Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.8 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He told us stories of wearing a snow suit in the winter because he couldn't use the heat!
Yes - a lot more dedicated people than I.

I didn't have to do stuff like that - just had to carefully monitor the charge and heater usage. I even built dedicated AVR-CAN based device to track charge. (circa. 2011)

1640037085189.png

You can set an offset - I have mine set to the speed limit +4 MPH. The problem is it’s a static offset; it doesn’t liberalize it going down hills, etc.

It’s also possible to ‘coast’ with regenerative braking just like you can with an ice car, it’s just not as easy. If you let up on the pedal, you’ll see the battery charge/drain bar on top of the display go to ‘0’ which means your neither charging nor discharging; effectively coasting.

Yes, I wasn't referring to a speed limit offset (which we have already). I was talking about a set-speed offset, particularly on the positive side, so the car can coast down hills within reason for efficiency optimization. And I was talking in FSD context, so not talking about manually feathering the accelerator.

Is it more economical to use the heater or seat heater ?

seat heater by far. Wh/mi(km) virtually unaffected by the seat heaters. HVAC heat will cut your range by 20-40% depending on the delta T. Apparently you don't need much energy to conduct heat from the seat to your butt and back. but convective heat transfer to raise air temp requires way more energy.

seat heater by far. Wh/mi(km) virtually unaffected by the seat heaters. HVAC heat will cut your range by 20-40% depending on the delta T. Apparently you don't need much energy to conduct heat from the seat to your butt and back. but convective heat transfer to raise air temp requires way more energy.
Thank you Novox😀👍
I have other questions, if using the heater is it more economical to close the vent to the rear seat and turn down the passenger temperature (because you can’t switch off the passenger vent) and just heat the driver?

Thank you Novox😀👍
I have other questions, if using the heater is it more economical to close the vent to the rear seat and turn down the passenger temperature (because you can’t switch off the passenger vent) and just heat the driver?

pretty sure rear vent auto-shuts if there's no one back there. Even so, I don't think this will save you much energy. Lowering the set point will be the best bet. The heated seats on its highest setting is pretty hot, so you can get away with 20C / 68F set point and still feel comfortable.

And if you're in a bind (worried about running out of range), then shut off the HVAC completely, keep the heated seats on, and only turn on HVAC as soon as you see your windows fogging up. Turn back off in 1-2 min, when the A/C dehumidifies the cabin.

(I don't have the new heat pump hvac, so can't speak to efficiency optimization for the newer cars)

Electrek 10.7/10.8 Article
Nothing in this article will be a surprise to anyone following this thread but it's interesting to read an article that is meant for a wider audience that doesn't follow the details like we do. While I know there are strong opinions on Fred Lambert that discussion is not the purpose of posting this link.

Electrek 10.7/10.8 Article
Nothing in this article will be a surprise to anyone following this thread but it's interesting to read an article that is meant for a wider audience that doesn't follow the details like we do. While I know there are strong opinions on Fred Lambert that discussion is not the purpose of posting this link.
Thanks for sharing. I normally keep up with their articles but recently I've been a real slacker! But yes nothing new to this group.

Ofcourse you don't get "official announcement" for this ...

thanks, hopefully, "Improved speed profile for unprotected left turns when visibility is low." slows down the car enough on the street approaching my house. It's a 25 mph limit street with no center line and a totally blind left hand curve. Currently, FSD 10.6.1 wants to take it at 25 mph while I usually take it at 15 mph. It also still wants to drive down the middle of the street when it should be hugging the right side (since it can't possibly see around the curve). It still somewhat scary when I manually reduce the speed to 15 mph with the scroll wheel.

Reactions: aronth5
Rollouts have slowed likely due to the same couple of coders are now dealing with hundreds more reports from all the new beta button testers. Too much data is also why there is very little improvement from one 15 day update to the next. More beta testers will only make things worse unless they get Dojo up and running or hire many more analysts to process the increased work load.

Meanwhile, the beta test group are not getting the new features we are seeing in 44.5 on the non-beta FSD releases. Because of that I dropped out of beta FSD in my Model Y.
I think if you went back to a much earlier FSD beta version you would be shocked at how much it has improved. It's just trickier to notice when the fixes come in small fast increments (agile sprints). Like boiling a frog.

If Tesla is able to expand regenerative braking in AutoPilot to go all the way to 0 mph (no physical use of the actual brakes), why can't Tesla add that feature for cars that currently don't have that feature when not even using AP/FSD?
I'd love to be able to do one pedal driving, but my 2017 Model S currently can't do that.
My understanding is certain cars cannot do this as a result of the different motor technology (though I can never remember which cars now which motor tech). Essentially some motor types cannot work as generators at low revs.