Since I don't have either a 10-30 or 14-30 adapter, I'll need to buy one - just need to figure out which one.

I'm not sure if she has a 10-30 or a 14-30 outlet, though, and I'd rather not have her back there unplugging it to find out. Her house was built in 1995, and as far as I can tell that was right around the time where new houses started switching to 14-30's, so that seems inconclusive.

Is there any way to tell what kind of outlet is there, short of actually unplugging the dryer and looking at it?

IMG_1131.JPG

Please get the 14-30 adapter from Tesla. If you need to, you can make a 10-30 adapter from a Home Depot dryer cord and enclosed 14-30 socket. Many of the adapters pictured above use 14-50 sockets which don't indicate the circuit capacity to the UMC. You have to rely on setting the current limit correctly in the car and hope it stays there.

HDX 6 ft. 10/3 3-Wire Dryer Cord-HD#627-833 - The Home Depot
Leviton 30 Amp Single Surface Mounted Single Outlet, Black-R60-55054-000 - The Home Depot

Makes sense, thanks. I remember seeing a wiring guide somewhere for making adapters like this (e.g. which wires go to which), but I can't find the link now. Anyone happen to have that link handy? Useful not only for me, but for anyone else who comes across this thread in the future...

Thanks!

I'm not sure if she has a 10-30 or a 14-30 outlet, though, and I'd rather not have her back there unplugging it to find out. Her house was built in 1995, and as far as I can tell that was right around the time where new houses started switching to 14-30's, so that seems inconclusive.
IIRC, NEC deprecated the NEMA 10 outlets in 1996, so your Mom's house probably has a 10-30 unless they adopted the new code early. I'd get a 14-30 adapter and the parts to build a 10-30P<->14-30R adapter as @miimura suggested. Return them unused and get your $40 back if your Mom has a 14-30.

I prefer to carry around a (custom made) 14-30 extension cord. It's lighter weight, and give fast enough charging for overnight. You can cut off the L-shaped neutral pin to plug into any 14-xx outlet. Using a 14-30 adapter keeps the charge rate at the lowest (safest) value.